All Things Jack

Lon

This one
attachment.php

Could be in book and on a wall in anyone's home. Excellent shot

(er, I mean Cannon, shoot that's a camera, shoot! Bang on today. Blast! I'm doing it again. Sorry, similes and metaphors, always similies and metaphors :doh: Just wheel me out...Gr! dang it!)

bybee

I always wanted a Barbie when I was a girl but I wasn't allowed to have one.

Interesting how parents decide what is acceptable and what is not.
My dolls were so important to me as a young girl. We'd carry our small suitcases filled with fabric and sewing supplies to each other's houses and create outfits for our dolls.
When I took Sewing in Junior High it was an easy "A" for me because I loved everything about it!
With four daughters you can imagine the creative play that went on in our house!
Then, along came a son and he sat with the girls, not really interested in their play but not wanting to be left out. They gave him their old headless Barbie's and he used them as cars!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

It sure is. Much of what other kids were able to have or do wasn't acceptable in our house.

My dolls were so important to me as a young girl. We'd carry our small suitcases filled with fabric and sewing supplies to each other's houses and create outfits for our dolls.
When I took Sewing in Junior High it was an easy "A" for me because I loved everything about it!
Good memories. :)

I could have dolls, but they had to be baby dolls, not Barbies, because Barbies were too 'sexy' and represented a decadent lifestyle.

If I'd had daughters, I'd have bought them Barbies and then sat and played with them (the daughters, I mean, and the Barbies :chuckle:)

But I had sons, so I played cars and trucks and Legos and trains and dinosaurs. :)

With four daughters you can imagine the creative play that went on in our house!
Then, along came a son and he sat with the girls, not really interested in their play but not wanting to be left out. They gave him their old headless Barbie's and he used them as cars!
I sure can. :)

I'll bet your daughters took good care of your son.

bybee

It sure is. Much of what other kids were able to have or do wasn't acceptable in our house.

Good memories. :)

I could have dolls, but they had to be baby dolls, not Barbies, because Barbies were too 'sexy' and represented a decadent lifestyle.

If I'd had daughters, I'd have bought them Barbies and then sat and played with them (the daughters, I mean, and the Barbies :chuckle:)

But I had sons, so I played cars and trucks and Legos and trains and dinosaurs. :)

I sure can. :)

I'll bet your daughters took good care of your son.

They did indeed. And to this day they all love him and admire the man he has become.
As I have shared before, two of my daughters are plagued with addiction problems. Yet he treats them with loving kindness.
He is a good man.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They did indeed. And to this day they all love him and admire the man he has become.
As I have shared before, two of my daughters are plagued with addiction problems. Yet he treats them with loving kindness.
He is a good man.

That's heartwarming to hear. The sibling bonds are very special.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, we all have our little no-nos, don't we. :chuckle:

Another thing about kids when they're two and three, the girl's toys are all more interesting to look at, sparkly and wildly colored. Jack would go right to them and I'd find myself playing up the virtues of a non sparkly baseball or bat. :doh:

I was just telling Breathe that my current quandary is about potty training. I determined not to pressure him on the point, but it's time and he just isn't interested. He can count in Spanish, is reading and won't use the potty half his occasional playmates have been handling for months...

I've been attempting to keep it positive (any attempt to pick and place meeting with horrendous response) by talking about the friends he'll get to make in preschool (starts in a month or so) when he can potty by himself. So far that isn't setting the woods on fire, even though he wants to go...to preschool, I mean.

:idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I was just telling Breathe that my current quandary is about potty training. I determined not to pressure him on the point, but it's time and he just isn't interested. He can count in Spanish, is reading and won't use the potty half his occasional playmates have been handling for months...

I've been attempting to keep it positive (any attempt to pick and place meeting with horrendous response) by talking about the friends he'll get to make in preschool (starts in a month or so) when he can potty by himself. So far that isn't setting the woods on fire, even though he wants to go...to preschool, I mean.

:idunno:

Bribery. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just had a minor breakthrough using it. He really doesn't want to leave the diaper security so I told him he could wear them a little longer IF he would tell us when he needed to "tinkle" or "poop" and we could use the potty.

He thought that was a good idea and is currently sitting on his potty. I suspect that if we can get him accustomed to that the diaper issue will melt away, especially as we move into the colorful super hero underwear I have in mind. :)

bybee

Just had a minor breakthrough using it. He really doesn't want to leave the diaper security so I told him he could wear them a little longer IF he would tell us when he needed to "tinkle" or "poop" and we could use the potty.

He thought that was a good idea and is currently sitting on his potty. I suspect that if we can get him accustomed to that the diaper issue will melt away, especially as we move into the colorful super hero underwear I have in mind. :)

Yes indeed, bribery! You might go browsing for fabulous pajamas worn by big boys who also wear fabulous underwear and use the potty....

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Oh, that's something I forgot in the VM... put him right into the underwear and be prepared to stay home for a few days. The sensation of wet underwear and having it run down his legs isn't pleasant at all, and for some kids, that's all it takes. :chuckle:

Breathe

Bribery didn't work for us. There is a golden window - a brief one for boys, I think - when they're about 18 months. If you miss it (easy to do), then it simply takes longer. The number one wasn't an issue with mine - but we eventually had to put him - and hold him by force - on the potty, until he actually did a number two in it and realized how much better it was than a dirty diaper. After that one time, he had it. Traumatic for us all, but my husband was worrying himself to death over getting him trained. I was not. I knew he wouldn't go to college in diapers. ;) Relax. It will happen.