All Things Jack

PureX

Home. Jack will be on breathing treatments and steroids for a few days, beating back the monster that was gnawing on his lungs, but the worst appears to have passed and he can mend in his own home now.

The kind words, both public and private remain much appreciated. :cheers"
Dude, that is very good news. I have been wondering and worried by your absence.

God-speed to Jack's recovery.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What a fiery trial, TH!

Thank God Almighty that you, wife, and Jack have come through it o.k.

May God receive great glory for His healing mercies for your little one.

Nang

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Nice shot. Just enough face on Jack to balance that blowing hair. Don't know whether you know about the Rule of Thirds, or (like my wife) you just have an intuitive sense of where to place the key element, but it was perfect. His left eye is precisely where it should be to draw a viewer into the frame.

Nice Bokeh, isolating your subjects well.

What are you using for a camera? Looks like an APC or full 35mm sensor.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nice shot. Just enough face on Jack to balance that blowing hair. Don't know whether you know about the Rule of Thirds, or (like my wife) you just have an intuitive sense of where to place the key element, but it was perfect. His left eye is precisely where it should be to draw a viewer into the frame.

Nice Bokeh, isolating your subjects well.

What are you using for a camera? Looks like an APC or full 35mm sensor.
Thanks. No, I haven't had any training and the shots are just what makes sense to my eye, but I have heard of the rule of thirds and my camera can divide the shot for cropping to meet it after the fact, I think...haven't used a lot of the functions yet. I'm still getting my hands around the essentials.

I finally got a good camera as a present from the wife. It's a Nikon D5100 with a decent all purpose lens. The 5200s were pushing it and she got a sweetheart, can't pass it up deal. It will be a while before I know what I'm doing with it, but I'm enjoying the process a great deal so far.

Took a shot dead on the bow of the U.S.S. Alabama and then clicked on it's actual size. I was floored at how large a shot the sensor allows for with detail. Very pleased.

Thanks for the encouragement. :cheers:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Nikon has a really nice camera in the D5100. At 16+ megapixels, it's not the highest, but it's at the level of resolution where you could blow it up to a poster, and it would look good. The thing is, it's approaching the point where camera shake is more of a limiting factor than resolution, although your lens probably has shake reduction.

An 18-50 zoom lens is probably all you'll want for a long time. It's the most useful range for most photography.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Second shot is a good use of window light. A1/8th turn of his head to your left would have been excellent. The first illustrates the limitations of on-camera flash. Put a white card in front of the flash, angled at 45 degrees to bounce the light off the ceiling, and it would greatly improve the image.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Second shot is a good use of window light. A1/8th turn of his head to your left would have been excellent. The first illustrates the limitations of on-camera flash. Put a white card in front of the flash, angled at 45 degrees to bounce the light off the ceiling, and it would greatly improve the image.
Would that be as effective with high ceiling? Say, fourteen feet or better? And someone told me I should consider an adjustable flash with an omni bounce shield or a pop up flash diffuser to make the built in better...also saw an Explomaging ray flash adapter the literally rings the lens.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Or tape half a ping pong ball over the lens of the on-camera flash. Sort of a tiny softbox. Surprising how well that works.

The high ceiling would probably be OK if it was white. The Nikon should adjust exposure to compensate.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or tape half a ping pong ball over the lens of the on-camera flash. Sort of a tiny softbox. Surprising how well that works.
I'll give it a whirl. :)

The high ceiling would probably be OK if it was white. The Nikon should adjust exposure to compensate.
Our ceilings are beaded board and painted different colors depending on the room, my wife's way of warming and adding the bohemian. :eek: She's something of a scandal in the family, but beloved. So, no white and the lowest is twelve (the kitchen) with the rest a darker surface between fourteen and sixteen. That's one reason I shoot most of my indoor Jack photos in an off hall toward a side door. Lots of natural light to help out, though it also presents its own challenge.

Thanks for the advice.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Window light is both soft and dramatic, and should be learned and used often. If your camera has an HDR option, it can decrease contrast and give you both highlights and shadow detail when using window light.