God's Criminal Justice System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2MuchCoffeeMan

I've read Enyart's the Plot, listened to the God's Criminal Justice System tapes and generally followed Enyart, Shadowgov and KGOV off and on for some time. I have to say I've found the entire concept of a bible-based christian legal system absolutely fascinating and quite exciting. But there are some aspects of the system Enyart describes that are rather difficult to accept. Not to say that I don't agree, you understand. But still...difficult.
It's the death penalty crimes, actually. Can't say I have the slightest problems with any restitution or corporeal punishment crimes at all. But some to the death penalty crimes (drunken/rebellious son, child who curses parents, adultery, etc.) are so far removed from today's thinking on these issues that it's difficult to get your mind around it. Hey, I'm a conservative christian. I understand how destructive these things are and I can read the bible as well as anyone else. I see God outlaw these things and command Israel to inflict the death penalty in these cases. You can't argue that the death penalty is the right punishment for these crimes if that's what God commanded.
But, as clear cut as that seems to be...still. It's tough.

Which brings up the idea, at least to me, what if these laws were in effect today? How would people really respond to them? I'm divorced, just to give some necessary background, and my wife's infidelity is what lead to that divorce (though, of course, I won't argue that I did my share of the damage to the marriage itself). What would I have done, even considering how hellish things became in my relationship with my wife, if I had caught her with another man while these laws were in effect?

To say "that's a tough call" is an understatement.

Or, what if my son cursed me? Or assaulted me? How would I/could I/should I respond to these situations under a bible-based legal system?

Granted, the whole weight of the death penalty is its' deterence, and the very existence of these laws on the books will serve to strongly deter these behaviors. But deterence only works if there are clear, well-known examples of the death penalty being carried out in the past with these kinds of cases. And we all know there's no society on earth that, even with these laws, won't have it's cases of adultery, etc.

When you consider this, you see why the wicked Pharisees found it so easy to "tweak" the mosaic law. And, as recall, Jesus was not too happy with them for it. Makes me wonder how much better we would do.

Anyway, any comments would be welcome.

Free-Agent Smith

But some to the death penalty crimes (drunken/rebellious son, child who curses parents, adultery, etc.) are so far removed from today's thinking on these issues that it's difficult to get your mind around it.

Maybe "today's thinking" is the problem.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Agent Smith
Excellent point Agent Smith! :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Or, what if my son cursed me? Or assaulted me? How would I/could I/should I respond to these situations under a bible-based legal system?"

A one-time offense wouldn't warrant that penalty, I think it was designed when a pattern of repeated rebellious behavior was established. Just a thought.

granite

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: God's Criminal Justice System...

Originally posted by 2MuchCoffeeMan
I've read Enyart's the Plot, listened to the God's Criminal Justice System tapes and generally followed Enyart, Shadowgov and KGOV off and on for some time. I have to say I've found the entire concept of a bible-based christian legal system absolutely fascinating and quite exciting. But there are some aspects of the system Enyart describes that are rather difficult to accept. Not to say that I don't agree, you understand. But still...difficult.
It's the death penalty crimes, actually. Can't say I have the slightest problems with any restitution or corporeal punishment crimes at all. But some to the death penalty crimes (drunken/rebellious son, child who curses parents, adultery, etc.) are so far removed from today's thinking on these issues that it's difficult to get your mind around it. Hey, I'm a conservative christian. I understand how destructive these things are and I can read the bible as well as anyone else. I see God outlaw these things and command Israel to inflict the death penalty in these cases. You can't argue that the death penalty is the right punishment for these crimes if that's what God commanded.
But, as clear cut as that seems to be...still. It's tough.

Which brings up the idea, at least to me, what if these laws were in effect today? How would people really respond to them? I'm divorced, just to give some necessary background, and my wife's infidelity is what lead to that divorce (though, of course, I won't argue that I did my share of the damage to the marriage itself). What would I have done, even considering how hellish things became in my relationship with my wife, if I had caught her with another man while these laws were in effect?

To say "that's a tough call" is an understatement.

Or, what if my son cursed me? Or assaulted me? How would I/could I/should I respond to these situations under a bible-based legal system?

Granted, the whole weight of the death penalty is its' deterence, and the very existence of these laws on the books will serve to strongly deter these behaviors. But deterence only works if there are clear, well-known examples of the death penalty being carried out in the past with these kinds of cases. And we all know there's no society on earth that, even with these laws, won't have it's cases of adultery, etc.

When you consider this, you see why the wicked Pharisees found it so easy to "tweak" the mosaic law. And, as recall, Jesus was not too happy with them for it. Makes me wonder how much better we would do.

Anyway, any comments would be welcome.

Determine in your own mind what you believe the Bible says the law should be then speak out for those changes. Keep in mind that individual citizens have not been given the authority to enforce what the law "should be".

2MuchCoffeeMan

Yup, no arguments there. Maybe the thing I'm bumping up against here is the realization of just how hard it would be for society to adjust to this thinking.

And, no, I haven't confused the law with vigilantism. Not a complete ultra-right wing christian conservative wacko. Merely a hair that side of plain old ultra-right wing christian conservative.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

A one-time offense wouldn't warrant that penalty, I think it was designed when a pattern of repeated rebellious behavior was established. Just a thought.

granite
Interesting thought. And if this law were in effect, what parent, after putting up with this kind of behavior one time, wouldn't make sure there would never be a second time by administering appropriate punishment? This would help ensure that worrying about him being put to death over rebellion wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe this is why God stresses not to spare the rod. If correct punishment is carried out in the household then there is no concern over a child being put to death over rebellion.

Free-Agent Smith

Yup, no arguments there. Maybe the thing I'm bumping up against here is the realization of just how hard it would be for society to adjust to this thinking.

And, no, I haven't confused the law with vigilantism. Not a complete ultra-right wing christian conservative wacko. Merely a hair that side of plain old ultra-right wing christian conservative.

Maybe you should consider what it took to take people away from that type of thinking. Why did people become so relaxed in administering justice?

2MuchCoffeeMan

Maybe you should consider what it took to take people away from that type of thinking. Why did people become so relaxed in administering justice?

Well, I don't personally think resisting the urge to do what is right and steadfastly adhering to wickedness is something mankind has ever had any really problem pulling off. I think getting away from righteous thinking (is that a good term, you think?) is all that hard at all.
Christians have always been, and always will be, outnumbered. Even a "christian" nation will, I think, inevitable deteriorate into...well, what we have now.

Last edited:

2MuchCoffeeMan

Originally posted by Poly
Interesting thought. And if this law were in effect, what parent, after putting up with this kind of behavior one time, wouldn't make sure there would never be a second time by administering appropriate punishment? This would help ensure that worrying about him being put to death over rebellion wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe this is why God stresses not to spare the rod. If correct punishment is carried out in the household then there is no concern over a child being put to death over rebellion.

Excellant point. I don't think any parent would drag their kid off the local police station the first time something like this happens. Although I suppose it's worthy of debate as to whether they should. But, if it continued, sooner or later the local law would get to know this kid on a first name basis. Wouldn't be long at all, I think, before a kid that rebellious found himself before a judge if the parents wouldn't intervene or didn't make the call themselves.

Free-Agent Smith

Well, I don't personally think resisting the urge to do what is right and steadfastly adhering to wickedness is something mankind has ever had any really problem pulling off. I think getting away from righteous thinking (is that a good term, you think?) is all that hard at all.
Christians have always been, and always will be, outnumbered. Even a "christian" nation will, I think, inevitable deteriate into...well, what we have now.

Our nation's criminal justice system, over time, has learned to embrace what God told us to punish.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Of course, putting one rebellious child to death for the first offense would serve as a powerful object lesson for any siblings... :noway:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gerald
Of course, putting one rebellious child to death for the first offense would serve as a powerful object lesson for any siblings... :noway:
And for ALL children. You might just have a point there, Gerald. Would you be willing to be that first child since the shoe fits?

2MuchCoffeeMan

Originally posted by Gerald

And your neighbor's children. And the kids down the block. And in the next county...

As for myself, I'm the youngest of three sons. :D

Gerald

Resident Fiend
You might just have a point there, Gerald. Would you be willing to be that first child since the shoe fits?
Only if you are the one to pull the trigger, my love...:chuckle:

Now give us a kiss, won't you...?:kiss:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Gerald

Resident Fiend
And your neighbor's children. And the kids down the block. And in the next county...

As for myself, I'm the youngest of three sons. :D
Heh, I've been trying for a while to nail these folks down about whether blasphemers, idolaters and apostates (crimes that the outspoken atheist is guilty of...) should be put to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.