Run in with social workers?

heir

TOL Subscriber
I keep reading on HSLDA that people have social workers coming to their door or the public school is asking questions of them that aren't required to be answered. Have any of you had run ins with either?

QueenAtHome

I have had no problems. Right now I live a block away from the county building, so I am a little cautious of having my children play when everyone is going to work (something about school age children playing in the yard at 8:30-9am might raise some eyebrows).

I think it also depends on where one lives, who they know (who is out to get them), how radical they are.

Some states are more lenient with their laws than others.

Not in all cases I realize, but I think that sometimes the child's well being also raises eyebrows.

Nowadays most people have at least heard of homeschooling. They might be not know the ins and outs of it, but they have atleast heard of it.

When I go out during "school hours" most people just assume that I homeschool.

Mystery

It brings joy to me heart when I see children who are somewhere else on a school day besides a public school.

:)

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I only got CPS called on me once, while homeschooling. We were living in California and :jessilu: was at my mom's while I went grocery shopping. Because she was 8 years old and outside playing during "school hours," one of my mom's neighbors called CPS on my mom, who told them that it was her granddaughter and gave them my address instead of my phone number. They showed up the next day at eleven in the morning (Thank God it was Steve's day off!). I told them that she was homeschooled and that was the end of it. Since moving to Indiana, when :jessilu: was 9 years old, I've had no problems with homeschooling and her playing outside during "school hours."