Favorite Quotations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Stay with the contradiction. If you stay, you will see the there is always something more than two opposing truths. The whole truth always includes a third part, which is the reconciliation. . . . Try to be quiet inside in the midst of the contradiction. Don't be impatient.

Jacob Needleman, I am not I

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What is the precise moment, in the life of a country, when tyranny takes hold?

It rarely happens in an instant; it arrives like twilight, and, at first, the eyes adjust.

Evan Osnos

Danoh

I forget who said it, but I have always liked the observation "to know, and not yet to do, is not yet to know."

Another being "feed a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Along its line, is one I came up with, over time, with application of the first of those two - the understanding that 'any success involving having known "the right people" is not really so much about "knowing the right people," rather, about knowing how to get to know such people - and that...is a learn-able skill.'

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
:chuckle:

My kids to this day quote so many lines from that movie, and when they get started on a round, they can't stop laughing. :chuckle:

When one of them was looking for chapstick, this invariably followed:

"Can you bring me my chapstick?

... But my lips hurt real bad!"

They watched it so many times... on the other hand, my sister sat through 15 minutes and got up and walked out of the theater. It's kind of polarizing that way. :chuckle:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
If you don't believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah, and that he rose again from the dead and by his sacrifice our sins are forgiven, you're really not in any meaningful sense a Christian.

Christopher Hitchens​
The guy was an ATHEIST.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This quote is from a game called Civilization 6. It is a summary of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Danoh

Exactly my point. :)
Even in teaching the Gospel. :thumb:

That's why I quoted him, and that's why I requoted him, because if an atheist understands the Gospel, then shouldn't Christians? :)

:chuckle:

I barely post on TOL much, these days, as I've grown quite bored with the same old minds, ever stuck in the same old mud - but your above proved irresistible.

In that you have just proven what I have often asserted to many a deaf ear on TOL - that the following does not refer to the lost being unable to understand the Scripture.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Acts 17:11,12

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As a whole part of 'psychological education' it needs to be remembered that a neurosis can be valuable; also that 'adjustment' to a sick and insane environment is of itself not 'health' but sickness and insanity.

James Agee