Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Feature #6: 12-15-09 Yes, Display.exe will display sheet music. (A TOL'er called the radio studio, and I agreed to answer this here. I apologize that we've been too busy to keep up with this thread. On Jan. 1, 2010, we'll post to TOL either a typical output page from Display, or the program's own source code, depending upon interest.)

-Bob Enyart
    KGOV.com
    The Bob Enyart Live talk show airs at KGOV.com weekdays at 5 pm E.T. Also, same time, same station, check out Theology Thursday (.com) and on Fridays, Real Science Radio (.com) a.k.a. rsr.org. All shows are available 24/7 and you can call us at at 1-800-8Enyart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Enyart View Post
      Software Feature #6: 12-15-09 Yes, Display.exe will display sheet music. (A TOL'er called the radio studio, and I agreed to answer this here. I apologize that we've been too busy to keep up with this thread. On Jan. 1, 2010, we'll post to TOL either a typical output page from Display, or the program's own source code, depending upon interest.)

-Bob Enyart
      KGOV.com
      Both.

Comment

• Bob,

If you could make a short YouTube video showing it in action, that would be most enlightening. Take us step-by-step through a typical user session.

And if you are going to release the source code, does that mean display.exe will be open source?
        "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by kmoney View Post
          Both.
          What would an output page prove?

Best if he provides the working software as a download with instructions on how to use it. Just looking at the source code wouldn't the average Joe much, but I suppose some of us could compile it, run and test it, then report back here.
          "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by elohiym View Post
            In this case, less would be more.

If I want the program to output the source code for Microsoft Word, but it gives me more than one result, when only one result can possibly be the actual source code for Microsoft Word, then I am forced to figure out which output is the actual source code. Me having to do that, or to hire someone that can do that, renders the software completely useless.
            I do not speak for Bob. However, I don't recall him promising that this would be a practical application or a produt to be sold. But, that doesn't mean it has no value.

And if you are going to release the source code, does that mean display.exe will be open source?
            If I'm not mistaken, Display.exe will actually display its own source code.

Comment

• Originally posted by elohiym View Post
              What would an output page prove?
              Nothing. I'd still like to see some output.

Best if he provides the working software as a download with instructions on how to use it. Just looking at the source code wouldn't the average Joe much, but I suppose some of us could compile it, run and test it, then report back here.
              Or that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Graphite View Post
                ... I don't recall him promising that this would be a practical application or a produt to be sold. But, that doesn't mean it has no value.
                In the case of outputting another software's source code, unless display.exe produced only one correct copy of the source code, not thousands of possibilities, one would have no way of determining that the software actually worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmoney View Post
                  Nothing. I'd still like to see some output.

Or that.
                  I wouldn't hold my breath, kmo. This strikes me as an attempt at allegory more than anything else.

Comment

• Bob,

Some questions:

1. Can this program separate provable mathematical statements from non-provable ones? (I would assume so based on #4)

2. Can it return π to its final decimal place?

3. Will it run on Ubuntu Linux?

This sounds fascinating, although I would think the computing power needed would be far more than not only what we have available today, but anything short of quantum computers (maybe not even then). The program would not only have to generate something intelligible, it would also have to be able to recognize whether or not it's intelligible.

The yawners here are spoilsports. I enjoy a good mystery.
                    "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Software Feature #6: 12-15-09 Yes, Display.exe will display sheet music. (A TOL'er called the radio studio, and I agreed to answer this here. I apologize that we've been too busy to keep up with this thread. On Jan. 1, 2010, we'll post to TOL either a typical output page from Display, or the program's own source code, depending upon interest.)

-Bob Enyart
                      KGOV.com
                      Did I miss the post where this happened?

AMR
                      Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.

Do you confess?
                      Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
                      AMR's Randomata Blog
                      Learn Reformed Doctrine
                      I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
                      Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
                      Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
                      The best TOL Social Group: here.
                      If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
                      Why?

Comment

• He may be tied up, but I'm sure he'll get on this as soon as possible. The man is a workaholic.

Comment

• Display.exe source code and "lite" version for download

Display.exe Source Code

(This has been posted to the OP also.)

Public Class Form1
                          ....Dim n As Integer
                          ....Dim HistoryWritten As Boolean
                          ....Dim upperbound As Integer = 10000001
                          ....' Set binary array to needed length + 1
                          ....Dim MBit(upperbound) As Boolean

....Sub ZeroOutArray()
                          ........For n = 0 To upperbound - 1
                          ............MBit(n) = 0
                          ........Next
                          ....End Sub

....Sub Count()
                          ........n = 0
                          ........Do
                          ............If MBit(0) = False Then
                          ................MBit(0) = True
                          ................For n = 0 To 100000
                          ................Next
                          ................DisplayArray()
                          ............Else : HistoryWritten = True
                          ................For n = 0 To upperbound - 1
                          ....................If MBit(n) = False Then
                          ........................HistoryWritten = False
                          ....................End If
                          ................Next
                          ................If HistoryWritten = False Then
                          ....................n = 0
                          ....................MBit(n) = False
                          ....................Label1.Visible = False
                          ....................Do While MBit(n + 1) = True
                          ........................n = n + 1
                          ........................MBit(n) = False
                          ....................Loop
                          ....................MBit(n + 1) = True
                          ....................n = n + 1
                          ....................DisplayArray()
                          ................End If
                          ............End If
                          ........Loop Until n = upperbound
                          ....End Sub
                          ....' History dump... world, that is.
                          End Class

A "lite" version of Display.exe is available for download from KGOV.com.

-Bob Enyart
                          KGOV.com
                          Last edited by Bob Enyart; January 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM. Reason: indenting
                          The Bob Enyart Live talk show airs at KGOV.com weekdays at 5 pm E.T. Also, same time, same station, check out Theology Thursday (.com) and on Fridays, Real Science Radio (.com) a.k.a. rsr.org. All shows are available 24/7 and you can call us at at 1-800-8Enyart.

Comment

Display.exe Source Code

(This has been posted to the OP also.)

Public Class Form1
                            Dim n As Integer
                            Dim HistoryWritten As Boolean
                            Dim upperbound As Integer = 10000001
                            ' Set binary array to needed length + 1
                            Dim MBit(upperbound) As Boolean

Sub ZeroOutArray()
                            For n = 0 To upperbound - 1
                            MBit(n) = 0
                            Next
                            End Sub

Sub Count()
                            n = 0
                            Do
                            If MBit(0) = False Then
                            MBit(0) = True
                            For n = 0 To 100000
                            Next
                            DisplayArray()
                            Else : HistoryWritten = True
                            For n = 0 To upperbound - 1
                            If MBit(n) = False Then
                            HistoryWritten = False
                            End If
                            Next
                            If HistoryWritten = False Then
                            n = 0
                            MBit(n) = False
                            Label1.Visible = False
                            Do While MBit(n + 1) = True
                            n = n + 1
                            MBit(n) = False
                            Loop
                            MBit(n + 1) = True
                            n = n + 1
                            DisplayArray()
                            End If
                            End If
                            Loop Until n = upperbound
                            End Sub
                            End Class

A "lite" version of Display.exe is available for download from KGOV.com.

-Bob Enyart
                            KGOV.com

That looks like it'll produce just about anything you want it to...

in text only form ..
                            Where is the evidence for a global flood?
                            E≈mc2
                            "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
                            -Bob B.

Comment

• text, photos, graphs, etc.

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                              That looks like it'll produce just about anything you want it to... in text only form ..
                              Stripe, thanks for weighing in on this.

I'm going to have to find the time to go through this thread and see what's been happening. We have a funeral today. One of our dearest friends, wife and mother of teenage girls, has died. Many will miss her dearly.

Regarding the program, it will display the text of books, but not their text only, but also their photos (with captions), graphs, and charts.

Thanks again Stripe,

-Bob

Comment

• MR: Is Display a metaphor for open theism? aa is closer...

Regarding MR's comment about Display.exe being perhaps a metaphor for open theism, the program is not a metaphor but a mathematical proof. But to the extent that philosophers or theologians could use it as an argument, aa has a point:

Originally posted by assuranceagent View Post
                                That's been my inclination from the beginning, though somehow I think he's going to try to connect it to classical theism, rather than Open.
                                Upon considering the somewhat unnerving philosophical implications of the observations that Display generates (or that may come from any number of other sources, which I'm hoping this thread may eventually help to discover), I believe that Calvinists and Arminians will be the first to use this in defense of their theology, and certainly against open theism.

An open theist, wondering about my motives, asked me: "If by appearances, Display.exe will be more readily used as an argument for those who promote a settled future (as opposed to an open future), then why promote it?" I answered, because it is true. And acknowledging truth, regardless of how it cuts, brings us closer to the one who is Truth.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X