Favorite Quotations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Have a favorite quotation?

Famous, infamous, obscure, secular, religious, ancient, modern. profound, pithy or humorous: post it here.

If you have context or commentary, feel free to add that too.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!
You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.
In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.
You were with me, but I was not with you.
Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all.
You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.
You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.
You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you.
I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.
You touched me, and I burned for your peace.

St. Augustine

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Here was a man who had escaped from tradition and authority, who had entered into himself and looked out upon life through his own being and with his own eyes; and who in a direct and simple way, told us what he saw.

Kate Chopin, author 1850-1904

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them." ~ Joshua Liebman

"Simple morality dictates that unless and until someone can prove the unborn human is not alive, we must give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it is (alive). And, thus, it should be entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." ~ Ronald Reagan 1982

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Buzzword

Sooo many.

"Someday, after we have mastered the air, the winds, the tides and gravity, we will harness for God the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”
-Albert Einstein

“You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.”
-Eric Hoffer

"The problem in this country today is that all elections have winners and losers, but in every election, the politicians always win, and all the rest of us always lose. Obviously, voting guarantees that one or another politician wins. It is a rigged game for sure, so all should stay home this election. There are so many better things to do in life than to vote for one or the other evil, especially when that evil will be your master! As I have said before, if no one voted, no one would be elected, and what a wonderful world that would be!"
-Gary Banett

“Our God and soldier we alike adore
- Just at the brink of ruin not before -
The danger past, both are alike requited;
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.”
Robert Maynard Hutchins

“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”
-Fred Rogers

“What an astonishing thing a book is. It’s a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you’re inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.”
-Carl Sagan

"Divide and conquer – that’s what they try to do to any group trying to make social change. Black people are supposed to turn against Puerto Ricans. Women are supposed to turn against their mothers and mothers-in-law. We’re all supposed to compete with each other for the favors of the ruling class."
-Florynce R. Kennedy

Buzzword

“The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last in it and not be smashed by it, and it is the same way with your work. This is at once a rule for the conduct of your life and a rule for the conduct of art: to last, and to do work that will last.”
-Ernest Hemingway

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin

“It is time that Christians were judged more by their likeness to Christ than their notions of Christ. Were this sentiment generally admitted we should not see such tenacious adherence to what men deem opinions and doctrines of Christ while at the same time, in everyday practice, is exhibited anything but the likeness of Christ.”
-Lucretia Mott

"Wherever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science, it is killed."
-Joseph Campbell

“Man. He sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present. The result being that he does not live in the present or the future. He lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived.”
-The Dalai Lama

“I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You’d be surprised how far that gets you.”
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
caring......

caring......

~*~*~

I just thought to share a quote I heard on our local Catholic station, but I dont recall who its attributed to.

"People dont care how much you know... until they know how much you care".

Interesting reversal-play on words brings contrasting insights.

pj