How Random Mutations Work

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Source of Novels

On the Derivation of Ulysses from Don Quixote

I IMAGINE THIS story being told to me by Jorge Luis Borges one evening in a Buenos Aires cafe.

His voice dry and infinitely ironic, the aging, nearly blind literary master observes that "the Ulysses," mistakenly attributed to the Irishman James Joyce, is in fact derived from "the Quixote."

I raise my eyebrows.

Borges pauses to sip discreetly at the bitter coffee our waiter has placed in front of him, guiding his hands to the saucer.

"The details of the remarkable series of events in question may be found at the University of Leiden," he says. "They were conveyed to me by the Freemason Alejandro Ferri in Montevideo."

Borges wipes his thin lips with a linen handkerchief that he has withdrawn from his breast pocket.

"As you know," he continues, "the original handwritten text of the Quixote was given to an order of French Cistercians in the autumn of 1576."

I hold up my hand to signify to our waiter that no further service is needed.

"Curiously enough, for none of the brothers could read Spanish, the Order was charged by the Papal Nuncio, Hoyo dos Monterrey (a man of great refinement and implacable will), with the responsibility for copying the Quixote, the printing press having then gained no currency in the wilderness of what is now known as the department of Auvergne. Unable to speak or read Spanish, a language they not unreasonably detested, the brothers copied the Quixote over and over again, re-creating the text but, of course, compromising it as well, and so inadvertently discovering the true nature of authorship. Thus they created Fernando Lor's Los Hombres d'Estado in 1585 by means of a singular series of copying errors, and then in 1654 Juan Luis Samorza's remarkable epistolary novel Por Favor by the same means, and then in 1685, the errors having accumulated sufficiently to change Spanish into French, Moliere's Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, their copying continuous and indefatigable, the work handed down from generation to generation as a sacred but secret trust, so that in time the brothers of the monastery, known only to members of the Bourbon house and, rumor has it, the Englishman and psychic Conan Doyle, copied into creation Stendhal's The Red and the Black and Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and then as a result of a particularly significant series of errors, in which French changed into Russian, Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Anna Karenina. Late in the last decade of the 19th century there suddenly emerged, in English, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest, and then the brothers, their numbers reduced by an infectious disease of mysterious origin, finally copied the Ulysses into creation in 1902, the manuscript lying neglected for almost thirteen years and then mysteriously making its way to Paris in 1915, just months before the British attack on the Somme, a circumstance whose significance remains to be determined."

I sit there, amazed at what Borges has recounted. "Is it your understanding, then," I ask, "that every novel in the West was created in this way?"

"Of course," replies Borges imperturbably. Then he adds: "Although every novel is derived directly from another novel, there is really only one novel, the Quixote."
------------
David Berlinski

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Language demonstrably evolves, and so does literature. All art is derivative. But art is Lamarckan in evolution, capable of great jumps and novel features unrelated to anything that went before.

Biological evolution is confined to modifying existing things. Fortunately, that makes it easier to track.

Johnny

bob b said:
Please clarify: is that a "slam" against the two of us or praise or neither?
It means you just post other people's work you happen to like with little novel thought. All of us could fill this forum up with articles that interest us or support our positions if we wanted.

Andre1983

What you fail to realize is that if we are a book by Oscar Wilde, chimps are simply the american version of the same book.

Mice and non-ape mammals are the same book in an early manuscript.

Besides, comparing us to books that already exist is like saying that we're perfect: That we match certain criteria.
Fact is, humans can improve by adding pages to the book -- and our ancestors are an early manuscript for the same book.

Though, Oscar Wilde would have to live forever to create a book that is able to match evolution for comparison.

I doubt humans are the pinnacle of what it possible for life...
So I guess we're simply one of Oscar Wilde's manuscripts as well, each new word chosen because it was the one that fit the best -- with millions of different outcasts that tie as the "best"...

My son is merely another letter of another word -- but he is an addition that is put after where Oscar Wilde stopped...

I agree that other living creatures can be compared to different manuscripts for books that never finish -- like lizards beeing another book by Oscar Wilde, one that contains what later was separated into the new book of mammals.

Only plants can be said to have a different author -- but all authors must have using the same alphabet and language, with the very same inspiration for the analogy to be complete and accurate...

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It means you just post other people's work you happen to like with little novel thought. All of us could fill this forum up with articles that interest us or support our positions if we wanted.

Yes, I had assumed it was a slam.