Anyone familiar with phoneme segmentation

QueenAtHome

Howdy!

My son uses the program k12 through a virtual charter school program. Anyhow, since it is a "public" school they do this test for the phonics; DIBELS (dynamic indicators of basic early literacy skills). Well now that you have that bit of history let me say...

arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Now that that is out of my system (a little bit)

My son is in 1st grade, but he is using the kindergarten phonics. But he is tested at a first grade level since "he is in 1st grade"

Well, (yes I am eventually getting to a point) needless to say since he is a kindergartener, he is not making the mark for a 1st grader.

He has a lot of trouble with the whole phoneme segmentation. This is really frustrating and baffling to my husband and me because my son can (usally) tell you the sounds of the word. Example: he can tell you that /n/ is the last sound in the word "man" and can usally tell you how the word should be spelled if his knows the letter/phonic combo.

Is anyone else having to deal with this DIBELS test?

Does anyone know what phoneme segmentation is (I didn't before doing this with him)?

Does anyone have any websites +/or products that they could recommend that would help him in this area?

The other frustration is that he IS reading those easy readers. It might be a bit slow on some words, but he will sound them out and eventually get the sentence.

I keep telling myself that my oldest daughter never had this DIBELS test (nor did husband or I for that matter) and she is a fine reader, and that I should just say "pish posh" to this whole thing, but it sure does get under my skin!

So, Poly, aren't you glad you asked how school was going? ;)

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
karenincolorado said:
Howdy!

My son uses the program k12 through a virtual charter school program. Anyhow, since it is a "public" school they do this test for the phonics; DIBELS (dynamic indicators of basic early literacy skills). Well now that you have that bit of history let me say...

arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Now that that is out of my system (a little bit)

My son is in 1st grade, but he is using the kindergarten phonics. But he is tested at a first grade level since "he is in 1st grade"

Well, (yes I am eventually getting to a point) needless to say since he is a kindergartener, he is not making the mark for a 1st grader.

He has a lot of trouble with the whole phoneme segmentation. This is really frustrating and baffling to my husband and me because my son can (usally) tell you the sounds of the word. Example: he can tell you that /n/ is the last sound in the word "man" and can usally tell you how the word should be spelled if his knows the letter/phonic combo.

Is anyone else having to deal with this DIBELS test?

Does anyone know what phoneme segmentation is (I didn't before doing this with him)?

Does anyone have any websites +/or products that they could recommend that would help him in this area?

The other frustration is that he IS reading those easy readers. It might be a bit slow on some words, but he will sound them out and eventually get the sentence.

I keep telling myself that my oldest daughter never had this DIBELS test (nor did husband or I for that matter) and she is a fine reader, and that I should just say "pish posh" to this whole thing, but it sure does get under my skin!

So, Poly, aren't you glad you asked how school was going? ;)

Why don't you disengage from the government school system and teach your kid the way you want? It's a lot less stress.:cool:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is a "right wing fanatic" doing sending her children to a left wing indoctrination for 7 hours a day? :think:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Knight said:
What is a "right wing fanatic" doing sending her children to a left wing indoctrination for 7 hours a day? :think:

VIRTUAL Charter School. That means her kids are at home with public school indoctrination curriculum. Better than sending them to the government daycare, er... I mean school.

fool

Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
Why don't you disengage from the government school system and teach your kid the way you want? It's a lot less stress.:cool:
Can't pass the test?
Just drop out of the school!
Great advice :rolleyes:

Adam

Hall of Fame
Hey guys, it's a public school at home, we're part of Adams 12. There is little to no liberal or left wing indoctrination because we get to filter everything our kids see and learn. Would we like to do a Christian curriculum or even unschooling? You bet!

Can we afford it right now? No!

We're talking about phonemes here, not the idiot left.

Sincerely,

karenincolorado's husband

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
truthman said:
Hey guys, it's a public school at home, we're part of Adams 12. There is little to no liberal or left wing indoctrination because we get to filter everything our kids see and learn. Would we like to do a Christian curriculum or even unschooling? You bet!
Can we afford it right now? No!
We're talking about phonemes here, not the idiot left.
Sincerely,
karenincolorado's husband

Well money can be an issue. That's understandable if it's your only option now.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Yes, it's our only option now. Our goal is really to do a sort of 'unschooling'.

The program we're in now, k12.com , was founded by Bill Bennett of recent abort blacks and solve crime fame. It's a fantastic program given it's model and even has mild Christian influence to the point that when they teach history, they don't disregard the Biblical record but rather consult it. It's not without it's problems though, and I admit that.

truthman

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
truthman said:
Yes, it's our only option now. Our goal is really to do a sort of 'unschooling'.

The program we're in now, k12.com , was founded by Bill Bennett of recent abort blacks and solve crime fame. It's a fantastic program given it's model and even has mild Christian influence to the point that when they teach history, they don't disregard the Biblical record but rather consult it. It's not without it's problems though, and I admit that.

truthman

I saw Bill Bennet 2 weeks ago in Aspen. He wouldn't talk to me.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
CRASH said:

VIRTUAL Charter School. That means her kids are at home with public school indoctrination curriculum. Better than sending them to the government daycare, er... I mean school.
Ooops I must have missed that part. Sorry.

Adam

Hall of Fame
'tis ok, you can understand a husband getting a little 'defensive' of his most amazing wife.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread regarding phonemes

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
truthman said:
Hey guys, it's a public school at home, we're part of Adams 12. There is little to no liberal or left wing indoctrination because we get to filter everything our kids see and learn. Would we like to do a Christian curriculum or even unschooling?
Do you not have book fairs in your area that sell used curriculum or bookstores devoted to selling or giving away used curriculum? I realize that since we have this in our area, I tend to take for granted that it's available to all homeschoolers when actually some areas don't have accessibility to this kind of thing. Have you checked out places online where you can buy used curriculum?

QueenAtHome

Poly said:
Do you not have book fairs in your area that sell used curriculum or bookstores devoted to selling or giving away used curriculum? I realize that since we have this in our area, I tend to take for granted that it's available to all homeschoolers when actually some areas don't have accessibility to this kind of thing. Have you checked out places online where you can buy used curriculum?

Um no, not really. We live in a small town, in rural Colorado, so the homeschool group that I am involved with includes people from many towns, and it is still small.

I have never heard of a bookstore that just gives away used books and curriculum.

It is hard to know that you like or don't like something until you have put it to use. Many companies will not refund if the product has been used, thus you have spent money and time finding out that you don't like the product. I don't have the resources to do that very often.

I have been to ebay and vegsource though. They have a lot of stuff, but you have to know what you want.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Poly said:
I am a home school graduate and am used to being under an umbrella school where you had to pay tuition. I graduated in 1990. Times have changed obviously.

sentientsynth

Karen,

The conceptualization of these phenomes may be directly related to the organic development of your child's brain. In other words, maybe he's just too young to take a first-grader's test. Some children have difficulty conceptualizing the three-dimesionality of a two-dimensional object, such as realizing that there is depth to a photograph. Perhaps this is analogous to the difficulty your son is having. This is highly probable, in my opinion. So there's no need to worry about your child's cogitative ability per se, but rather what we're going to do about the fact that maybe your child cannot pass the test yet.

Are there any options for you to postpone this test, maybe take him out of the system for a year? Or maybe there are other programs in which the testing isn't like this?

I realize that all of that may be hypothetical tripe that you weren't looking for. Excuse me if it is. I really want to help, but perhaps I'm not sure how to really. Just trying to be a man.

A few links that I hope are helpful.

http://www.auburn.edu/~murraba/phon.html

http://www.auburn.edu/~murraba/prog.html

http://www.garycmartin.com/phoneme_examples.html

http://www.ldonline.org/bulletin_boards/msl_chats/april21_transcript.html

Your friend,

SS

Last edited: