The Terri Case - this is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Stelakh

Beautiful! You are correct. There are other ways that the courts are violating the constitution as well. But your post hit the nail on the head. And as a military officer I swore an oath to "support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic."

wholearmor

The Edge said:
Stelakh

Beautiful! You are correct. There are other ways that the courts are violating the constitution as well. But your post hit the nail on the head. And as a military officer I swore an oath to "support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic."

Then hustle on down to our border with Mexico, will ya'?

Stelakh

Just idle thought here, but I'm wondering about Michael Schiavo and the vilification he's received.

I've seen so many posts about how he's "shacked up with another woman and has two kids by her", and any variation on that theme, all of which are said to show he doesn't love his wife, is only in it for money and to kill her, etc, and shows a complete lack of devotion to her.

There are options that he could have taken if he has been so totally and completely "non-devotional" where his wife is concerned. Not the least of which is divorce. Which he has not done.

I've seen posts here referencing the over $650,000.00 paid to his attorneys during his fight. We all know that Mrs. Schiavo received cerebral insult over 15 years ago, and yet he's still involved.

Whether or not I agree with his actions where Mrs. Schiavo is concerned, he could have simply walked away. For fifteen years he could have simply walked away, and he obviously hasn't. I'm wondering why, and I'm thinking it can't be that he's just a jerk.

Yes, he is currently living with a woman he calls his fiancee. Yes, he has children with her. But again, I wonder. How would YOU want him to handle his life if you were Terri Schiavo?

If it were me, in a state where my cerebral cortex had 80% degradation, I can say that I wouldn't want to be kept alive by extraordinary means. But, aside from that, I'd want my wife to move on in her life, to live her life for HER, and not for me. I'd want her to be happy and to have someone to grow old with, and if that person couldn't be me because I was in a state like Mrs. Schiavo, I'd hope she'd find someone who would be.

I don't think we should be coming down too harshly on Mr. Schiavo for trying to move on with his life. Fifteen years is a long time, and none of us know him personally.

None of us have been talking to him for the past fifteen years. None of us have been close enough to her parents. None of us knows the whole story.

Sozo

Zakath said:
It's too late, then...

Free will does not guarrantee unlimited ability to change one's mind and affect a different outcome in an event.

Unrelated, but... :D

Nineveh

Merely Christian
keypurr said:
Any money he got paid her bills.

Summary of expenses paid from Terri’s 1.2 Million Dollar medical trust fund (jury awarded 1992)

Atty Gwyneth Stanley $10,668.05
Atty Deborah Bushnell $65,607.00
Atty Steve Nilson $7,404.95
Atty Pacarek $1,500.00
Atty Richard Pearse (GAL) $4,511.95
Atty George Felos $397,249.99

1st Union/South Trust Bank $55,459.85
Michael Schiavo $10,929.95

Total $545,852.34

Not to mention in November of 1992 "Michael Schiavo awarded $600,000 in malpractice trial." Three months before: Michael Schiavo denies recommended rehabilitation treatment in February of 1993.

All information taken from here

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Stelakh said:
he could have simply walked away. For fifteen years he could have simply walked away, and he obviously hasn't. I'm wondering why, and I'm thinking it can't be that he's just a jerk.

If I'm not mistaken there is still a life insurance policy on her. Obviously $600,000 just isn't enough to pay off greer. Check out the time line of events. There is a reason people who have been with this event for a while feel like they do about this guy.

Crow

Nineveh said:
If I'm not mistaken there is still a life insurance policy on her. Obviously $600,000 just isn't enough to pay off greer. Check out the time line of events. There is a reason people who have been with this event for a while feel like they do about this guy.

Even if he were the nicest guy in the world, nice isn't what this issue is about. Even nice people do wicked things. Even nice people have mistaken concepts.

Killing an innocent person deliberately has always been inherently wrong.

Stelakh

Nineveh said:
If I'm not mistaken there is still a life insurance policy on her.

Which may or may not be in effect if he were to divorce her. It depends on the laws of the particular state, as well as the policy's declarations of insurance.

Since the life insurnace has been mentioned here several times too, I'd really like to see the policy. I know that my father's "rock solid" life insurance wasn't paid when he died because the company said his policy didn't cover natural causes, just accidental death.

I've seen a lot of things thrown around here that are conjecture and heresay. And, frankly, if Mr. Schiavo REALLY wanted to make money, all he'd need to do is come here, read the posts and then sue for libel and defamation of character.

My point is that the only person who knows his true motives are him. It's convenient to make him a monster (even if he really is), but it's wrong to do so unless you have the entire story (something I don't think anyone will ever have).

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Stelakh said:
My point is that the only person who knows his true motives are him. It's convenient to make him a monster (even if he really is), but it's wrong to do so unless you have the entire story (something I don't think anyone will ever have).

Looks like he's building his own reputation. Did you bother to look at the timeline from people who have been with this from the beginning? Or are you merely going to remain content supporting the murder of handicapped folks?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Stelakh said:
I've seen a lot of things thrown around here that are conjecture and heresay. And, frankly, if Mr. Schiavo REALLY wanted to make money, all he'd need to do is come here, read the posts and then sue for libel and defamation of character.

From the same guy who wrote this:

Originally Posted by Stelakh
I'm new around here, but I'm wading in anyway, simply because it seems so few actually understand the American system of government and the United States Constitution.

:doh:

This isn't a matter of convenience. :nono:

Stelakh,

I agree that the actions of the executive and legeslative branches have been nothing short of reprehensible in this case. In particular, I hope that this whole case costs Gov. Bush dearly politically. He needs to be defending our Constitution, and standing up for the State of Florida, instead he's been doing everything possible to sidestep the state judiciary.

I've come to realize that the Christian fundamentalists around would see their views upheld, no matter what the cost, even if it means the dismantling of our cherished Constitution. You should see some of them (theonomists) go on and on about theocracy and how it is their mandate to set up a theocracy in the United States. In fact, I beleve the pastor of the Church many here follow has such a view. It's no wonder they could care less about the Constitutional implications of this case and the actions that have transpired.

Crow

I believe that it's not just Christian theonomists who hold the opinion that this woman should not be starved to death. It crosses all faiths, and even into some who have no religion.

Plenty of different people on both sides of the argument.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
You guys keep screaming that Congressional intervention is unConstitutional, yet have failed to explain why. For that, you get 'Bad Rep Points'!

Crow said:
I believe that it's not just Christian theonomists who hold the opinion that this woman should not be starved to death. It crosses all faiths, and even into some who have no religion.

Plenty of different people on both sides of the argument.

Crow, one can disagree with the court descisions, yet still respect the authority of the State courts who made them - and see that this should never have become a federal matter.

Anyone who has understanding of the Constitution should be able to see the clear violations in the events that have transpired...

BillyBob said:
You guys keep screaming that Congressional intervention is unConstitutional, yet have failed to explain why. For that, you get 'Bad Rep Points'!

C'mon BillyBob, it has been said why, you just stick your head in the sand and say "You're wrong" without disproving or refuting the arguments.

These are the facts:

Congress orders a federal court to re-open a state court's final judgment on a family law issue.

Do you know what Federalism is?
Do you know what separation of powers is?
Do you agree federalism and separation of powers are Constitutional concepts?
Do you agree that the legislature is charged with creating laws, while the judiciary is charged with interpreting them?
Do you agree that once a matter has been ruled on, it's not merely "creating" laws if the only purpose of new legislation is essentially to get another court to overturn it?

Agape4Robin

The hospice nurse who took care of Terri was on Hannity and Combs last night. She said that before he got the idea :idea: that Terri didn't want to live this way, he confided to her that he didn't know what to do about Terri, :nono: that she and he NEVER talked about it.

Makes sense.....not many 20 somethings think about those things. I figured that Michael has been making it up the whole time, and that's not all, Terri's best friend was also on and talked about how she and Michael were not the happily married couple :nono: :straight: everyone thought they were, and she often came to work with bruises. There is even xrays of Terri having broken, untreated bones. And yet Judge Greer refuses to see. :bang:

Agape4Robin

This is MORE than a family issue............this is about LIFE OR DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you get it? A woman lay dying at the wishes of her husband..... :rain:

Status
Not open for further replies.