Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late as to why those that have made over 500 posts here remain non-subscribers. You would be one whose userID is shown in blue typeface.

I think I am qualified to ask the question, as I have subscribed here since day one, and Lord knows, I have the infractions and bannings to prove that my opinions are not necessarily those of the management or popular culture here. Sigh.

I realize the rules allow non-subscribers. But I am wondering what your underlying motivations are for not subscribing, even at the lowest level, the green level, of $3/month or $30/year?

In other words, what would have to happen at TOL that would incentivize you to subscribe?

For the record, I am posting this on my own accord, and not as a shill for TOL's management. No one asked me to do this, and no doubt, some of those that respect my posted positions will be taken aback. In fact, management may very well ban me for even making such a post and I will accept their ruling, as I have several times in the past. ;(

It just seems to me that a site that obviously costs money to maintain, and one that explicitly offers the owners a means of recuperating costs via subscriptions, should expect to understand why a frequent poster, someone I define to be one with over 500 posts, remains a non-subscriber. This is the thread wherein you can lay it all on the line and be heard.

I don't think that reasons along the lines of "well, TOL's views are different from mine" hold much merit. Clearly, my own views are at odds with many herein. For me, the value received, versus the value extended, is the only factor in a monetary decision. If you have spent the time to make over 500 posts here you have obviously formulated a value proposition, and it begs the question of the opening post of this thread: Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Thoughts?

AMR

Last edited:

icilian fenner

My presence is scarcely taxing to TOL, and TOL gives me the choice not to enjoy the perks of membership - so I don't. They're not worth the money (to me), and that's the deal that TOL offers me.

icilian fenner

It may be worth noting that I also have very little money at the moment. I wouldn't budget for membership even if I wanted it. It's not even an option.

heir

TOL Subscriber
AMR

What would you say to the someone who has been here for over four years, has nearly 12,000 posts and is still blue?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My presence is scarcely taxing to TOL, and TOL gives me the choice not to enjoy the perks of membership - so I don't. They're not worth the money (to me), and that's the deal that TOL offers me.
What sort of perk herein would be worth money to you?

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I won't support what is essentially a Christian site.
This seems odd given your post count. You appear to think "support" means merely money, yet you have obviously spent plenty of time posting, generating threads, responding to posts, etc., all of which contributes to the site's content. Now you may claim that all you are doing is decrying Christianity in your posts, making a noble stand and all that, so you are not really "supporting" anything. Yet that sentiment rings hollow when all the facts of the entire TOL value chain are in view, no? And it also ignores the value you have received and will receive. The point of the thread is that the value offered requires tangible machinery costs to deliver said value and one should take this into consideration as they continue to spend time herein.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR

What would you say to the someone who has been here for over four years, has nearly 12,000 posts and is still blue?
I honestly don't know. It depends on the situation of the individual involved. Maybe this person is a behind the scenes contributor, of real or virtual contributions towards the ongoing health of the site. Maybe the person is a homebound paraplegic on a government stipend...etc.

Barring such exceptional situations, I find it odd that someone who has invested this much time, hence deriving value, could not find a spare $3 once in a while to pay for a month's subscription...which can be done on a month by month basis.

AMR

chair

This seems odd given your post count. You appear to think "support" means merely money, yet you have obviously spent plenty of time posting, generating threads, responding to posts, etc., all of which contributes to the site's content. Now you may claim that all you are doing is decrying Christianity in your posts, making a noble stand and all that, so you are not really "supporting" anything. Yet that sentiment rings hollow when all the facts of the entire TOL value chain are in view, no? And it also ignores the value you have received and will receive. The point of the thread is that the value offered requires tangible machinery costs to deliver said value and one should take this into consideration as they continue to spend time herein.

AMR

Hmm, so I have done evil by contributing content, and should do further evil by contributing money?

Quincy

I don't use the site enough anymore. I've barely posted in over a year, and when I have used it a lot I was a subscriber though. Charity isn't my thing ;) , if ever I get the time and desire to post often I will subscribe again.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmm, so I have done evil by contributing content, and should do further evil by contributing money?
You are reading beyond my words, which make no such claim. They were intended to show you the folly of what you stated. If you think you are doing evil, then by all means, do no evil at all.

AMR

nicholsmom

A Catholic friend of mine likes to stress the three "T"s of giving:
Time
Talent
Treasure

Some find the site worthy enough to give their time and talent here at TOL, but refuse to give also a bit of their treasure. It seems silly to me to not support in treasure what you support in time and talent - unless, as was true for me last year, there simply are no funds for it. I did find 5 bucks to contribute, though. So you are right, AMR, that a one-month subscription costing $3 should not be out of reach of anyone who can afford to get on the Internet - maybe they use the computer at the library.

Alate_One

I do not believe posting here is necessarily evil. Merely by posting our views each of us can help dispel stereotypes about our respective faiths (or promote them :chuckle:). But this site allows those viewpoints that are not normally heard to have a voice, and I think that's important. Especially for someone like myself that feels the general public ONLY sees right wing fundamentalist Christians and assumes that's all there are. It's been really great to be able to express myself with other Christians as well as atheists and others. Even more importantly there are a lot of great people of all faiths that frequent this site (along with a boatload of crazies).

So I don't think its necessarily evil to subscribe to this site even though you may disagree with many or most of the viewpoints expressed. I do think if you subscribe or donate, you have an obligation to be high profile in expressing your beliefs.

The reason I have not subscribed (and I was strongly considering it) Is primarily due to the situation that happened with The Barbarian. It looked very much to me like he was banned simply for disagreeing too directly and strongly with the moderators. I could be misinterpreting what happened, but if the admins choose to shut someone up when they are disagreed with directly then my reasons for subscribing/donating become vastly diminished.

C

cattyfan

The reason I have not subscribed (and I was strongly considering it) Is primarily due to the situation that happened with The Barbarian. It looked very much to me like he was banned simply for disagreeing too directly and strongly with the moderators. I could be misinterpreting what happened, but if the admins choose to shut someone up when they are disagreed with directly then my reasons for subscribing/donating become vastly diminished.

Looks are often deceiving, and you are indeed misinterpreting the situation. No one is ever banned here for disagreeing too directly. They are banned for violating the TOL rules, which are stated very clearly.

If you were a subscriber, you would have access to The Woodshed, which is area in which infractions are visible. Then you would have known precisely which post triggered the infraction resulting in the (temporary) ban.

Now that that's been cleared up, will you reconsider your contribution?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seems to me that if you post here frequently then you are already contributing to the site ... your activity here will only ever be allowed to promote the site. :)

But given the rough time the Registered Plus bunch seem to get I figure it's worth a couple of bucks to go green.

:mock: Registered Plus

:D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late as to why those that have made over 1,000 posts here remain non-subscribers. You would be one whose userID is shown in blue typeface.

I think I am qualified to ask the question, as I have subscribed here since day one, and Lord knows, I have the infractions and bannings to prove that my opinions are not necessarily those of the management or popular culture here. Sigh.

I realize the rules allow non-subscribers. But I am wondering what your underlying motivations are for not subscribing, even at the lowest level, the green level, of $3/month or $30/year?

In other words, what would have to happen at TOL that would incentivize you to subscribe?

For the record, I am posting this on my own accord, and not as a shill for TOL's management. No one asked me to do this, and no doubt, some of those that respect my posted positions will be taken aback. In fact, management may very well ban me for even making such a post and I will accept their ruling, as I have several times in the past. ;(

It just seems to me that a site that obviously costs money to maintain, and one that explicitly offers the owners a means of recuperating costs via subscriptions, should expect to understand why a frequent poster, someone I define to be one with over 1000 posts, remains a non-subscriber. This is the thread wherein you can lay it all on the line and be heard.

I don't think that reasons along the lines of "well, TOL's views are different from mine" hold much merit. Clearly, my own views are at odds with many herein. For me, the value received, versus the value extended, is the only factor in a monetary decision. If you have spent the time to make over 1000 posts here you have obviously formulated a value proposition, and it begs the question of the opening post of this thread: Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Thoughts?

AMR
POTD :first: