Darwin on Unlimited Variation

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was criticized here recently for saying that Darwin believed that all life had descended from a single form.

"Analogy would lead me one step further, namely, to the belief that all animals and plants have descended from some one prototype. But analogy may be a deceitful guide. Nevertheless all living things have much in common, in their chemical composition, their germinal vesicles, their cellular structure, and their laws of growth and reproduction. We see this even in so trifling a circumstance as that the same poison often similarly affects plants and animals; or that the poison secreted by the gall-fly produces monstrous growths on the wild rose or oak-tree. Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed."

SUTG

If only Darwin would have lived long enough to see your Cell Trends Too thread...:chuckle:

Skeptic

"Analogy would lead me one step further, namely, to the belief that all animals and plants have descended from some one prototype. But analogy may be a deceitful guide. Nevertheless all living things have much in common, in their chemical composition, their germinal vesicles, their cellular structure, and their laws of growth and reproduction. We see this even in so trifling a circumstance as that the same poison often similarly affects plants and animals; or that the poison secreted by the gall-fly produces monstrous growths on the wild rose or oak-tree. Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed."

Makes sense to me. :thumb:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What does "unlimited variation" has to do with this quote?Evo

The discussion started with my statement that variation has limits, as opposed to Darwin's concept of unlimited variation.

It was pointed out that Darwin never mentioned "unlimited variation", which is true, but he did express his belief that all lifeforms have descended from a single primitive prototype, which considering the millions of species extant and extinct in the world is for all practical purposes "unlimited variation".

Perhaps I should have used more precise terminology to avoid confusion, but for crying out loud, this is a discussion forum not a technical journal. If that is all people have to criticize me for, I would say, considering all the critics here trying to "nail me", that I am doing very well indeed.

SUTG

The discussion started with my statement that variation has limits, as opposed to Darwin's concept of unlimited variation.

It was pointed out that Darwin never mentioned "unlimited variation", which is true, but he did express his belief that all lifeforms have descended from a single primitive prototype, which considering the millions of species extant and extinct in the world is for all practical purposes "unlimited variation".

Perhaps I should have used more precise terminology to avoid confusion, but for crying out loud, this is a discussion forum not a technical journal. If that is all people have to criticize me for, I would say, considering all the critics here trying to "nail me", that I am doing very well indeed.

Darwin would agree that variation has limits. Just because all organisms share common ancestry, it does not follow that variation is unlimited, or even close to being unlimited. There are alot of constraints upon variation.

Andre1983

Remember that Darwin had to believe in a connection between species, he had no proper evidence of the calibre we've got today.

And a single primitive prototype only indicate that he may have believed that everything have decended from a single species of single celled organisms-- not necessarily one single cell...

But then again, Darwin is long dead -- and we've (all of us, atheists, scientists, christians, creationists, evolutionists and whoever) have only just begun converting and warping everything he said to fit our respective bills.

Given time, Darwin will either have his own chapter in the bible or be quoted for saying "everything has decended from a single individual protocell".

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When criticized for something I have said I frequently reply with an explanation.

That is why I explained how the "unlimited variation" thing came about. If that terminology misled, I am sorry, but the opposite of limits is unlimited.

I didn't mean to imply that cows so big they could jump over the moon was a possibility. ;)