Cheating teachers

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...and-in-to-take-their-certification-tests?lite

Cheating scandal: Feds say teachers hired stand-in to take their certification tests

By Adrian Sainz, The Associated Press

It was a brazen and surprisingly long-lived scheme, authorities said, to help aspiring public school teachers cheat on the tests they must pass to prove they are qualified to lead their classrooms.

For 15 years, teachers in three Southern states paid Clarence Mumford Sr. — himself a longtime educator — to send someone else to take the tests in their place, authorities said. Each time, Mumford received a fee of between $1,500 and $3,000 to send one of his test ringers with fake identification to the Praxis exam. In return, his customers got a passing grade and began their careers as cheaters, according to federal prosecutors in Memphis.​

Why am I not suprised.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not too surprising. It's no small wonder many of the public schools teach the useless garbage they do. They may not even know how to teach the basics!

This Charming Manc

Why am I not suprised.

Because is you would like to believe that all government employees are useless and on the make, as much as many on the left would like to believe that all business are corrupt and oppressive.

The truth is that there are the corrupt in all areas of life, both in the state and private sectors, and the issue is the heart of man and not a particular system or political persuasion.

but I think your so driven by agenda you cant see that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because is you would like to believe that all government employees

Teachers don't govern, and are not government employees. You however are now outed as you to your support of communism and muderers like Che Guevara.

You liar. I told you this person was a devil worshipper and not a Christian. This person tried to claim he gave up all wealth and lived communaly like Jesus instructed. The truth comes out. He is a communist and a teacher, and is polluting kids' minds.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Not too surprising. It's no small wonder many of the public schools teach the useless garbage they do. They may not even know how to teach the basics!
At least they have a test they can cheat on. A great many teachers in private religious schools have little to nothing in terms of training and teacher education. Some even lack degrees.

keypurr

Teachers don't govern, and are not government employees. You however are now outed as you to your support of communism and muderers like Che Guevara.

You liar. I told you this person was a devil worshipper and not a Christian. This person tried to claim he gave up all wealth and lived communaly like Jesus instructed. The truth comes out. He is a communist and a teacher, and is polluting kids' minds.

Wrong Nick, teachers are paid by the local government. I know as my daughter has been a teacher for 29 years.

Son of Jack

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...and-in-to-take-their-certification-tests?lite

Cheating scandal: Feds say teachers hired stand-in to take their certification tests

By Adrian Sainz, The Associated Press

It was a brazen and surprisingly long-lived scheme, authorities said, to help aspiring public school teachers cheat on the tests they must pass to prove they are qualified to lead their classrooms.

For 15 years, teachers in three Southern states paid Clarence Mumford Sr. — himself a longtime educator — to send someone else to take the tests in their place, authorities said. Each time, Mumford received a fee of between $1,500 and $3,000 to send one of his test ringers with fake identification to the Praxis exam. In return, his customers got a passing grade and began their careers as cheaters, according to federal prosecutors in Memphis.​

Why am I not suprised.

I've taken two of these tests. My major in both my B.A. and M.A. was in history and taking that test was a piece of cake. I also took the Language Arts test, and I managed to pass it easily despite the fact that when I took the test I hadn't taken an English class of any sort for 11 years.

Son of Jack

At least they have a test they can cheat on. A great many teachers in private religious schools have little to nothing in terms of training and teacher education. Some even lack degrees.

I've worked in private Christian education, and what you say isn't completely true. There are two types of schools, accredited and non-accredited. If a school isn't accredited, then you are a fool for sending your child there. But, there are two major accrediting agencies. In the region I live and have worked in, SACS is the one that most private, Christian schools use. Those organizations make sure your scenario doesn't happen.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yes, I'm astonished how easy it is to pass a teacher's exam in most states. I went back and picked up a few extra certifications, just because I could.

What's remarkable, is how well teachers do, in spite of low pay and sometimes low standards.

In math and science at least, we do better than most developed nations.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Yes, I'm astonished how easy it is to pass a teacher's exam in most states. I went back and picked up a few extra certifications, just because I could.

What's remarkable, is how well teachers do, in spite of low pay and sometimes low standards.

In math and science at least, we do better than most developed nations.

Low Pay! really! most if not all teachers in CA make around 70k a year, a generous benefits package including a pension, not bad for working roughly 2/3rds of a year. What kind of pay should they see? If you add up the benefits package with the wages you are looking at 100k or better. Low pay please!

Son of Jack

Low Pay! really! most if not all teachers in CA make around 70k a year, a generous benefits package including a pension, not bad for working roughly 2/3rds of a year. What kind of pay should they see? If you add up the benefits package with the wages you are looking at 100k or better. Low pay please!

In Mississippi, the pay is roughly half that, and the benefits don't add up to much. There are places where one can do well as a teacher, but there are also just as many places where one cannot.

Doormat

I think someone qualified and entrusted to educate children should be paid more than that, don't you? Why not attract the best and brightest for that?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Low Pay! really! most if not all teachers in CA make around 70k a year, a generous benefits package including a pension, not bad for working roughly 2/3rds of a year.

In fact, California is 2nd highest in the nation for teacher salaries, but the average is about $67k and a lot of teachers make a lot less than that. I have to admit that I'm surprised that you have only 8 months of school. Are you sure about that?

What kind of pay should they see? If you add up the benefits package with the wages you are looking at 100k or better. Low pay please!

See above. BTW, U.S. teachers work far more hours of direct classroom teaching than in most other countries. You're getting a pretty good deal.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I think someone qualified and entrusted to educate children should be paid more than that, don't you? Why not attract the best and brightest for that?

I was part of a group talking to corporate executives in a round table about education in Texas. They wanted to know how to attract more high-quality teachers.

One of us mentioned paying better salaries.

"Oh, no. You don't need more money to get good teachers. You need to find people who just love to teach."

I asked them if that thinking was the way they decided compensation for their company. One of them said no, it wasn't, but teaching was different.

Apparently, it's like entering a religious vocation, in the minds of many people.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think someone qualified and entrusted to educate children should be paid more than that, don't you?

Yep. Which is why they will be going to private schools. I have no problem paying somebody else to do part of my duty. But I won't pay them to not do it. (teacher pensions)

Ever wonder why they need tax increase when they have lottery and Powerball/Megamillions everywhere? Wasn't that supposed to pay for the schools? What is wrong with the books they just bought? They are not worn out yet. The issue is they are getting paid and getting raises when retired. In their 50's.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Ever wonder why they need tax increase when they have lottery and Powerball/Megamillions everywhere?

I don't know about your state, but in Texas, they just let people think lottery funds were going to education. No such thing.