Where did bats come from?

noguru

Why they must have evolved like everything else, of course. ;)

Some were created by God to control nocturnal insect populations. Others were created by God to reduce the amount of fruit available to other species. And a few species (3 or 4 I think) were created to feed on the blood of other animals. All of them were created to scare us. :chuckle:

Vern Reed

BANNED
Banned
I suppose the flying squirrel will be used at some point to either support or refute any implied standpoint of Mr Bob B!

Last edited:

noguru

I was hoping you could tell me what they evolved from.

All modern species evolved from the two animals (one species) that Noah brought on the arc. Or were they considered clean? :doh: Bob do you think these original two were insectivores, herbivores, or fed on blood? :chuckle:

koban

Don't be silly.

Everybody knows that bats are what vampires turn into.

Now, the real question is: Where do vampires come from? ;)

Vern Reed

BANNED
Banned
The universe is geared for life, and life is complex. If there was a chance for something mad to happen out of all this chaos, it would had to happen at some point wouldn't it? Possibly? Hoho!

noguru

Thanks for the link. I've never seen this one before. I do have a lot of "bat links" from evolution-friendly sites though.

They say pretty much the same thing except they omit the part about God. For example Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat

Yes, and we all know that any good article about a mystery in science should appeal to God in order to solve the mystery.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So where do you guys think bats came from?

I take it that Vern and noguru just said they don't know and/or don't care.

noguru

So where do you guys think bats came from?

I think we have enough evidence to know that all the species of modern bats evolved from a common ancestor that was a mammal. We do not have enough evidence to determine what type of mammal was the common ancestor.