ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. State your supporting rationale for asking such a question or formulate the question in a standard theological/doctrinal manner. No silly word games. Get on with it.

Better yet, see here.
I searched for your answer on a question I had asked before, and I received answers from Lonster and I think Nang already answered as well. I'm specifically interested in your answer.

God can sit in front of you at the kitchen table, and with exhaustive foreknowledge can tell you what you are about to do. If you have the will and the ability to do other than what He tells you you are about to do, then a contradiction would exist. Do you see the contradiction?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This new thread isn't three months old yet and it is already over fifteen hundred posts long precisely because people will not stick to the subject of the thread (I know I'm just as guilty as anyone but fifty wrongs don't make a right). If you want me to directly address specific doctrines of Calvinism I would say that amounts to a significant departure from the topic of this thread.
The bulk of the posts in this thread have been related to the differences between orthodox theism and open theism. From what I can see, there are 3-6 persons representing classical theism and the remainder are open theists participating in this thread. I do not think that the doctrine related posts to date have been off topic. I believe there have been several posts about immutability in this thread already (some by me). Surely impassibility is not unrelated to immutability.

I guess I am confused as to the exact nature of this thread. If it is intended for just open theists to discuss their system of beliefs, just let me know. Am happy to comply and butt out.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I searched for your answer on a question I had asked before, and I received answers from Lonster and I think Nang already answered as well. I'm specifically interested in your answer.

God can sit in front of you at the kitchen table, and with exhaustive foreknowledge can tell you what you are about to do. If you have the will and the ability to do other than what He tells you you are about to do, then a contradiction would exist. Do you see the contradiction?
I must not have been clear before. I said state your doctrinal/theological point and no word games. So if you see a contradiction or whatever, then state what you see or whatever. I will gladly respond. But before you do, please see a discussion on a related topic here. Feel free to incorporate the point made at this link into whatever you are trying to demonstrate with these silly questions.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Delmar was joking, then make him remove the "private" year-long threat.

For you see, I am not so "retarded" that I find warning threats to be funny.

Nang
I think the warning was real. The "joking" and smilie related to Knight's usual sad attempts at being clever to curry favor with the hoi polloi.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If Delmar was joking, then make him remove the "private" year-long threat.

For you see, I am not so "retarded" that I find warning threats to be funny.

Nang
I was joking!!!

Not Delmar.

I WAS JOKING!!!!!

When I said... "Therefore you should thank Delmar for sparing your life. :) "

Why do I even bother? :sigh:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I was joking!!!

Not Delmar.

I WAS JOKING!!!!!

When I said... "Therefore you should thank Delmar for sparing your life. :) "

Why do I even bother? :sigh:

All joking aside, Knight, if you do not demand Delmar remove his threats against me, I will hold you personally responsible for the unreasonable and wicked tactics used against those who oppose your OT views.

Nang

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
All joking aside, Knight, if you do not demand Delmar remove his threats against me, I will hold you personally responsible for the unreasonable and wicked tactics used against those who oppose your OT views.

Nang
All joking aside... you are a unnecessary distraction. :wave2:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Nang

You must be a goofball, why not drop it! Just forget about it. All you are doing is making the thread hard to follow.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK .. I have a point to retell, hopefully clearly, but before that I have to get some housekeeping out of the way ...

:mock: nang

I asked AMR if he trusted God because what other reason could you have to trust God other than if you thought God had a choice in what he did in the future.

I think Lighthouse, or someone, made a similar point. I am genuinely interested in how that question could be answered if one believed God could never change.

Thanks for responding helpfully, Clete.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have been trying to follow this thread. I do know something about the debate, but I am not sure where I fit in? I know that AMR and I have some commonalities, but we have differences. The Methodist church as more Armenian than I am, but I have never agreed with the Calvin Presbyterianism ether. I think my lost spot evolves around my own priority on the Anglican Church.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have been trying to follow this thread. I do know something about the debate, but I am not sure where I fit in? I know that AMR and I have some commonalities, but we have differences. The Methodist church as more Armenian than I am, but I have never agreed with the Calvin Presbyterianism ether. I think my lost spot evolves around my own priority on the Anglican Church.
Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian all affirm the atemporality and orthodox definitions of omnipotence, and omniscience.

I guess you will have to look over the following and determine which resonate or do not with you:

Open Theism Tenets
1. God is vulnerable, open to the failure of at least some of His intentions
2. God is not immutable as traditionally understood, i.e., He changes His mind in ways that are more relational
3. God is sometimes mistaken in His beliefs about what will happen
4. God is not omnipotent as traditionally understood; His efforts are sometimes defeated
5. The attributes of God must be redefined with Love at the center

"1. God not only created the world ex nihilo but can (and at times does) intervene unilaterally in earthly affairs.
2. God chose to create us with incompatibilistic (libertarian) freedom—freedom over which He cannot exercise total control.
3. God so values freedom—the moral integrity of free creatures and a world in which such integrity is possible—that He does not normally override such freedom, even if He sees that it is producing undesirable results.
4. God always desires the highest good, both individually and corporately, and thus is affected by what happens in our lives.
5. God does not possess exhaustive foreknowledge of exactly how we will utilize our freedom, although He may at times be able to predict with great accuracy the choices we will freely make." (Src: David Basinger in Pinnock’s The Openness of God)

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Open Theism Tenets
1. God is vulnerable, open to the failure of at least some of His intentions

When people repent of doing evil that is not failure for God or the repentant.

2. God is not immutable as traditionally understood, i.e., He changes His mind in ways that are more relational
Correct.

3. God is sometimes mistaken in His beliefs about what will happen
When people repent of doing evil any mistake is irrelevant.

4. God is not omnipotent as traditionally understood; His efforts are sometimes defeated
Defeated is a strong word. God changed his mind so you might say he defeated himself.

5. The attributes of God must be redefined with Love at the center
Love is the greatest thing that exists.

"1. God not only created the world ex nihilo but can (and at times does) intervene unilaterally in earthly affairs.
Right.

2. God chose to create us with incompatibilistic (libertarian) freedom—freedom over which He cannot exercise total control.
Right.

3. God so values freedom—the moral integrity of free creatures and a world in which such integrity is possible—that He does not normally override such freedom, even if He sees that it is producing undesirable results.
Because he wants us to use that freedom to love.

4. God always desires the highest good, both individually and corporately, and thus is affected by what happens in our lives.
Right.

5. God does not possess exhaustive foreknowledge of exactly how we will utilize our freedom, although He may at times be able to predict with great accuracy the choices we will freely make." (Src: David Basinger in Pinnock’s The Openness of God)
Right.

Are those really OT tenets?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe God is sovereign. If he decides to condemn a person to hell, destroy a city or nation or take any action that might upset people then I believe he has that power and authority and right. I believe he is capable of listening to people and changing his mind based on request or supplication. I believe he is also capable of ignoring all demands and acting as he sees fit. I trust God because I think his decisions will always be good and right. Even if I don't like them much at the time. I find it contradictory in the extreme to claim trust in a god who already knows exactly what is going to happen in every situation. I don't like the thought of a God who knew what we would do and created us anyway. The idea that he knew some would, or he created some, to accept him does not justify (in my mind) the damnation of all the rest.

Naturally that I don't like it is not proof that God is not soverignly acting in exactly this manner, but I will not express faith or trust in such a being. I find it unpalatable to hear that others do.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I believe God is sovereign. If he decides to condemn a person to hell, destroy a city or nation or take any action that might upset people then I believe he has that power and authority and right. I believe he is capable of listening to people and changing his mind based on request or supplication. I believe he is also capable of ignoring all demands and acting as he sees fit. I trust God because I think his decisions will always be good and right. Even if I don't like them much at the time. I find it contradictory in the extreme to claim trust in a god who already knows exactly what is going to happen in every situation. I don't like the thought of a God who knew what we would do and created us anyway. The idea that he knew some would, or he created some, to accept him does not justify (in my mind) the damnation of all the rest.

Naturally that I don't like it is not proof that God is not soverignly acting in exactly this manner, but I will not express faith or trust in such a being. I find it unpalatable to hear that others do.

I love that fact that you used the word "justify" in your comments but the parenthetical "(in my mind)" was unnecessary. Justice is the whole point and it just so happens that justice is not a matter of personal opinion. Justice is a concept with a very specific meaning and God has created us with an innate/intuitive understanding of what justice is. Of course, our flesh is fallen and so we can suppress this knowledge of God and everyone actually does exactly that but the point is that the fact that you don't like the idea of an arbitrary God speaks well of you ability to think clearly as God intended.

The Calvinist error, in fact, has everything to do with the two issues you bring up, that of sovereignty (power/authority) and justice (i.e. righteousness). The Calvinist attempts to make these attributes of God equal and as a result diminishes God's righteousness, which the Bible teaches is the foundation of His authority. This clear differentiation of God's quantitative attributes from His qualitative attributes is perhaps the most important hermeneutical difference between the open and settled views.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love that fact that you used the word "justify" in your comments but the parenthetical "(in my mind)" was unnecessary. Justice is the whole point and it just so happens that justice is not a matter of personal opinion. Justice is a concept with a very specific meaning and God has created us with an innate/intuitive understanding of what justice is. Of course, our flesh is fallen and so we can suppress this knowledge of God and everyone actually does exactly that but the point is that the fact that you don't like the idea of an arbitrary God speaks well of you ability to think clearly as God intended.
My ability to think clearly is largely thanks to people like you on this site being concerned enough about the small and important things. RE the parentheses - I should just go with what I believe and stop justifying my use of the word justify.

The Calvinist error, in fact, has everything to do with the two issues you bring up, that of sovereignty (power/authority) and justice (i.e. righteousness). The Calvinist attempts to make these attributes of God equal and as a result diminishes God's righteousness, which the Bible teaches is the foundation of His authority. This clear differentiation of God's quantitative attributes from His qualitative attributes is perhaps the most important hermeneutical difference between the open and settled views.Resting in Him,Clete
Absolutely. And also love. If love were diminished then God would be utterly justified in leaving us to our fate. God must have priorities when it comes to his treatment of us or we'd be space junk...

Status
Not open for further replies.