The Edge's CREEPY devotion to the Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbrumley

First off, let me say I am a big U2 fan. I really like the music they play. But that does not mean I idolize the band or even the members in it.

The group is active in political causes, but they are liberal, humanistic ones. For example, in 1992 they played a benefit concert for the environmentalist/pacifist group Greenpeace and joined Greenpeace in protesting against a nuclear power plant. One of their hits, “Pride,” is a tribute to the civil rights leader Martin Luther King; and in 1994, U2 received the Martin Luther King Freedom Award. King was an adulterous, modernistic preacher who taught a false social gospel. U2 supported the adulterous, abortion-homosexual supporting Bill Clinton in his 1992 run for president. Clinton conversed with them on a national radio talk show during the election campaign and met them in a hotel room in Chicago. At the same time they mocked George Bush during their USA concerts that year. They featured a video clip depicting Bush chanting the words to “We Will Rock You” by the homosexual rock group Queen. Members of U2 performed at Bill Clinton’s televised inaugural ball on MTV. Bono said he was glad that Clinton’s election was a victory for homosexuals (Flanagan, p. 100).

Bono’s passion in recent years has been AIDS and poverty in Africa. He has petitioned Western governments such as America and Britain to cancel the debts of African nations and to increase foreign aid. While Bono does call upon African leaders to “practice democracy, accountability, and transparency,” he does not tie this in with foreign aid and does not put the blame of Africa’s AIDS and poverty problem where it truly and solely belongs, which is government corruption, pagan religion, and its corollary, the lack of moral character, and immorality. If the entire wealth of America and Europe were transferred to Africa tomorrow, it would not result in significant and lasting change unless these factors were first addressed, and Bono’s plan does not significantly address them nor require any such radical systemic change. Instead, Bono puts the largest part of the blame for Africa’s ills upon the unfair trade practices of and lack of aid by Western nations and the lack of compassion on the part of Christians. Speaking before Wheaton College in December 2002, Bono said, “Christ talks about the poor [and says] ‘whatever you have done to least of these brothers of mine, you've done to me.’ In Africa right now, the least of my brethren are dying in shiploads and we are not responding. We're here to sound the alarm” (Christianity Today, Dec. 9, 2002). Bono thus grossly misapplies Christ’s statement in Matthew 25:40, applying it to the unsaved in general rather than to the nation Israel. The is the Fatherhood of God heresy that Mother Teresa also held, that all men are the children of God regardless of whether they have faith in Christ. Further, if Matthew 25:40 is a reference to the unsaved in general, the apostles and early Christians failed miserably, for there is no record that they attempted to relieve the social ills of the Roman Empire in general. In fact, the context of Matthew 25:32-46 is immediately following the return of Christ at the end of the Tribulation, and it describes how Christ will judge the nations on the basis of how they treated His people the Jews, which will be so viciously persecuted during that period. Compare Rev. 7:4-14.

At Wheaton Bono also said, “It’s a remarkable thing, the idea that there’s some sort of hierarchy to sin. It’s something I can never figure out, the idea that sexual immorality is somehow much worse than, say, institutional greed. Somewhere in the back of the religious mind is this idea that we reap what we sow is missing the entire New Testament and the concept of grace completely” (“Backstage with Bono,” Christianitytoday.com music interviews, Dec. 9, 2002). Bono’s speeches are as ambiguous as his music lyrics, but the Christianity Today reporter understood that Bono was saying that reaping what we sow is not a biblical teaching and is contrary to grace. In fact, the Bible plainly says, “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7), and that was stated in the very context of Paul’s teaching about grace. God’s grace through Christ is offered to all men, but its reception requires repentance and faith (Acts 20:21). Nowhere in the New Testament do we find Christ or the apostles fretting about “institutional greed” or rebuking the Roman government for its institutional sins; but the New Testament says a LOT about personal sin and sexual immorality!

Bono’s christ appears to be a false one. He says he is “attracted to people like Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Christ, to pacifism” (U2: The Rolling Stone Files, p. xxviii). The Lord Jesus Christ of the Bible is not a pacifist. He is not anything like the adulterous, theologically modernist Martin Luther King or the Hindu Gandhi. Christ did instruct His people not to resist evil in the sense of taking up arms for religious causes. When persecuted, we are to endure it (1 Cor. 4:12); but Christ did not teach pacifism. Christ’s forerunner, John the Baptist, warned soldiers to be content with their wages, but he did not rebuke them for carrying arms as soldiers (Lk. 3:14). Before his death, Christ instructed his followers to provide swords for themselves (Lk. 22:32-38). Christ said he came not to send peace but a sword (Mt. 10:34). In fact, the Lord Jesus Christ will return on a white horse to make war with his enemies (Rev. 19:11-16). The Christ of the Bible is no pacifist and He did not establish a pacifist movement.

Cite

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That's a great article.

However, rock & roll itself is not contrary to who one may be in Christ, as the "cite" appears to be saying. But the lifestyle associated with secular rock bands is. However, the same can be said about secualr pop bands, secular rap groups, or any number of secular musicians. It's not about the style of music, it's about the message, and the lifestyle of those in the band.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
Yes, he idolizes U2, and it's creepy...we knew that before you posted the article.

:)
He may wear Edge underwear I don't know. He clearly likes U2 a lot. Whether he really has a creepy devotion to The Edge or is just having fun making you think so is a little bit hard to discern from the piot of veiew of someone who only sees the TOL veiw of him.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, I told you guys I've set up an altar to The Edge in my house, and I'm trying to save up to buy his guitars, and I also am trying to contact him so he can come to the US and give me guiatar lessons (as soon as their current tour is over) and I also have a license plate on my van bearing his name. This board? This is only the beginning!!!

Seriously, come on people. You're not going to draw me into another crazy fight...especially you, Doc

Chileice

drbrumley said:
First off, let me say I am a big U2 fan. I really like the music they play. But that does not mean I idolize the band or even the members in it.

Cite

What about drbrumley's CREEPY devotion to Ron Paul?? I mean honestly, brumley you have started more than a dozen threads all based on Ron Paul speeches or press releases. So it may be a bit of a case of the pot calling the kettle black. We all have people, music groups, artists, someone we admire. I really don't think your devotion to Ron Paul makes you a creep. I am just pointing out how easy it is to see something odd in the other guy when others could say the same about you or about me.

julie21

Chileice said:
What about drbrumley's CREEPY devotion to Ron Paul?? I mean honestly, brumley you have started more than a dozen threads all based on Ron Paul speeches or press releases. So it may be a bit of a case of the pot calling the kettle black. We all have people, music groups, artists, someone we admire. I really don't think your devotion to Ron Paul makes you a creep. I am just pointing out how easy it is to see something odd in the other guy when others could say the same about you or about me.
Here! Here! Chileice...a voice of reason in the wilderness! Nw that is a 'gentle rebuke' if ever I've seen one! ;)

julie21

For a moment , I thought you had meant John Paul Ringo and George! Silly me :doh: [Only having some fun now, Chileice ;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.