A Momentary Life...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town, I wanted to point out something. To someone unfamiliar with you, this comes across as bragging/boasting. But I know you, and I also know that the context here indicates that you are merely providing/volunteering relevant/pertinent information to the discussion, so that others know that you're not just making things up in what you're sharing. It's helpful to provide it. You've got an algorithm that is performing really well, and you rightly think that's helpful for others to know. It's like offering up that you're a lawyer or a doctor, when the topic is law or medicine.
I do, though the math I'm using this year isn't up to it. Takes a lot of time to set up and I haven't had it. I'm using an old and preliminary approach, mathematically, coupled with experience and observations about trends that do have some statistical backing. So far it's given me two even weeks and three statistically fantastic weeks against the line. And you're right, I don't see it as bragging, only setting out qualifiers.

I only do this for fun. There's no real ego involved and I don't bet or believe in wagering. My only reservation about doing this publicly was that someone might use it that way. I try to let people know that especially this year I could crash and burn any given week. I'm not running the more tried and true system because of the time/work constraints and I don't want anyone relying on years of similar performances set out here to use my work in a speculative bid to enrich themselves by risking capital. It could turn ugly at any moment. I'm half guessing/half figuring this year. That's actually making it more fun for me, but the downside is enormous for anyone relying on it.

There. That should at least give anyone tempted reason to refrain from gambling on this hand. I'll probably do pretty well. I should. I've been studying the game for decades, but don't rely on me this year. I'm not really trying to win so much as make the game interesting for me.

And that is the same spirit in which I've mentioned how long I've been at the diligent and faithful study of both theology and of Sacred Scripture. I've got to the bottom of the rabbit hole. It's Holy Catholicism.
I can fully appreciate your perspective. And I love Brother Lawrence, Merton, and any number of Catholic thinkers and writers. I just don't share your notion of exclusivity after a fashion. I don't find it necessary for a rich walk that is sufficient for me in my small corner of the world at present.

I am happy for you though. Be happy for me. We can meet at the cross and celebrate our unity in matters salvific. :cheers:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
I do, though the math I'm using this year isn't up to it. Takes a lot of time to set up and I haven't had it. I'm using an old and preliminary approach, mathematically, coupled with experience and observations about trends that do have some statistical backing. So far it's given me two even weeks and three statistically fantastic weeks against the line. And you're right, I don't see it as bragging, only setting out qualifiers.

I only do this for fun. There's no real ego involved and I don't bet or believe in wagering. My only reservation about doing this publicly was that someone might use it that way. I try to let people know that especially this year I could crash and burn any given week. I'm not running the more tried and true system because of the time/work constraints and I don't want anyone relying on years of similar performances set out here to use my work in a speculative bid to enrich themselves by risking capital. It could turn ugly at any moment. I'm half guessing/half figuring this year. That's actually making it more fun for me, but the downside is enormous for anyone relying on it.
I like to talk about sports without mentioning the line, but you helped me to get a handle on the vocabulary so that I could continue to talk sports with you all, and how to transform what I wanted to say into this new way for me of talking sports. So I appreciate that.

'Too bad about not believing in wagering, since 'I bet' you could earn a living doing it, if you were sharp with your betting,* on each game each week.

*-Which games to bet and which ones not to bet, and the bet sizes to place, basically.
There. That should at least give anyone tempted reason to refrain from gambling on this hand.
:chuckle: 'Not sure that's how they think, people 'allergic' to gambling. If they think they've got even the smallest edge, I think they just jump all over it.
I'll probably do pretty well. I should. I've been studying the game for decades, but don't rely on me this year. I'm not really trying to win so much as make the game interesting for me.
I've enjoyed football intrinsically from my youth, when I played it. And then Tom Brady happened on my watch as a fan, so I was a goner.
I can fully appreciate your perspective.
Well obviously you can't 'fully' appreciate it, since you'd then share it with me. There isn't an alternative opinion that fits with the facts. And I mean There is Not one. I searched for one, compared notes with others who have searched also, and also tried to construct one, and it's logically impossible, again given the facts.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. My perspective is that all Christians are either 'Catholics on the way to full communion,' or Catholics in full communion. There's other ways to express it, but that will do.
And I love Brother Lawrence, Merton, and any number of Catholic thinkers and writers.
When you are of the Catholic school of theological thought, it is like reading the writings of blood relatives, to read Catholics. They all believe that Christ is really in the elements of Communion, did you read them with full knowledge that that is true for each of them? That they each admit to serious belief in what can be honestly described as a bit of bald mysticism? Speaking from the Protestant's perspective of course.
I just don't share your notion of exclusivity after a fashion.
But we are exclusive. We and we alone believe in the Empty Tomb, we believe Easter, we believe Christ's Resurrection is nonfiction fact of history. Nobody else is that, that's exclusive to us and us alone, all by ourselves. Anybody who believes in Christ but insists they're not of us, is simply and just and flat-out wrong about that.
I don't find it necessary for a rich walk that is sufficient for me in my small corner of the world at present.
It's your right as a human to hold to that view, and it doesn't cost your salvation to do it. But it's not your right as a Christian. You believe in Christ; you pledge allegiance to a King, and He has royal rights over you, as His subject. I'm a fellow subject, and I can't pull rank on you. But religious liberty is not a Christian right, it's a human right, and Christian faith forfeits it. I'm just saying keep it in mind.

Your small corner of the world has a microphone recording to a 'podcast' that's 'broadcast' the world round. There's never been greater leverage in small corners of the world as there is today.
I am happy for you though. Be happy for me.
I'm happy.
We can meet at the cross and celebrate our unity in matters salvific. :cheers:
I'd rather meet at the Empty Tomb. The Catholic Church and the Orthodox churches lay claim to it. To the literal it, mind you, the location where He rose, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Of course we're brothers and sisters, and of course we'll meet in glory. And the king of the universe, the Pantocrator, is seated at the right hand of the Father. Until He makes His enemies His footstool. 'Footstool''s the earth, it's from Isaiah, where heaven is God's throne, and the earth is His footstool. We're on the earth.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I like to talk about sports without mentioning the line, but you helped me to get a handle on the vocabulary so that I could continue to talk sports with you all, and how to transform what I wanted to say into this new way for me of talking sports. So I appreciate that.
De nada. :thumb:

'Too bad about not believing in wagering, since 'I bet' you could earn a living doing it, if you were sharp with your betting,* on each game each week.
A long time ago I dabbled, before my conversion. It took some of the fun out of it, though I enjoyed the money. The thing about gambling is that it's mostly done by people with poor impulse control and no system. Then you have a few, a sliver of people, who have a measure of both and do well. The powers that be can absorb this easily because it's exceptional.

I've enjoyed football intrinsically from my youth, when I played it. And then Tom Brady happened on my watch as a fan, so I was a goner.
Greatest system quarterback of all time. :eek: I'm kidding. That's Peyton payback. Can't be helped. I think Brady is a lot like the NBA's Jabar. The only person who has been as good for nearly as long is Brees, who may take that title from him.

I love the whole GOAT debate. I don't put any modern qb on that pedestal though. I mean rules changes 90s on modern. Marino breaks 5k and it stands for nearly a quarter century, until those offense friendly changes gave birth to Manning, Brady, and Brees. Okay, Stafford got one too. And that alone tells you how much easier it was. Brees managed it 5 times.

If there's a GOAT, to me it's Montana. Four Super Bowls, four wins. No ints. No losses. Not a single game where his quarterback rating was under 100. Freakish.

Well obviously you can't 'fully' appreciate it, since you'd then share it with me.
I fully appreciate your perspective on faith, your conviction, if not your particular expression of it. Better?

But we are exclusive. We and we alone believe in the Empty Tomb, we believe Easter, we believe Christ's Resurrection is nonfiction fact of history.
Though it amazes me what some of us believe beyond the salvific from time to time.

Your small corner of the world has a microphone recording to a 'podcast' that's 'broadcast' the world round. There's never been greater leverage in small corners of the world as there is today.
I believe in the moment and the face I'm staring into. There is where I see my obligation and there is where I find Christ more often than not.

I'm happy.
That, as we say in the hinterlands, ain't hay.

I'd rather meet at the Empty Tomb.
Then take Christ off of the cross already. ;) I really had to.

Then again, ever since we did that men have been doing their darndest to fill the vacancy.

The Catholic Church and the Orthodox churches lay claim to it.
Going to get crowded in there. :think:

Everything beyond grace and gratitude is a mystery to me, but I'm ecstatic in that revelation.

Of course we're brothers and sisters, and of course we'll meet in glory.
:cheers:

Idolater

...I used Protestant methods to get here....
This is an important point. I followed the Protestant playbook, ran Protestant plays, in all three aspects of the game ;). That's Why I'm Catholic now in my theology, because of Protestantism. I believed (still do!) in the 'Five Solas,' including 'Soli Deo Gloria,' and 'Sola Scriptura.' First thing, since it is all for God's glory alone, why would we presume that God Himself doesn't instruct us as to how best to glorify Him? Why would we assume that He leaves it to us to 'figger out' how to do that? In fact He does instruct us, and He does so through His own chosen pastorate, the men ordained as authentic pastors over God's own Church. He set it in motion Himself, and we have the biblical record of it occurring. And those pastors, who are linked Physically to the Apostles, through the physical imposition of hands, the sacrament of Holy Orders, celebrate Mass. Mass is how He instructs us to glorify Him; He wants us at Mass.

And 'Sola Scriptura' is a powerful measure of theological thought, and helps to weed out plainly deviant thoughts, when honestly employed. To get the most of 'Sola Scriptura,' the most important thing to do is to disregard whatever has happened in the past; you need to disregard and discard every notion that you find conquered somewhere in Scripture. You must be ruthless and brutal, and then you can be said to be honestly believing in 'Sola Scriptura.'

And the primary reason that I walked away from Clavinim is because the scriptural argument for it is more difficult to make, than the scriptural argument for authentic pastors who are created through the imposition of hands, by the Apostles first, and then by those ordained by the Apostles. Paul instructs Bishop Timothy concerning the practice (1Ti5:22KJV). We have the very inception of this sacrament recorded for us right in the Bible.

Beyond Clavinism having a difficult time proving its own tenets in Scripture, the Clavinists have the additional task of somehow showing scripturally that the practice of Holy Orders has ceased. Thankfully bishops have been maintaining themselves just as in the beginning, all these many centuries, so it's not as if we believers need to build something brand new. It's already built, and in pretty good shape, her current horrible child abuse scandal notwithstanding.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is an important point...
I'd suggest that what you're doing at that point is better served in a thread created for its purpose and within the section that draws people looking for it. I don't mean to be at all acrimonious and I've appreciated our conversation, though I was beginning to consider it needed a new home...but this last wasn't really even that or in keeping with the point and spirit of this thread.

Or, barring the odd and hopefully brief conversations between parties on a point of note, the idea behind this particular thread, as established in the OP is to create:

A place to make brief observations of the moments in your life that speak to you.

I don't know their names these
birds at my window singing

some thing joyful

I'd rather it largely remain that. :cheers:

Idolater

The thing about gambling is that it's mostly done by people with poor impulse control and no system. Then you have a few, a sliver of people, who have a measure of both and do well.
I tried my hand at poker for a while back in the day. I couldn't make a go of it, but in the process of learning how poor I am at the game, compared with better players, it did teach me a lot about gambling as a trope. You wager something, it doesn't have to be money, and there are odds at winning something more in return. The better you know how to use those odds, particularly in estimating the 'expected value' of your bets, the better choices you can make in your wager. For me and poker, it became clear that my best poker decision was to stop playing poker.
Greatest system quarterback of all time. :eek: I'm kidding. That's Peyton payback. Can't be helped. I think Brady is a lot like the NBA's Jabar. The only person who has been as good for nearly as long is Brees, who may take that title from him.

I love the whole GOAT debate. I don't put any modern qb on that pedestal though. I mean rules changes 90s on modern. Marino breaks 5k and it stands for nearly a quarter century, until those offense friendly changes gave birth to Manning, Brady, and Brees. Okay, Stafford got one too. And that alone tells you how much easier it was. Brees managed it 5 times.

If there's a GOAT, to me it's Montana. Four Super Bowls, four wins. No ints. No losses. Not a single game where his quarterback rating was under 100. Freakish.
There are ways to see it, that Brady getting into 8 SBs while only winning 5 is more impressive even than Montana's spotless record on that biggest stage, since the seasons that he didn't get there involved him losing somewhere earlier in the tournament.

But even as an NE homer, watching Brady's entire career, I won't die on this hill. 'Montana is the GOAT' is a reasonable claim, and barring something bordering on miraculous, it'd be impossible for Brady to definitively unseat that reasonable claim with whatever's left in his career.
I fully appreciate your perspective on faith, your conviction, if not your particular expression of it. Better?
:chuckle: Sure.
Though it amazes me what some of us believe beyond the salvific from time to time.
That's just another item on the list of reasons to suspect---just to suspect---that perhaps the Lord instituted an organ of His Body the Church, specifically responsible for safeguarding and disseminating the actual Truth. We read that it is the Church, surprisingly not the Scripture, that is 'the pillar and ground of the truth' (1Ti3:15KJV). And we just as plainly read that Christ Himself promised 'the Spirit of truth' (Jn14:17KJV, Jn16:13KJV), so how can so many believers believe so many 100% conflicting things about what the Truth is? It's just another rock solid proof that the Catholics are, and always were, onto something. To me, the 'Catechism of the Catholic Church' is the culmination of the combined effort of all the Church's authentic pastors, all throughout the Church age, to teach the Truth, and imo they've done a stupendous, outrageously good job at it. That's the Protestant in me, saying that. It's presumptuous for me to say such a thing if I were Catholic, since I'd then be deigning to judge those whose sacred duty is above my paygrade to inspect and assess. But as a non-Catholic, according to Protestant principles, I can say such a thing.
I believe in the moment and the face I'm staring into. There is where I see my obligation and there is where I find Christ more often than not.
So go to Mass. If I'm right, and there's no ego in me making this claim, since all glory is God's alone, and it's His Church who I'm arguing for, and not my own view; then going to Mass will sharpen this gift that you already manifest, and more precisely direct it at that which will best advance His kingdom.
That, as we say in the hinterlands, ain't hay.
No it's not. :) We live in a world that has been imo irrefutably improved by the presence of the Church over the past 2000 years or so, and I intend to do my part to continue her grand tradition of making over this world, all for Christ's glory---our King.
Then take Christ off of the cross already. ;) I really had to.
But 1st Corinthians 2:2 KJV! ;)
Then again, ever since we did that men have been doing their darndest to fill the vacancy.
:chuckle: I'd say that that again is evidence of a lack, not of authentic pastors, but of our deference to them. The only martyrs the Church celebrates are those who die for their confession of Christian faith in Christ's Resurrection. No other martyrs need apply. If you find yourself a martyr for any other reason, then you're doing it wrong.
Going to get crowded in there. :think:
I think around Easter it is very crowded, yes.
Everything beyond grace and gratitude is a mystery to me, but I'm ecstatic in that revelation.
OK.
I meant to finish that with, "...we'll meet in glory where we'll be celebrating the heavenly Mass."

:D

Idolater

I'd suggest that what you're doing at that point is better served in a thread created for its purpose and within the section that draws people looking for it. I don't mean to be at all acrimonious and I've appreciated our conversation, though I was beginning to consider it needed a new home...but this last wasn't really even that or in keeping with the point and spirit of this thread.
Fair enough, and I'll do my able best to accommodate you. Part of the reason this thread sort of became home for this discussion is this is where you are, plus, when they're here, I like the rest of the audience, like Barbarian and Anna and Arthur. They may find the discussion tedious and boring and not chime in, but I don't get the impression that they hate it either.

But I will adjust my approach to the thread, in honor of its OP, yes.
Or, barring the odd and hopefully brief conversations between parties on a point of note, the idea behind this particular thread, as established in the OP is to create:

I'd rather it largely remain that. :cheers:
I've taken to gardening this year. I also have a longstanding habit of spitting tobacco. What I realized recently is that snuff and chew are like tobacco Compost, and that the spit is therefore a parallel to what plants actually 'eat.' It's that dirty water that the organic material in soil (e.g. compost) creates that serves as a vehicle upon which all the nutrients in the soil are transported into the plant as it imbibes it.

It's nice when seemingly disparate things reveal themselves to be more connected to everything else than you originally think.

And on another note, I'm watching the night sky and trying to understand the earth's place within it. The Big Dipper revolves around the North Star. By now, it's hidden under the horizon where I'm at, but I did notice recently, emerging out of the east, the constellation Orion. He's lying on his back right now, but soon, he'll stand up and run across from the east to the south and then to the west, where he'll hide until next fall, when he'll once again rise up from his slumber, to make his annual walk across the sky once again, as he's been doing for millennia.

:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I tried my hand at poker for a while back in the day... For me and poker, it became clear that my best poker decision was to stop playing poker.
:chuckle: I prefered games where I could use math to make my gamble less dependent. It started with dog racing for me. I realized that if I bought a book in advance and wasn't greedy I could routinely have a night out with excellent food and drink for free, that it wasn't all that hard to win modestly at the track if you were serious and prepared. Then I decided to expand the observation and the larger realization came to me.

There are ways to see it, that Brady getting into 8 SBs while only winning 5 is more impressive even than Montana's spotless record on that biggest stage, since the seasons that he didn't get there involved him losing somewhere earlier in the tournament.
I don't see making the SB as being decisive. I mean, only one qb in the history of the game has led a team to 4 consecutively and no one begins to put him into the conversation. And who argues Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT? No one, really, though he has more rings than anyone in the history of his sport or any other.

The value of the SB for me is what you do when you get there. Montana is untouched in that regard. Brady, let's be honest. The first ring he wasn't really good in the game and the first three were delivered by his future HOF kicker. We've seen him go into SBs and lose while fielding history making offenses in terms of production. He lost with Randy Moss on board. So let's stop the does more with less at that point. And he won a couple of those rings with head scratchers. An errant pass by Seattle, a historic second half collapse by Atlanta.

I'd argue that at least three different qbs from his era are better and would have, with the level of coaching and stability within the organization done better by New England fans. Brady goes down for a season and the back up wins almost as many games before getting a big contract with KC that his play never justified again. Bill and company have a system. It's a bit like moneyball. A few flashpoints and a qb who can do just about anything you need done. It works. And more, Tom turned out to be legitimately great at the position. But Tom isn't Rodgers. He isn't Manning in his prime (no, not Eli, even though the lesser Manning has his number) and he arguably isn't Brees.

I suspect history will approach the current given a bit differently. And it should.

But even as an NE homer, watching Brady's entire career, I won't die on this hill. 'Montana is the GOAT' is a reasonable claim, and barring something bordering on miraculous, it'd be impossible for Brady to definitively unseat that reasonable claim with whatever's left in his career.
Joe Cool. Undefeated AND won half of his rings without Rice (people forget that).

:chuckle: Sure.
Then I'm content. :)

That's just another item on the list of reasons to suspect---just to suspect---that perhaps the Lord instituted an organ of His Body the Church, specifically responsible for safeguarding and disseminating the actual Truth.
I suspect we understand the thrust of the thing, all of us, which is our reconciliation to God in Christ and through his sacrifice, by which men receive grace and should live out their lives in love and gratitude, taking their pleasure where He finds it and being mindful of our failure to find it alone.

So go to Mass. If I'm right, and there's no ego in me making this claim, since all glory is God's alone, and it's His Church who I'm arguing for, and not my own view; then going to Mass will sharpen this gift that you already manifest, and more precisely direct it at that which will best advance His kingdom.
I'm mostly color blind, but I love sunsets. Some may feel that I'm cheated of a larger thing, but I never have.

And you'd think if it that was an advantage you wouldn't be so in the hole between us, rep giving unto others wise. :shocked: Okay, no, but you have to admit it's funny though.

No it's not. :) We live in a world that has been imo irrefutably improved by the presence of the Church over the past 2000 years or so, and I intend to do my part to continue her grand tradition of making over this world, all for Christ's glory---our King.
And who could fault that? (no, squeaky, it's rhetorical)

You know the squeak, I hope.

But 1st Corinthians 2:2 KJV! ;)
You think people see an empty cross and think, "Plus what?" :eek:

I think around Easter it is very crowded, yes.
And there's always a crowd at supper.

I meant to finish that with, "...we'll meet in glory where we'll be celebrating the heavenly Mass."
Well, that has gravity (either). ;)

Idolater

A place to make brief observations of the moments in your life that speak to you.

some thing joyful
For focus.

There are many things about the Catholic Church, that did not bring me to her, but that I'm only now perceiving and appreciating about her, now that I'm mentally on board. One of those things is how she handles death.

It's comforting, and beautiful, how the Church handles this most grave of topics. You really get the feeling like, when it comes times for me to die, that I'm in good hands, that my family will be in good hands.

It's something that most other Christian church traditions do not have, and cannot approach. Most non-Catholic churches began far more recently than the Catholic Church, and one of the most significant things about that, is the sheer number of deceased Catholics that there have been, necessarily. It makes sense that an organization as old and large as the Church would have a lot of time to consider death, and to address it in an intelligent, merciful, and loving manner.

I realized that this fits into the spirit of the OP in this thread, which is why I share it here. Again, this wasn't one of the things that brought me to Catholicism, to the theological school of the Catholic Church, it's only one of the many things I've been able to now appreciate about her, since I've mentally 'crossed the Tiber.'
:chuckle: I prefered games where I could use math to make my gamble less dependent.
There's a lot of math in poker. The best players are mathematicians, some of them even credentialed mathematicians, but they are all mathematicians, to win at the biggest stakes reliably.

Poker boils down to betting, folding, and raising. The only thing that matters is betting, folding, and raising. When to best bet, fold, or raise, for successful players, is determined by math. It's about odds.

There's pot odds, which is the size of the pot, compared with the size of your bet. There are the odds of drawing out and making a hand on a future street, which depends upon how many 'outs' you have in the deck, and how many cards are left. There are 'implied odds,' which attempts to take into account the future size of the pot, comparing it also to the required bets to stay in the hand to win that larger pot. There are also things like the rake, and tipping on winning hands, that all go into successfully determining odds that guides successful betting, folding, and raising.

There's also the notion of 'tropes' that appear in poker, but also irl, where instead of a card game and chips, the situations and currency is substituted for other things. In betting on sports and racing, there is really only betting, which is similar to stock picking, but is only applicable in limited areas irl.

There are obvious poker tropes like 'bluffing,' 'betting,' 'folding,' but also more nuanced ones like 'slow-playing,' 'check-raising,' and 're-raising-over-the-top-all-in.' But the one that I'm going to mention now is 'pot-committed.' It's when a player has already put most of their stack of chips into the pot, and other players therefore can perceive that they aren't going to fold, but will push the rest of their stack into the pot rather than leave all the chips they've already put into it out there for someone else. Pot commitment is a tell, a telegraph, that can be seen by other players. The other players in the pot with a pot-committed player need to figure on there being a 'show down,' which means that the pot-committed player will not fold to a big raise, but will call all the rest of their chips, forcing a show down of all the players' hands to determine who wins.

And that is a problem that has been identified by psychologists as a 'cognitive error,' like the Fundamental Attribution Error that we are all susceptible to. It's related to the 'sunken cost fallacy,' which is a cognitive error that falsely believes that currency that has already been spent or 'sunk,' is actually still in your possession. When we make choices according to these errors, we make poor choices, and wind up costing ourselves more dearly than if we remain rational.

Deception is of course part of poker. Many of the poker tropes involve deception, and poker helps us to characterize deception according to real patterns that play out in poker, but also, again, irl. Most people deceive with standard poker bluffs, making a bet that requires others to 'fold' to win. If they are called, then their deception is revealed, just like in poker. But 'slow-playing,' 'playing fast,' and 'check-raising' are also poker tropes, patterns of deception, that appear irl. 'Slow playing,' for example, is when a player has a strong hand, and wants to get as many chips into the pot from other players as possible, so as not to scare them away with aggressive betting, and instead they place smaller bets, to entice players with medium strong hands, or those on draws, to remain in the hand, but to pay a price for it. A price that the slow-player, with a strong hand, hopes to win at the end of the hand.
It started with dog racing for me. I realized that if I bought a book in advance and wasn't greedy I could routinely have a night out with excellent food and drink for free, that it wasn't all that hard to win modestly at the track if you were serious and prepared. Then I decided to expand the observation and the larger realization came to me.
It's like stock picking, or just general investment. You examine the situation, gather the facts, and assign something like pot odds, the cost/benefit analysis, and place your bets accordingly.
I don't see making the SB as being decisive. I mean, only one qb in the history of the game has led a team to 4 consecutively and no one begins to put him into the conversation.
Well, Kelly and Montana only reached the championship game four times each. Results were stunningly different, but the fact remains. And it also remains that Brady's reached eight.
And who argues Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT? No one, really, though he has more rings than anyone in the history of his sport or any other.
Apples and oranges, really. No position in all sports is parallel to football's quarterback. You can make an argument that soccer's and hockey's goalie, and if starting pitchers in baseball could pitch each game then them, are close, but there's nothing like football's quarterback position in basketball. No other single position influences the wins and losses like the QB. Confer Joe Montana.
The value of the SB for me is what you do when you get there. Montana is untouched in that regard. Brady, let's be honest. The first ring he wasn't really good in the game and the first three were delivered by his future HOF kicker.
Vinitieri's biggest impact was in the AFC championship game against Oakland in the 2001 season. He had to kick it off a snowy, sloppy field, from far enough away to make it interesting. His other kicks were clutch, but that's not entirely unusual in the NFL. There've been far tougher kicks made by other kickers in the intervening years, ones that were far longer than any of Vinitieri's clutch kicks.

And we all know that kickers don't get the line of scrimmage to within their range. That takes an offense, run by a QB.
We've seen him go into SBs and lose while fielding history making offenses in terms of production.
Once.
He lost with Randy Moss on board. So let's stop the does more with less at that point.
I'm not arguing that point.
And he won a couple of those rings with head scratchers. An errant pass by Seattle, a historic second half collapse by Atlanta.
Games are 60 minutes long.
I'd argue that at least three different qbs from his era are better and would have, with the level of coaching and stability within the organization done better by New England fans.
Brady himself said that Rodgers could have done more than him in NE. :thumb:
Brady goes down for a season and the back up wins almost as many games
Didn't win the AFC East, and didn't qualify for the playoffs too.
before getting a big contract with KC that his play never justified again. Bill and company have a system. It's a bit like moneyball. A few flashpoints and a qb who can do just about anything you need done. It works. And more, Tom turned out to be legitimately great at the position. But Tom isn't Rodgers. He isn't Manning in his prime (no, not Eli, even though the lesser Manning has his number) and he arguably isn't Brees.

I suspect history will approach the current given a bit differently. And it should.

Joe Cool. Undefeated AND won half of his rings without Rice (people forget that).
That Brady's got national broadcast announcers talking about him as the GOAT ain't hay. He's forced the argument, even if the right answer is Montana. That ain't hay.
Then I'm content. :)

I suspect we understand the thrust of the thing, all of us, which is our reconciliation to God in Christ and through his sacrifice, by which men receive grace and should live out their lives in love and gratitude, taking their pleasure where He finds it and being mindful of our failure to find it alone.

I'm mostly color blind, but I love sunsets. Some may feel that I'm cheated of a larger thing, but I never have.

And you'd think if it that was an advantage you wouldn't be so in the hole between us, rep giving unto others wise. :shocked: Okay, no, but you have to admit it's funny though.
Are you talking about TOL rep giving? :idunno:
And who could fault that? (no, squeaky, it's rhetorical)

You know the squeak, I hope.

You think people see an empty cross and think, "Plus what?" :eek:
No, just that Protestants protesting Catholics displaying the crucifix are protesting the Bible.
And there's always a crowd at supper.

Well, that has gravity (either). ;)
I'm sucking on a wad of tobacco compost right now. :)

Idolater

Spoiler
Spoiler

some thing joyful
For focus.

It astounds me to think of an object, like an asteroid, traveling over 10,000 MPH.
Passenger jets travel many hundreds of miles per hour. I see them, five or six miles high, inching across the sky.

I see shooting stars. They're going 10,000 miles per hour, and they're a lot higher up there than the jetliners, that are going 500-600 MPH, and inching patiently across the sky. Those things are Moving as they 'burn up' from impacting all the molecules of nitrogen and oxygen suddenly. It's a mechanical disintegration, it's not a flame kind of burn up, it's just happening so fast that it's making light.

It feels a bit naked to see outer space, and especially the shooting stars, which is outer space kind of tapping on the door to earth. It's not the 'big bad wolf' yet. There's some critical size, higher than which, the object will survive our atmosphere and hit the ground. And it's going to be moving at 10,000 MPH. That's like Four Times faster than a rifle bullet. That's what they figured got the dinosaurs. Something huge that came in Four Times faster than a rifle bullet, and crushed the earth.

But during the day, the blue sky hides all the shootings stars, that are happening all the time. They don't wait for night time. They don't care which side of the earth it is, light or dark. At night we can see them, and during the day we never see them, like we never see the stars. Shooting stars are part of outer space, and we can only see outer space when it's dark.

It occurs to me that it's the perfect natural reminder to go to bed. 'If you can see outer space, go to bed.' It's like the day is our clothing, and at night we remove our clothing to go to bed, and so, I feel naked looking at the night sky, seeing outer space through the giant lens of our atmosphere.

But it's the universe that's really naked at night. It's when we can see what it's all up to. During the day, we can't see it, because it's modest and is wearing clothes. And at night it takes them off.

Idolater

There are many different angles from which to see things. From each angle, the thing looks a bit different. I've mentioned the Fundamental Attribution cognitive error that psychologists have identified statistically as an error that befalls mankind. It's just one example of a thing being seen from different angles.

So from one angle, each of us are supported by our blood. This really clever fluid contains everything our bodies need, and the blood also transports waste products that occur naturally as we metabolize, which is, as we live and breathe. Blood absorbs the nutrients from our gut, and the carbon dioxide from all of our cells as they work. It deposits the carbon dioxide at our lungs, where our breath removes it and replenishes it with fresh air, and it deposits nutrients with our cells, energy, minerals, vitamins, along with the oxygen that it absorbs at the lungs.

Every organ and muscle in our bodies needs support, and it comes from our blood. Even our hearts need blood, and again, a very clever design, where the heart itself supplies the blood that it needs. The heart is a phenomenal contraption. It doesn't need any other organ in the body to help it get its blood, it does it itself, and it does it through a spontaneously depolarizing mechanism, where special cells in the body develop a voltage, and then that voltage is released spontaneously, and this is why the heart pumps, supplying pressurized blood (blood pressure) to each part of us.

The Old Testament says that life itself is in the blood, which is why blood sacrifice was prominent. It is also why Christ's blood is so important for Christians, His blood sacrifice.

And we are the Body of Christ, and a body is flesh and blood, and the Eucharist is Christ's flesh and blood, and the Church is to consume His flesh and blood, in order to be His Body, not just spiritually, or ethereally, or abstractly, but physically. It's how we are the Body of Christ, because we ingest His literal flesh and His literal blood, in receiving Holy Communion.

Blood is a lot more complex than, but somewhat like a car's engine oil. There are five quarts of oil sloshing around constantly inside the motor, and if it were to all spill out, or if it were to become too contaminated (kidney failure, for example), then the motor (the body) will not be able to continue and will seize (death).

And it's just magnificent how our bodies keep plugging away, through this eminently clever system of constantly delivering this eminently clever fluid, pressurized, to the farthest reaches of our bodies.

Idolater

...I did notice recently, emerging out of the east, the constellation Orion. He's lying on his back right now, but soon, he'll stand up and run across from the east to the south and then to the west, where he'll hide until next fall, when he'll once again rise up from his slumber, to make his annual walk across the sky once again, as he's been doing for millennia.
Especially late into the night now, Orion has begun his traverse across the night sky. He comes up out of the east rather quickly now, and gets up higher into the sky and has begun to stand upright.

'Such a mystery to me, what was going on with Orion, when he first appeared this year. This is only one or two years into my pondering of the night sky, I never watched it so closely, so it was all brand new. Finally, something clicked in my brain, and I realized, 'It's because Orion is So Far Away, that it looks like that.' That's why it can look like he's rising up from the grave or from sleep, getting up and walking across the night sky, because he's So Far Away.

And that reminded me of 'Celestrial Spheres,'1 which is how the ancients modeled what they saw occurring throughout each year, which is perceptibly the exact same thing that I'm seeing now. They figured that Orion was on a distinct sphere with its own independent behavior from other spheres, e.g., those that contained the planets. That's how they explained his counterintuitive behavior.

And all of this is because, as I've said, I take the dog out for its nightly ritual now, so I'm a captive audience when the stars are out. Speaking of which, the dog wasn't feeling well the other day, vomited, and then, sniffed it, and then, began to lick it. It reminded me of 2nd Peter 2:22 KJV and Proverbs 26:11 KJV.

Stupid dog.

1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_spheres

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Life, if it's going to be worth living, has to be optimistic.
31385435548_6da3ef3e68_k.jpg

Vine near the summit of Lookout Mountain

Idolater

Stop worrying about it.
That's it? What if they say, "But I can't stop worrying about it?" Just lather, rinse, and repeat? You've got to give them a reason for optimism, not just see their pessimism and say "you're doing it wrong."

We're all, gonna die. Why be optimistic?

glorydaz

That's it? What if they say, "But I can't stop worrying about it?" Just lather, rinse, and repeat? You've got to give them a reason for optimism, not just see their pessimism and say "you're doing it wrong."

We're all, gonna die. Why be optimistic?

We aren't dead yet....there's a reason to be optimistic, yes?