Moms, Schooling Their Communities in Generosity

1PeaceMaker

On my Food Should be Free thread I made a passing note on a single mother who really stands out as a role model for the rest of us mothers.

A woman featured on a random blog I found was an unemployed single mom who feeds 100 people out of her own home kitchen. :cool:

It was made in passing as an observation as to the feasibility of others feeding each other. It's a very doable objective, in other words.

It occurred to me that if even 5% of mothers devoted themselves to feeding others out of their kitchens, we would massively cut the health risks and costs of food preparation for everyone, and really lift the burdens of everyone, including other mothers, because some of us aren't genius cooks or have the free time (maybe we are raising a set of one year old twins, or something? Or have 5 kids under 7 years?)

A brigade of a thousand mothers could feed a county of a hundred thousand people easily. How cool would that be? :cool: Feeding - like mothers feed the people they love. :cloud9:

And this belongs in the homeschooling forum because it is a school of the home, but it teaches more than children. And it's the job of us mothers to school our children in feeding others and generosity, so how cool could a project like this be for us all!? :banana:

1PeaceMaker

If you've got the time, this is a very moving food pantry documentary. We should have many more like them of all types and sizes. I think this is something that moms can really lead out with.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll check back at this thread later. I have to take my daughter to the bank and then to work.

1PeaceMaker

You know, there are so many mothers devoted to feeding their loved ones that a full 20% will breastfeed exclusively for 6 months. :thumb:

I think that means we've got plenty of heartstrings left to pull us out of hunger.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you've got the time, this is a very moving food pantry documentary. We should have many more like them of all types and sizes. I think this is something that moms can really lead out with.

This is similar to what my old church used to do (among many other things to help out the community). I was strongly involved with that church. But, in the past twenty years or so, I've noticed that a lot of churches are helping out less this way. I don't know if it's because of a lack of funds or of time or if it's just because people think that the government's going to help these people. So, why bother?

The church I'm attending now is trying to start up something like this now. I don't know how far it will go. But, I will be stepping up to help when I have the time and energy to do so.

Son of Jack

You know, there are so many mothers devoted to feeding their loved ones that a full 20% will breastfeed exclusively for 6 months. :thumb:

I think that means we've got plenty of heartstrings left to pull us out of hunger.

My wife has breastfed all three of ours for 12 months or longer.:thumb:

1PeaceMaker

This is similar to what my old church used to do (among many other things to help out the community). I was strongly involved with that church. But, in the past twenty years or so, I've noticed that a lot of churches are helping out less this way.
Maybe we also went through a spell of plenty and people are just reawakening to their needs?
I don't know if it's because of a lack of funds or of time or if it's just because people think that the government's going to help these people. So, why bother?
Maybe so. That joy ride is over now. They are actually trying to cut food stamp allotments. Crazy.

The church I'm attending now is trying to start up something like this now. I don't know how far it will go. But, I will be stepping up to help when I have the time and energy to do so.
That's fabulous!

I have a question for you and anyone else who wants to answer - if you could eat somewhere that cut your meal price down to $0.50 per person, three meals a day, would you eat there so you could pass on your grocery money for them to use feeding others who couldn't pay?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a question for you and anyone else who wants to answer - if you could eat somewhere that cut your meal price down to $0.50 per person, three meals a day, would you eat there so you could pass on your grocery money for them to use feeding others who couldn't pay?

I would have to say, at this time, I don't know. I'm leaning toward yes. But, I'm also a picky eater. But, I don't mind sharing what I have with people who don't have as much as I do.

My late husband and I used to make panhandlers outside the grocery stores mad. We usually had little, if any, money left after grocery shopping. So, if a panhandler came to us asking for money for food, we'd usually give them part of our groceries. Since most of them wanted money as opposed to food quite a few of them would walk away angrily. If I needed the help, I'd take it in whatever form I could get it (I was once in that boat and know that I would take whatever help I could get.).

But, it seems that a lot of people (including my mother and my sister), nowadays, think that it is owed to them. They actually get mad if someone suggests they make things stretch or that they buy within their means. I tend to buy a lot in bulk and a lot of no name brands at the store. So, if I fall on hard times, I have a little bit of a stockpile. I don't think that anyone owes me anything. In fact, I think I owe it to God to help people out when I can. That is why I get mad when people act like the food stamps and/or cash aid they get is owed to them. My mom gets mad because she thinks that I owe it to her to give her half of my income to support her even though she's on social security and disability (already receiving about half of what I get a month from my late husband's retirement). My sister thinks that I owe her at least $250 a month because her son is now over 18 and she can't get cash aid/child support/food stamps for him anymore. I don't mind helping if they really need it and come to me with the right attitude. But, they shouldn't come to me, acting like I owe it to them.

John Mortimer

On my Food Should be Free thread I made a passing note on a single mother who really stands out as a role model for the rest of us mothers.

It was made in passing as an observation as to the feasibility of others feeding each other. It's a very doable objective, in other words.

It occurred to me that if even 5% of mothers devoted themselves to feeding others out of their kitchens, we would massively cut the health risks and costs of food preparation for everyone, and really lift the burdens of everyone, including other mothers, because some of us aren't genius cooks or have the free time (maybe we are raising a set of one year old twins, or something? Or have 5 kids under 7 years?)

A brigade of a thousand mothers could feed a county of a hundred thousand people easily. How cool would that be? :cool: Feeding - like mothers feed the people they love. :cloud9:

And this belongs in the homeschooling forum because it is a school of the home, but it teaches more than children. And it's the job of us mothers to school our children in feeding others and generosity, so how cool could a project like this be for us all!? :banana:

You know, 1PeaceMaker, you feed me with the practical loving kindness of God in what you say here.

This world needs people like you. God bless you abundantly!

Man! If anyone wants proof of the existence God, they just need to look at you!

You humble me... and I will respond. Seriously - what you are expressing here is SO important.

1PeaceMaker

I would have to say, at this time, I don't know. I'm leaning toward yes. But, I'm also a picky eater. But, I don't mind sharing what I have with people who don't have as much as I do.

So if you were saying yes, that would probably include yest to clean bottled water, clean organic food, etc, right? Me, too! :) I also like to eat meat. So I'd hope plenty of high nutrient density foods would be budgeted in.

My late husband and I used to make panhandlers outside the grocery stores mad. We usually had little, if any, money left after grocery shopping. So, if a panhandler came to us asking for money for food, we'd usually give them part of our groceries. Since most of them wanted money as opposed to food quite a few of them would walk away angrily. If I needed the help, I'd take it in whatever form I could get it (I was once in that boat and know that I would take whatever help I could get.).

I have a problem with panhandling. It's one thing to go knocking on shelter doors, or protesting the lack of said shelter doors, but it's crazy to beg for or demand cash.

But, it seems that a lot of people (including my mother and my sister), nowadays, think that it is owed to them. They actually get mad if someone suggests they make things stretch or that they buy within their means. I tend to buy a lot in bulk and a lot of no name brands at the store. So, if I fall on hard times, I have a little bit of a stockpile. I don't think that anyone owes me anything. In fact, I think I owe it to God to help people out when I can. That is why I get mad when people act like the food stamps and/or cash aid they get is owed to them. My mom gets mad because she thinks that I owe it to her to give her half of my income to support her even though she's on social security and disability (already receiving about half of what I get a month from my late husband's retirement). My sister thinks that I owe her at least $250 a month because her son is now over 18 and she can't get cash aid/child support/food stamps for him anymore. I don't mind helping if they really need it and come to me with the right attitude. But, they shouldn't come to me, acting like I owe it to them.

Bah, you don't owe them anything. You serve your Father first, and of course that includes loving them, but some people have a distorted image of what that is, and it's not your fault. :thumb:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So if you were saying yes, that would probably include yest to clean bottled water, clean organic food, etc, right? Me, too! :) I also like to eat meat. So I'd hope plenty of high nutrient density foods would be budgeted in.

Right now, it means that I donate either a gift certificate for our local grocery store to our local food bank or I bring a crock pot full of soup to my church when we give out soup, sandwiches, and jackets in the fall.

I have a problem with panhandling. It's one thing to go knocking on shelter doors, or protesting the lack of said shelter doors, but it's crazy to beg for or demand cash.

I agree. I get a little upset when I see people standing on the corner with signs that say, "Will work for food," and these people get mad when instead of just giving them money you take their signs seriously.

Bah, you don't owe them anything. You serve your Father first, and of course that includes loving them, but some people have a distorted image of what that is, and it's not your fault. :thumb:

My family's the biggest reason I feel the way I do about helping people out. I will not give people (individuals) cash when they tell me they need help. But, I will pay their electric bill or buy groceries or bring them a 5 gallon can of gasoline. I've been known to take people into my house when they were in between jobs. And, I've helped people get started in homeschooling for years.

Right now, my family is mad at me because I've told them all that I have to pay off my plumber/electrician and get caught up on some bills before I can help them out again. It will probably take me about six months to get everything caught up. It's not like my mom has no other help. She's good at letting people know when she wants and/or needs something. And, my sister just moved from California to Iowa to marry the father of her soon-to-be 20 year old son. She left him 20 years ago (while pregnant) because he couldn't support both his and her drug habits. She left my nephew in California with her ex boyfriend and his parents to deal with their finding out that she lied to them about where she's going.

1PeaceMaker

You know, 1PeaceMaker, you feed me with the practical loving kindness of God in what you say here.
Thanks, J. Mort. I am thankful to have learned this. Because I realize as I look around that I'm in the minority of mothers, but not so much as everyone thinks. There are enough of us with maternal instincts that if we realize what we can do, we could literally feed the world.

And I wanted to thank you for saying this. It was very much appreciated encouragement. :)

This world needs people like you. God bless you abundantly!
Well, same to you, man!

Man! If anyone wants proof of the existence God, they just need to look at you!
Me and all the other mothers who somehow still find joy in seeing thankful, happy faces. And people like you who prove that even men feel the divine spark of love for their fellow man and will cherish what is good. After all the assaults our psyches have been through in this cultivated commercial environment, we still have healthy human instincts. It's a true miracle.

You humble me... and I will respond. Seriously - what you are expressing here is SO important.

Thanks. It humbles me to have so much support, because I see that it is the beauty and power of an ageless idea that has your attention, as it does mine.

I just pray that other moms will read what you wrote and yearn for that same feeling of being appreciated. I hope men will also see that the best thing they can do for their wives is positive reinforcement, as well, if they want to see more enthusiasm to keep their house running.

But at some point a woman can feel like it doesn't matter if others approve of their service, they will love being who they are by nature and take joy in being a big piece of the action in their families and communities. In other words, just living up to your potential becomes reward enough.

1PeaceMaker

Right now, it means that I donate either a gift certificate for our local grocery store to our local food bank or I bring a crock pot full of soup to my church when we give out soup, sandwiches, and jackets in the fall.

I love your methods! :thumb:

I agree. I get a little upset when I see people standing on the corner with signs that say, "Will work for food," and these people get mad when instead of just giving them money you take their signs seriously.

People to teach the meaning of a hand-out. :hammer:

My family's the biggest reason I feel the way I do about helping people out. I will not give people (individuals) cash when they tell me they need help. But, I will pay their electric bill or buy groceries or bring them a 5 gallon can of gasoline. I've been known to take people into my house when they were in between jobs. And, I've helped people get started in homeschooling for years.
You are a one-stop charity center, aren't you!? I think it's always remarkable how it's the poorest people who seem to give the most.

Right now, my family is mad at me because I've told them all that I have to pay off my plumber/electrician and get caught up on some bills before I can help them out again. It will probably take me about six months to get everything caught up. It's not like my mom has no other help. She's good at letting people know when she wants and/or needs something. And, my sister just moved from California to Iowa to marry the father of her soon-to-be 20 year old son. She left him 20 years ago (while pregnant) because he couldn't support both his and her drug habits. She left my nephew in California with her ex boyfriend and his parents to deal with their finding out that she lied to them about where she's going.

Wow. That's a lame situation. It's lame they beg for handouts... they could just set up a fund for you to check into so they don't have to ask for money, just if anything, inform of their progress, but begging is just.... so not cool. :nono: Neither is flaking out and leaning on everyone without thinking of their well being. Sorry you have to deal with that, but it looks like they endowed you with a strong helping of street smarts, making you even better suited to help needy people. :up:

John Mortimer

Me and all the other mothers who somehow still find joy in seeing thankful, happy faces.
Yes - it's the Divine simplicity of that joy that is such a contrast to the ego-version of "charity".
People can be involved in charitable endeavors for all sorts of reasons, many of which are driven by unresolved psychology. (You'll notice I seem to be very well informed on all of this! :chuckle:). Yes, I know what it is to have genuine and good intentions and yet be operating on an agenda I've hidden from myself. Like wanting to see oneself as a worthwhile, "good person" etc. That's why it is vital that people accept themselves and love themselves - because such love and acceptance naturally flows out and helps feed and heal the world.

In my experience it's a tall order - genuine self-acceptance and self-love. Completely impossible without God.

And people like you who prove that even men feel the divine spark of love for their fellow man and will cherish what is good. After all the assaults our psyches have been through in this cultivated commercial environment, we still have healthy human instincts. It's a true miracle.
I hear you! The Image of God, (male & female), cannot be erased. It can be covered up by layer upon layer of illusion and self-loathing, (which then creates a life experience in line with illusion and self-loathing), but the Image of God is eternal.

Thanks. It humbles me to have so much support, because I see that it is the beauty and power of an ageless idea that has your attention, as it does mine.
And what a perfect expression of that idea is Jesus' statement:
"For inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of these, the least of my brethren... ye have done it unto me!".

The simple Oneness of God is where true humility flourishes in joy! :)

I just pray that other moms will read what you wrote and yearn for that same feeling of being appreciated. I hope men will also see that the best thing they can do for their wives is positive reinforcement, as well, if they want to see more enthusiasm to keep their house running.
Yes, the gender roles we take on really can work in harmonious, constructive and progressive ways..... it doesn't need to be all dissonance and "intense negotiations"! :chuckle:
But at some point a woman can feel like it doesn't matter if others approve of their service, they will love being who they are by nature and take joy in being a big piece of the action in their families and communities. In other words, just living up to your potential becomes reward enough.
Yes! Beautifully put. :thumb:

Yazichestvo

This is a good idea. When it comes to feeding someone what they need to get by, I'm all in favor of that sort of charity. I've known some people who abuse their food stamps and get pie and sweets and stuff, but I'm all for people at least being able to at least get the basic staples of a diet, like beans and potatoes.

1PeaceMaker

In my experience it's a tall order - genuine self-acceptance and self-love. Completely impossible without God.

After all I've been through in my life, and all the miracles I've seen I'd have to agree. Actually, true self acceptance goes hand in hand with self discovery, which for me has been a really long process with lots of milestones. Yet it's amazing how much God has been there helping me through some of my own difficult self realization moments. Nobody ever stops learning and growing, but I'm happy at least at this point in my life, 30, I feel like my educational journey in true self-acceptance is leading me into a greater ability to serve others.

I hear you! The Image of God, (male & female), cannot be erased. It can be covered up by layer upon layer of illusion and self-loathing, (which then creates a life experience in line with illusion and self-loathing), but the Image of God is eternal.

Amen. Which is why the gospel tends to be contagious when it's spreading. Love it. :D And generosity is contagious, too.
A
Yes, the gender roles we take on really can work in harmonious, constructive and progressive ways..... it doesn't need to be all dissonance and "intense negotiations"! :chuckle:

And yet the most dissonance that I've seen is caused by female coldness, as with raising children. It's not even their fault but the damage gets done when a woman goes into the system of childrearing lies and fool's errands. When girl babies are raise too coldly, they become cold mothers, but with the men...

It doesn't kill off men's generosity to have a materialistic infancy, but it sure can make them less secure and less trusting, both bad for their well being. Wanderinfog reminds me of that. He's got generous male role models, but materialistic, non-maternal female relatives, and it's done its damage on his confidence with humanity's ability to get each other through hard times. Some people seem so defeated they are ready to lay down for the meat grinder. :nono:

That's why I've got to appeal to women, especially mothers. It's their responsibility to find a leadership role in nurturing the people of their communities, so men have their confidence in humanity restored and maybe even get a chance to self-actualize along the way while they are at it.

1PeaceMaker

This is a good idea. When it comes to feeding someone what they need to get by, I'm all in favor of that sort of charity. I've known some people who abuse their food stamps and get pie and sweets and stuff, but I'm all for people at least being able to at least get the basic staples of a diet, like beans and potatoes.

Personally, I would like to see whole communities come together for food sharing. If we do it that way, people who are shy about getting what they "need to get by" won't hesitate to hang out and get good food like everyone else who doesn't seem desparate. Social proof can overcome a lot of hesitation to get help.

So if we make it about sharing so much that we overflow with abundance, there will be no shortage of variety and healthy goodness to go around. Mothers always cook too much food anyway, unless they get sideswiped with a couple of shooting-up "weeds" - boys - they can really clean you out!

We need to get a dozen or so moms together in a place where they are all having a blast watching each others kids and cooking a half dozen different dishes to take home once a week. And giving to everyone, even those who wouldn't get a good meal without help.

It would help busy mothers who don't want to cook something every meal of the week. It would help community members who can't cook if their life depended on it. It could help a lot of people who aren't too poor yet to fill their grocery bags. And they can turn around and share the money from their food savings to provide more to those who have not.