The Terri Case - this is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thia

Dread Helm said:
Ok just to clarify to the willfully ignorant and others: We're talking about a disabled person. It's ok for them to die (old age, terminal illness, etc.) but it is not ok to kill said disabled person.

Convicted Capital Criminals should be swiftly executed.

Aha. One needs to be clear when making 'big' statements.

Agape4Robin

This is breaking my heart!!!!!! :em: Terri's parents are on the news.....afraid to see her.....how can the courts feel NO remorse to allow this dear woman to die?????? :confused: :madmad:

Agape4Robin

OH :vomit: they are reporting that Michael is with her at her bedside........saying that she is peaceful.....yeah MORON....thanks to the morphine!!!!!! :bang:

Agape4Robin

There is a court order that she be creamated.....but he will allow an autopsy.....That grandstanding jerk face!!!! :Grizzly: Michael, Judge Greer, and George Felos!! :grave:

JoyfulRook

You blinked, you missed it. The pro-life community just switched positions; it now supports assisted suicide! In their vital fight to save Florida’s Terri Schiavo from being starved to death by judicial decree, they foolishly hinged their position on the absence of a “written directive.” If the Hemlock Society had tried to pass a federal law legitimizing assisted suicide, pro-lifers would have stopped them. But pro-life leaders have so often compromised on “Thou shall not murder,” they no longer realize when they’re making concessions. They tried desperately to pass the Incapacitated Persons Legal Protection Act which, for the first time ever in federal law, would have legitimized state assisted suicide laws permitting “the withdrawal of food or fluids” simply with “a written advance directive valid under applicable law.” It's okay for dying people to die, it's not ok to kill them. Morality does not require ventilating and pumping fluids through a virtual corpse that has no brain activity, but starving someone to death is wrong. With this development, the pro-life movement would have people looking to “pull the plug,” and when finding no plug, go ahead and assist in suicide by starvation because of a “written directive.” And now that even pro-lifers are sliding down the slippery slope, when the culture of death wants to prevent the suffering of starvation and administer a mercy-killing lethal injection, who will be left to argue?

-Pastor Bob Enyart, DenverBibleChurch.org

PS. Legitimize means to declare legally valid; in accordance with law.

Just thought I would repost this.

BillyBob said:
Why change the parameters? Let's, instead, ask the question from the perspective of reality.

We KNOW that Terri is NOT in a vegetative state. We DO NOT know that she has no chance of recovery to some degree.

Now, re ask your question.

Your "declaration of reality" is disputed, not just by people like me, but by court appointed neurologists and other experts. I am trying to eliminate the he said she said here to try and take a look at the underlying issues.

Lets be fair.

If we KNEW that Terri was not in a vegetative state, and we KNEW there was hope for her recovery, and we KNEW that she wanted to continue living, then the courts/husband have made a grave error.

I have the intellectual honesty to admit that. Can you do the same? I set the parameters the way I did because I want to see how many can separate reason from emotion here.

I ask again, for any to answer:

If we KNEW Terri was in a vegetative state without hope of recovery and we KNEW her wishes were to not be kept on life support under those circumstances, have the courts made the correct descision?

Dread Helm said:
If said medical treatment includes assisted suicide yes.

I would hardly call assisted suicide "medical treatment". Medical treatment is aimed at prolonging life. Assisted suicide is just the opposite.

Is it "assisted suicide" to respect the wishes of a person who refuses medical treatment?

C

cattyfan

Your "declaration of reality" is disputed, not just by people like me, but by court appointed neurologists and other experts. I am trying to eliminate the he said she said here to try and take a look at the underlying issues.

Lets be fair.

If we KNEW that Terri was not in a vegetative state, and we KNEW there was hope for her recovery, and we KNEW that she wanted to continue living, then the courts/husband have made a grave error.

I have the intellectual honesty to admit that. Can you do the same? I set the parameters the way I did because I want to see how many can separate reason from emotion here.

I ask again, for any to answer:

The problem is that your supposedly "emotion free" scenario doesn't match the scenario of the actual factual case we're discussing; therefore your question has no relevance for this discussion.

Do you have the "intellectual honesty" to admit that?

additionally, like it or not, emotion is what drives this case...from the emotions of the parents who love their daughter to the emotions of Michael Shiavo who doesn't love his wife anymore but loves some other woman he's been sleeping with for years, to the emotions of pride and stubborness the judge feels while digging iin his heels.

Nobody, no matter how much they attempt to claim otherwise, makes decisions completely divorced from emotion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar.

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Chileice said:
I would be interested to hear the answers to these questions from others:
1. What would you want if YOU were in Terri's position or what would you have hoped you had done ahead of time, what directives would you have wanted to give?

If I were Terri, I'd want a drink of water and something to eat. I hope I have made it clear to my family, I expect to be treated like a human being, since that's what they can expect from me.

2. What if you were Terri's husband, what would YOU do?

I don't have it in me to treat another human being like that. So besides the gender thing, I can't relate to him on a heart level either.

3. What if you were Terri's parent, what would YOU do?

I would be praying and sobbing so hard in my jail cell I would have energy for nothing else.

4. Given the caseAS IT IS: What if I you were a judge, what would YOU propose as a solution?

She would have been given every benefit starting in the early 90s. That includes getting her tetth brushed and an MRI.

5. What lessons can we learn from this tragic case?

That the judiciary needs an overhaul.

6. What are your hopes for a resolution?.[/QUOTE]

That someone will give that woman a drink of water. That Greer repents and orders her treated like a human being. That Michael repents from murdering his "wife". That he lets his "wife" go home to her parents.

And I'll add my hope for the future:
That it doesn't become "safe and legal" to "abort" the infirm, handicapped and aged.

keypurr

deardelmar said:
Terry is not being "kept breathing" are you unaware of the facts or are you a liar?
Which of us knows ALL the facts. I personaly would not want to live in the state of health she is in. Would you?

cattyfan said:
The problem is that your supposedly "emotion free" scenario doesn't match the scenario of the actual factual case we're discussing; therefore your question has no relevance for this discussion.

Do you have the "intellectual honesty" to admit that?

additionally, like it or not, emotion is what drives this case...from the emotions of the parents who love their daughter to the emotions of Michael Shiavo who doesn't love his wife anymore but loves some other woman he's been sleeping with for years, to the emotions of pride and stubborness the judge feels while digging iin his heels.

Nobody, no matter how much they attempt to claim otherwise, makes decisions completely divorced from emotion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar.

Why don't you just answer the question! :sozo:

keypurr

wholearmor said:
Nobody knows. That's the whole point. Plus, it doesn't matter anyway. Suicide and assisted suicide are illegal. Besides, I wouldn't want to live if I were like you, so can I starve you to death?
Your not mature enough to live like me.

keypurr

Nineveh said:
:shocked:

You mean it's a question some of the money has went to her actual care? Why aren't you asking about the 10k in his name? Isn't that a little odd? Or the 55k in the name of a bank?

I wonder...

Do you know what michael has denied this woman?

To be honest, I don't know everything that is going on with her except that she has no way of living any kind of life. I ask you, if you were her, would you want to go on living?

wholearmor

keypurr said:
Which of us knows ALL the facts. I personaly would not want to live in the state of health she is in. Would you?

I personally would not want to live in the state of health of Christopher Reeve when he was alive, either, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.