Where did bats come from?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So I am still waiting to hear whether scientists know what bats descended from.

Or is it possible that the ancestor of the bats was bats that were created on the same day as all the other creatures that fly?

noguru

Or is it possible that the ancestor of the bats was bats that were created on the same day as all the other creatures that fly?

God did it. Bob. It is just like magic. Wave your hand and there is no more mystery surrounding the common ancestor of bats. :)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Me too. That entire blisteringly stupid post from a "science lover" that is nothing more than biblical mysticism for example.

This is a theology forum, brainiac. This thread itself is in the "Religion" catagory. Bob's post explaining some Biblical Hebrew words pertaining to the topic was interesting, and fits in just fine here.

(sorry bob, I shouldn't spur him on...)

PlastikBuddha

This is a theology forum, brainiac. This thread itself is in the "Religion" catagory. Bob's post explaining some Biblical Hebrew words pertaining to the topic was interesting, and fits in just fine here.

But the thread was about a scientific matter- the possible ancestors of bats.

zoo22

Don't be silly.

Everybody knows that bats are what vampires turn into.

Now, the real question is: Where do vampires come from? ;)

It's a circular thing. Vampire bats come from vampires, vampires come from vampire bats. The chicken and egg dilemma.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yes, molecular biology seems to indicate a difference between the microchiroptera and the macrochioptera.

The problem is that they have very fragile bones, and live where fossilization is very unlikely. Consequently, we have little data from the fossil record to support other data.

It's still an open question.

zoo22

Yes, molecular biology seems to indicate a difference between the microchiroptera and the macrochioptera.

The problem is that they have very fragile bones, and live where fossilization is very unlikely. Consequently, we have little data from the fossil record to support other data.

It's still an open question.

Tiny bones. Like meece.

Or moles or voles.

Jukia

Wrong answer bob b. But keep playing, someday you might get it right. Even a stopped clock is right 2x a day, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

SUTG

No, not possible.

Bats are animals, bob. We know that animals evolved, they were not created.

noguru

Yes, that is because Nineveh decided that it would be apropriate to combine science into the religion forum. They use to be seperate, but since the fundamentalist mind seems incapable of distinguishing between science and religion we must discuss science in this forum.

uk_mikey

It's a circular thing. Vampire bats come from vampires, vampires come from vampire bats. The chicken and egg dilemma.

But vampires can come from either... I mean, new vampires can be created from the bite of either a vampire or a vampire bat, as they are the same thing but in different form?

No idea where vampires evolved from, though. Maybe it was some sort of mutation of human with a vampire bat, and hey presto, a vampire in human form!

Dunno. Can't even dig up vampire remains, because they never die naturally, and when they are killed, they turn to dust and blow away. :idunno: