One Sentence Movie Reviews

Arthur Brain

Army Of Darkness: The third in Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" Trilogy. First one was over the top splat horror, innovative with a bit of comedy. Second was almost a remake of the first with more comedy. Third one:

A laugh riot.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Good to see a few familiar faces about. :cheers:

yoshitoshi-9.jpg

Yoshitoshi Kanemaki

I mean on separate people.

Oh.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Army Of Darkness: The third in Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" Trilogy. First one was over the top splat horror, innovative with a bit of comedy. Second was almost a remake of the first with more comedy. Third one:

A laugh riot.

The series on STARZ was rather interesting.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Visitor

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857191/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A beautiful, character driven drama with humanity at its core, often amid bureaucratic inhumanity featuring a brilliantly understated performance from Richard Jenkins in the central role with effective righteous ire when needed in a story where different cultures meet but common values are what is important.

I saw this and remember thoroughly enjoying it, although I remember so little else (my fault, not the fault of the movie) that you've prompted me to find it again. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I saw this and remember thoroughly enjoying it, although I remember so little else (my fault, not the fault of the movie) that you've prompted me to find it again. :)

I've got this on my Prime watchlist, waiting for them to make it rentable. Hope you're back soon, my friend. You're missed.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood: Not a fairytale, it takes pretend and captures something real.

I saw it last weekend and although it's quite a long movie, it didn't feel like it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt were amazing, Margot Robbie was beautiful, fleeting and ephemeral, a true-to-life Sharon Tate. The cinematography and the lighting were gorgeous. I don't know the first thing about filmmaking but I know how a movie makes me feel, and as a native Southern Californian and a child of the 60s, I knew it was fantasy but it felt like home, it felt like old memories. I had a similar reaction to Tangerine and Bosch, but as a comparison, Florida Project, washed as it was in its own kind of light felt different because that was Florida light, not California light. The movie was less violent than I expected until near the end, and then as expected I did have to kind of look at the edges of the screen for a bit. :eek: I loved the twist of who Margot was watching in the movie theater. But that final scene, though... and the music. Going back to see it again.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
PS: Completely aside, The New Yorker usually has impeccable editing, but in this review of Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, how did this run-on sentence pass muster?

A mostly functional alcoholic, he wanders Los Angeles—from his house, on Cielo Drive, in the Hollywood Hills, which he bought when he was more prosperous, to studios for the occasional day of filming, and to various watering holes, ferried around by his confidant and employee, Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt).

Eight commas and an Em dash.

Arthur Brain

One of those films you just stumble across while looking for something and what a little gem it is. I only wish it had gone on a bit longer. Brilliant performances in what's ostensibly a comedy drama but with the emphasis on drama overall as essentially three disparate people connect from entirely different perspectives and form a bond.

The Station Agent

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/?ref_=tt_urv