A Momentary Life...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... there's something a bit odd in the accusation that somehow TOL could possibly be liable for anything.

Seemed that way to me, too :idunno:

But then, i don't pretend to be a legal "expert" on the internet :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Reddit" hosts way more (in every way imaginable, conceivable, possible, etc.) illegal links than TOL would be able to even fit on the server, and "Reddit" seems to be staying afloat. So there's something a bit odd in the accusation that somehow TOL could possibly be liable for anything. But IANAL, it is only a layman's measured observation.
In and out like a burger and saw this and my idiot stalker's love letter and felt like taking a moment before I go back into finals mode.

If you facilitate an illegal act, knowingly, then you can bear some responsibility and liability for the act. The motion picture industry tends to be a little more aggressive than most. But you never know and it isn't worth the risk. I had someone I know recently sued by a European concern over copyright infringement display of material relating to a nonprofit event hosted by a local library. She's settling for a few thousand.

Sod was posting a link to a site that facilitates the sharing of stolen goods. Even if no one comes after TOL it's not an activity that should be promoted and is, in fact, a plain violation of the rules of the joint.

As to Sod's weak sister attempt at parallel, the site I noted is run by the NPR of Minnesota and they tend to pay whatever licensing fees are appropriate, as do most licensed radio concerns. So absent some specific evidence that they're up to an illegal transaction his complaint is mostly what his complaints tend to be, an empty sleeve waved like a victory flag.

Hope this cleared some things up for you. :cheers: Back to work then.

ok doser

As to Sod's weak sister attempt at parallel....

I asked a simple question

"Free downloads of copyrighted material?"

Elton john said:
the site I noted is run by the NPR of Minnesota and they tend to pay whatever licensing fees are appropriate, as do most licensed radio concerns.

So your answer is, "yes, free downloads of copyrighted material"

:thumb:

See how much easier that is than the nonsense you banged out?

Back to your source for free downloads of copyrighted material - you assume they are legit because ... reasons

I clipped the rest of your childish nonsense

Now, to get back to the site that first caused your distress:

Elton john said:
Sod was posting a link to a site that facilitates the sharing of stolen goods....

So naturally, you, being a paragon of superior virtue, having been made aware of this criminal activity, immediately reported it to the civil legal authorities.

What was their response?

Last edited:

ok doser

"Reddit" hosts way more (in every way imaginable, conceivable, possible, etc.) illegal links than TOL would be able to even fit on the server, and "Reddit" seems to be staying afloat. So there's something a bit odd in the accusation that somehow TOL could possibly be liable for anything. But IANAL, it is only a layman's measured observation.

Also, Tor could be litigated into oblivion based on the illegal transactions enabled solely by their network of proxy relays. But they're still around.

'Could be wrong. :idunno:

Btw N - didja notice how he pretended to respond to you in order to pretend he wasn't responding to me? :chuckle:

And didja notice that in "responding" to you, he completely ignored your comments about Reddit and Tor? :chuckle:

Last edited:

ok doser

If you facilitate an illegal act, knowingly, then you can bear some responsibility and liability for the act.

Unless you're Google, apparently:

Google search results: "download free movies"

0.26 seconds
7 gazillion matches

Or the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/world/29editornote.html

Or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?init=quick&q=Putlockers&tas=0.9588074120392689

Or Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/putlocker?lang=en

Or YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_k4Jfp3fzI

Or Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Movies-Free-Putlocker/product-reviews/B00QA1IFAA

Or the US government: https://search.usa.gov/search?affiliate=usagov&query=Putlocker

:darwinsm:

Honestly you fraud, don't you ever tire of making a fool of yourself?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
June 26: ...but your OCD wouldn't let you go cold turkey:darwinsm:
I left because of a workload and I'll come back as it suits me. Your attempt to create something from that is just an expression of your hostility and ache from the splinters you gave yourself.

I asked a simple question "Free downloads of copyrighted material?"

So your answer is, "yes, free downloads of copyrighted material"

:thumb:See how much easier that is than the nonsense you banged out?

Back to your source for free downloads of copyrighted material - you assume they are legit because ... reasons
No, actual reasons given and no contrary reason to believe that Minnesota Public Radio and its legal department are doing anything untoward, unlike you. You were taking benefit from stolen goods. You might as well be a thief if you're going to do that. And you were inviting others by your conduct. Tam, by way of illustration.

I clipped the rest of your childish nonsense
If I reciprocated there'd just be your username and an ellipse.

Now, to get back to the site that first caused your distress:
So naturally, you, being a paragon of superior virtue, having been made aware of this criminal activity, immediately reported it to the civil legal authorities.
Rather, I noted a potential problem and your actions, which were at the very least a violation of the policy of TOL and at worst potentially involving them in it. Either way you shouldn't be doing it. I get why you want to make it about something else, but it still isn't.

Btw N - didja notice how he pretended to respond to you in order to pretend he wasn't responding to me?
His comments interested me and it was easy enough to answer the couple of distorted points you were making there.

And didja notice that in "responding" to you, he completely ignored your comments about Reddit and Tor?
There are all sorts of entangled legal questions involved and a lot of them haven't been worked out. My interest was narrower, protecting the site from any potential exposure and getting that rules violation off its pages.

Now I like this thread, so I'm not going to let you turn it into a strutting yard of dishonest nonsense in my absence. You should just go create another thread no one will read if you want to do that.

This one is on lockdown until I come back from finals. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jack painted a pretty good fish the other day. A minute ago he told me that he discovered the 48th dimension and that it's time to go to work mapping it. :plain:

You just never know. I posted the fish in All Things Jack. Now I'm nervous. He has a good hand, eye, and an equally adept ear for pitch with the sort of fingers you'd love to have for guitar.

Crossing fingers that he also has my father's fast-ball. :eek:

Lon

Jack painted a pretty good fish the other day. A minute ago he told me that he discovered the 48th dimension and that it's time to go to work mapping it. :plain:

You just never know. I posted the fish in All Things Jack. Now I'm nervous. He has a good hand, eye, and an equally adept ear for pitch with the sort of fingers you'd love to have for guitar.

Crossing fingers that he also has my father's fast-ball. :eek:

No worries. I'd truly hire him to do a canvas for hanging in a pediatrician's office. Definitely promote all his creativity, its in his blood. If he has time for baseball? All the better :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Talking with my pastor after church this morning (we have ours at 8:30) and I wondered aloud that if we had an app to track it and everyone agreed to read their Bible's electronically this week what the app would tell us about our habits.

He smiled a sad smile.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jack is hungry the other evening coming back from swimming lessons and we stop on the way home to get him a happy meal. He says he wants a milkshake with it, so I ask my wife, who is riding in the backseat with him, "Get that as a drink with it?"

And she says? "What did you just call our son?" :plain:

Our next car is going to have to be a quieter ride.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A good friend of mine said to me that there are more important things going on in the world to trouble and move us than 100 year old statues.

And I said, "But isn't it good that we never have to choose between being compassionate or just, fair or kind, or between the lesser and greater of goods, that we can do every good we can do, the great and the small in turn. And each of them, every one of them, is a service to God."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"We used to root for the Indians against the cavalry, because we didn't think it was fair in the history books that when the cavalry won it was a great victory, and when the Indians won it was a massacre." Dick Gregory
Good night, Dick. You were almost as funny as you were inciteful (yes).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Walter Becker is dead. If you're over 30 and you don't know his name, you still probably know his music, as half the writing team of Steely Dan. When the world was rasping and gyrating, they gave us cynical and smart, smooth and cool. The took the education of jazz and fused its spirit into the pop bloodstream...Rickie Lee Jones, a fabulous writer and singer herself, said this about him:

I am Rickie Lee Jones. And I was one of the women Walter Becker took such good care of in his short life. I would want you to know that. He was so funny. And no, I didn't like the soprano sax on "Satellites," but that sound ended up... well, listen to Dave Mathews, for one. Walter knew what he was doing. He planted music. It grows all around us now.

Goodnight Walter. Thank you for making thoughtful, frequently cynical, longing, broken, beautiful music. Thank you for the Scam, for Katy, the Pretzel, and the album I couldn't take off my turntable, Asia--so beautiful it forced me to forgive you for Deacon Blues. You will be missed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I suppose I should preface this by saying I stand for the anthem. Always have...I don't care for the methodology of those who use that moment as an opportunity to shift attention off of it and onto themselves, even in the service of another point, though I understand why they do it. I didn't like it when some on the right turned that flag upside down. I don't like it now.

That established, I'd also say that in America the flag and the anthem belong to its people, not just to any one group of them, and that the flag is a symbol of principles. Most of the people who are kneeling to protest an institutionalized failure to see some of those principles evenly applied aren't any more inherently disrespectful in that protest than Civil Rights protesters were in Selma for violating law. And there were people who couldn't wait to turn hoses on that group and call them communist sympathizers and unAmerican in that day.

Now before anyone points out that the protesters here are insulated millionaires, I'd remind everyone so inclined to understand that most of those millionaires grew up in very different circumstances, many of them poorer than any of the people ready to dismiss their actions over that newfound wealth. If that same group were venture capitalists we'd see their wealth as a foundation to admire and promote (the why of that is another point to mull).

Imagine for a moment that today is the day Colin Kaepernick is taking the field and none of the controversy we're intimately familiar with has yet occurred. Now imagine that as the anthem plays you see him take that knee for the first time. And before you respond, you see him begin to pray. To pray for that segment of society whose plight concerns him even if he isn't personally denied a single blessed thing because of his status. He kneels and he prays.

How do you approach him now?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks like a hurricane is headed right for us. A weak one though. We've ridden out worse and at least we finally lost our last standing oak near the house (it was dying) so there's no immediate worry about losing part of Jack's legacy to timber.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I suppose I should preface this by saying I stand for the anthem. Always have...I don't care for the methodology of those who use that moment as an opportunity to shift attention off of it and onto themselves, even in the service of another point, though I understand why they do it. I didn't like it when some on the right turned that flag upside down. I don't like it now.

That established, I'd also say that in America the flag and the anthem belong to its people, not just to any one group of them, and that the flag is a symbol of principles. Most of the people who are kneeling to protest an institutionalized failure to see some of those principles evenly applied aren't any more inherently disrespectful in that protest than Civil Rights protesters were in Selma for violating law. And there were people who couldn't wait to turn hoses on that group and call them communist sympathizers and unAmerican in that day.

Now before anyone points out that the protesters here are insulated millionaires, I'd remind everyone so inclined to understand that most of those millionaires grew up in very different circumstances, many of them poorer than any of the people ready to dismiss their actions over that newfound wealth. If that same group were venture capitalists we'd see their wealth as a foundation to admire and promote (the why of that is another point to mull).

Imagine for a moment that today is the day Colin Kaepernick is taking the field and none of the controversy we're intimately familiar with has yet occurred. Now imagine that as the anthem plays you see him take that knee for the first time. And before you respond, you see him begin to pray. To pray for that segment of society whose plight concerns him even if he isn't personally denied a single blessed thing because of his status. He kneels and he prays.

How do you approach him now?
He doesn't pray, it was banned in his schools