One Sentence Movie Reviews

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nah. Han Solo was Han Solo and I loved it.

Listen, "big deal". You got another problem. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
I was making a joke about resolving father issues, but I was on board until the death scene. That was just a cheap, easy way to give a villain something completely lacking otherwise and the whole Han's kid as that made less sense than then "Ben" not appearing to understand his grandfather already finished it, in the right way.

Looking forward to the second one though.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
The Revenant: Familiar characters played by splendid actors in a "true"(ish) outdoor epic that is COVERED in heart wrenching suspense.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day

Take Pinky & the Brain; replace "Pinky" with "Randy" (AKA Ran-Ran-Bo-Ban; Bo-Bannis; Randy Bobandy) and "the Brain" with "Jim Lahey" (trailer park supervisor); and replace a "plan to take over the world" with sending the boys to jail.
I'm going to try to re-watch this now; that was a great recommendation.

Edit, later:
Trailer Park Boys 2: Countdown to Liquor Day

Take Pinky & the Brain; replace "Pinky" with "Randy" (AKA Ran-Ran-Bo-Ban; Bo-Bannis; Randy Bobandy) and "the Brain" with "Jim Lahey" (trailer park supervisor); and replace a "plan to take over the world" with sending the boys to jail.
Bright red, Jim Lahey explores a tropical island beach in a bathing suit.

Hurray for streaming!

Edit, later 2:
If you don't want to watch a sequel without watching the prequel, don't watch Trailer Park Boys: The Big Dirty. IMO, the prequel to Trailer Park Boys 2: Countdown to Liquor Day is actually the double episode Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys. Watch that first, then Trailer Park Boys 2: Countdown to Liquor Day. If you care about prequels.

And if you want to see the prequel to Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys, watch Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special---I repeat: not Live in Dublin---Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special. Something like that, not Live in Dublin.

Edit, later 3:
'Watching Trailer Park Boys: Xmas Special now. I'm watching them regressively.

Last edited:

rexlunae

This was the most derivative movie imaginable.

Definitely.

New character in need of a force makeover with questionable parentage on a desert planet meets a legendary character to help her. Throw in a larger death star and a new father/son, good/evil quandary and shake.

And a new cutesy robot. And they even basically re-shot the blow-up-the-deathstar scene.

I'll put it this way. I'd bet they were hitting up Target, Burger King, Volkswagen, et al. before they had a script or a director.
http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/top-10-star-wars-ads/96612

I could have lived with that, was enjoying the new and old characters up until the lazy death scene for Solo.

I could have too, if they'd bothered to make a good story.

What I mean is that a) Han had no reason to walk into that believing he was going to walk out of it, b) while I get this was the way to make an otherwise whiny kid with impulse issues into a universally detestable villain, it was the cheapest and easiest route. I kept thinking, the three good guys can't keep one kid on the straight and narrow? Really? Didn't see it coming and let him wander off into the dark side?

Also: The new characters just happened to steal the Millennium Falcon? And then they just happened to run across Han and Chewey by complete coincidence? And right in the middle of this huge family drama between Han and Leia?

The only thing I liked about the movie after the death scene was the set up for the second. Luke was always the odd character out. A whiny kid in his own right who slowly began to turn into something more substantive in the second film, only to lapse a bit (but what character didn't) in the third. The look and the moment closing out Awakens invested something necessary in his character.

I guess I thought that scene was as predictable and obvious as possible.

I think the next movie should be much more original and interesting...unless they just make Luke into Obi-Wan and Rey into Luke II.

I suspect it will be a lot like Yoda training Luke.

PureX

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Something something Force, recycle old plot points, something BB8 toys, Darth Emo something something, make a trillion dollars in marketing deals alone!!!

I think the take-away here is that the quality of a movie is inversely proportional to the number of advertisements featuring tie-ins to it. I think I'll skip the next Star Wars.
I've skipped most of them over the years, and will skip this one, too.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
"The Wolf of Wall Street"

A Martin Scorsese film about a walk of depravity so satiric of yuppie culture you're surprised Tarantino didn't have a hand in it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On paper it had the potential to be great. Christoph Waltz is outstanding in Inglorious Basterds & Django Unchained but without a decent or coherent script there's not much any actor can do. Serious letdown.
I'd say it was a bit of a throwback to some of the older Bonds...entertaining, but like the theme song this time around, just not building to anything like what we've come to expect from this incarnation. The weakest of the Craig outings, but still entertaining...the biggest problem I had was with the romantic interest. Didn't care for the actress, thought she was given a thin and unlikable role and then the audience was supposed to believe this is the girl Bond rides off into the sunset with? :nono: I'd have it only slightly more credible if he'd driven away with Q. :plain:

exminister

Spy (with Melissa McCarthy) - Unlikely, underrated, plus size woman becomes comic kick *** Bond, James Bond.

Really enjoyed it. It grossed 4 times its' production cost. Open ended allowed for sequel. I would see that.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Spy (with Melissa McCarthy) - Unlikely, underrated, plus size woman becomes comic kick *** Bond, James Bond.

Really enjoyed it. It grossed 4 times its' production cost. Open ended allowed for sequel. I would see that.
Recently watched her in the movie The Boss.
She is so funny.
I really enjoyed her Mike & Molly series too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, too many movie threads in here to go looking for just the right one.
I'll find one of the others and ask Sherman to move my post.
Yeah, well I have the other one that's less succinct so I'm probably part of the reason. :think: And we all do that. I've launched a Gazette in someone else's thread before, so you've got nothing on me. :)