The Dilemma of the Geological Layers and their Fossil Contents

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite is apparently too lazy to start his own thread about the "Geological Layers and their Fossil Contents". So I did it for him.

Skeptic

Perhaps a better word would be "myth".
Is there something absent from geological layers and their fossil contents that today's scientists expected to find?

Or is there something present in geological layers and their fossil contents that today's scientists expected not to find?

Please share with us your empirical evidence, Bob.

fool

Hall of Fame
You break fewer bits if you go slow.
You can drill really fast but when the bit breaks you have to pull the whole thing all the way back up to change it out.
I think that's the dilema he's talking about.
I think the solution is to go steady.

SUTG

You break fewer bits if you go slow.
You can drill really fast but when the bit breaks you have to pull the whole thing all the way back up to change it out.
I think that's the dilema he's talking about.
I think the solution is to go steady.

I think what most people don't realize is that alot of the time, the bit breaks because it gets too hot. The more you try and rush, the more likely it is you'll heat up that bit and end up with a broken bit, and this costs you time and money. (Also, remember to let the bit cool before you try and change it. You've already screwed up, you don't want to burn your fingers in addition!)

So, in summary, I'm with fool: When drilling always go slow and steady.

Up Next: Fool wields a hacksaw!

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How's it a 'dilemma'?

The dilemma is how the sedimentary geological layers were formed in the first place.

A slow accumulation is not seen in the world today to any great extent except at river deltas and continental margins.

Before the wave of intense exploration of the ocean starting in the 1950s it was believed that the accumulation had occurred in the oceans or else in hypothetical shallow "inland seas".

Now that more is known about the oceans it is time to revisit this "dilemma".

noguru

The dilemma is how the sedimentary geological layers were formed in the first place.

A slow accumulation is not seen in the world today to any great extent except at river deltas and continental margins.

Before the wave of intense exploration of the ocean starting in the 1950s it was believed that the accumulation had occurred in the oceans or else in hypothetical shallow "inland seas".

Now that more is known about the oceans it is time to revisit this "dilemma".

It seems that they already are.

New Study

Here is a recent study, completed last year.

Last year

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no way that an extended period of accumulation can account for any of the numerous sedimentary deposits that show distinct uniformity in the patterns of their layers or almost complete homogeneity.

There is absolutely no way millions of years of slow accumulation could account for the mixed grain size deposits commonly found.

There is almost no way a fossil could be trapped by deposits that aren't sudden and catastrophic.

If there are millions of years to account for through the history of the Earth, they aren't in the rocks.

noguru

There is no way that an extended period of accumulation can account for any of the numerous sedimentary deposits that show distinct uniformity in the patterns of their layers or almost complete homogeneity.

There is absolutely no way millions of years of slow accumulation could account for the mixed grain size deposits commonly found.

There is almost no way a fossil could be trapped by deposits that aren't sudden and catastrophic.

If there are millions of years to account for through the history of the Earth, they aren't in the rocks.

So you are saying that millions of years of water and floods on the surface of this planet could not have caused the strata, but a single global flood only a few thousand years ago could?

Here is another link to some other articles on this subject.

sedimentary geology

It is strange that experts in this area don't agree with you.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you are saying that millions of years of water and floods on the surface of this planet could not have caused the strata, but a single global flood only a few thousand years ago could?
No. I said the deposits I mentioned were not generated by a steady, slow accumulation. I presented no evidence at all let alone against the Earth being millions of years old.

It is strange that experts in this area don't agree with you.
Do you think they'll stop by and engage in meaningful debate?

noguru

No. I said the deposits I mentioned were not generated by a steady, slow accumulation. I presented no evidence at all let alone against the Earth being millions of years old.

What geologists claims that all deposits are slow and steady? The principle of unifomitarianism does not require a consistent or constant scope or magnitude. It only assumes that some principles remain constant. But those principles are influenced by inconsistent and changing conditions.

Do you think they'll stop by and engage in meaningful debate?

Are you making them an offer? :think:

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
Bob B are you saying that all the rock layers around the world were formed in one year ?

If so what year roughly do you believe this happened, if not then when and how do you believe it happened.

Let's have a good starting point from your side to debate.

I maintain it happened over millions of years, that's my starting point.