ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
How would I know whether you ate watermelon today, or not?

And what does it matter whether I know if you ate watermelon today, or not?

You either did, or you did not, but if you did, God gave you the watermelon to eat.

Praise God for the watermelon that Delmar ate (or did not eat)!

Nang

Did God give me a cold or constipation too? Did He personally give me my direct deposit pay check? Just because He gives us life does not mean He lives our lives as if we are sock puppets.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do, of coarse, believe that God created watermelon, but some people do not eat watermelon. Did God foreordain that I would eat watermelon today?

Why not? His purpose was for you to eat it then post this question, exposing your misunderstandings and possibly leading others (maybe lurkers?) to think harder about what they have staked their eternal souls upon? Every action we take is a potential witness, good or bad, to others. Do you deny it? Your purport some autonomy you have not been granted. I am have more freedom in my home than my son. Do you somehow think you have more freedom than God in His creation?

If you believe that out of tragedy God, and only God, can bring good, then why stop there? I gain great comfort knowing that God is directing His creation to bring about His glory and our eternal happiness. Do you not think that for every thing there is a purpose in God's creation?

Lon

If you believe that out of tragedy God, and only God, can bring good, then why stop there? I gain great comfort knowing that God is directing His creation to bring about His glory and our eternal happiness. Do you not think that for every thing there is a purpose in God's creation?

Beautiful restatement of Ecclesiastes.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why not? His purpose was for you to eat it then post this question,
Nang said "God does not dictate to you what to wear or eat, that is your choice" and I am simply trying to get a straight answer out of her. Did I choose
to eat watermelon last night, or did God foreordain it?
exposing your misunderstandings and possibly leading others (maybe lurkers?) to think harder about what they have staked their eternal souls upon? Every action we take is a potential witness, good or bad, to others. Do you deny it? Your purport some autonomy you have not been granted. I am have more freedom in my home than my son. Do you somehow think you have more freedom than God in His creation?
I do believe God granted the ability to choose what I want to eat for a particular meal.
God does not do evil that good may come of it! I do no believe that it is God's purpose for children to be molested, or for women to be raped. I do believe when these unspeakable things happen to a person God can teach them how to use it for good!

Last edited:

Philetus

You 'edited' that?

Yep, I got butter. What'd ya do? Misspelled word? Butter on the keyboard? Add the 'never mind?'

Actually, after posting the first question “got butter” in reaction to your popcorn ....
I went back and added the second comment “Never mind” after reading on and FINDING your butter.

Honestly, I've never seen more nit-picking and avoidance of the issues and low blows and cheep shots as are going on in this thread. I can't decide if it’s just fun or a complete farce.

:box:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yeper! Makes you wish you could talk about Open Theism; DON'T IT.

At this point I would be happy with someone who was interested in having an actual two way conversation about just about anything. I've never been so tired of repeating myself in my life and these guys just do it as a matter of course and think their making great points! :bang:

It seems I must continue my quest to find an intellectually honest Calvinist. I'm really beginning to think that they do not exist. So far, the closest we ever came to having one here on TOL was back when Jim Hilston was posting. He turned out to be a class A jerk and denied being a Calvinist but at least he would directly respond to the substance of the arguments. Dr. Lamerson was intellectually honest as far as I can tell, although I'm not sure we can count him since he was only here for the Battle Royal.

I wonder how it makes the Calvinists feel when they realize that they cannot stand up under the arguments against their theology without distorting their opposition's position and telling blatant lies?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why keep up the argument of Calvinist-or-not? Just use Settled View and get on with it.

I think there was a responsive SV'er over at Boyd's forums who went by the handle Mephi2K or some such.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Why keep up the argument of Calvinist-or-not? Just use Settled View and get on with it.

I think there was a responsive SV'er over at Boyd's forums who went by the handle Mephi2K or some such.

Sounds good to me! Get the guy over here!

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It seems I must continue my quest to find an intellectually honest Calvinist. I'm really beginning to think that they do not exist. So far, the closest we ever came to having one here on TOL was back when Jim Hilston was posting. He turned out to be a class A jerk and denied being a Calvinist but at least he would directly respond to the substance of the arguments.

What substantial arguments do you refer?

I see you hysterically blasting Calvinism a whole lot more than calmly providing a reasonable OT body of thought.

I wonder how it makes the Calvinists feel when they realize that they cannot stand up under the arguments against their theology without distorting their opposition's position and telling blatant lies?

So you admit your arguments are simply attacks against Calvinist theology. And how can your position be distorted when it is not properly presented?

(IMO, AMR has stood up for Calvinism quite well, but you are so hostile, you have blinded yourself to any appreciation of this historical and systematic theology.)

What is your reply, when I ask the OVT'ers view of Justification? (Silence) Why? Is that not a good subject to discuss? Would not such a question give you opportunity to present the OT view regarding the gospel of Jesus Christ?

If you answer like a couple of others, who think that soteriology is not important or worthy of their time, or write the question off by saying OVT soteriorology is simply the same as Arminian, why do you claim you are not Arminian?

Don't you want to clear these things up with some substantial input? (Rather than playing around with your formulated, manipulative, and trick questions!)

IOW's, to receive substantial answers of integrity, you must show integrity and present some substantial discussion. You know the saying, "garbage in, garbage out."

Nang

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
What substantial arguments do you refer?

I see you hysterically blasting Calvinism a whole lot more than calmly providing a reasonable OT body of thought.
You're either stupid or can't read, either way, please leave and stop wasting our time.

So you admit your arguments are simply attacks against Calvinist theology. And how can your position be distorted when it is not properly presented?
My arguments are both rational and easy enough for my 7 year old daughter to understand in most cases. As I said, you are either stupid or cannot read.

(IMO, AMR has stood up for Calvinism quite well, but you are so hostile, you have blinded yourself to any appreciation of this historical and systematic theology.)
You are not only stupid but a liar.

AMR does nothing but repeat himself. He makes arguments from time to time but when those arguments are directly addressed and refuted he will not offer any rejoinder whatsoever. All he ever does and all it seems he is willing to do is repeat his original argument and/or accusations as though they were never responded too and then, I'm sure will take my refusal to repeat myself as proof that he's won the debate and you will follow right along behind him like the weak minded puppy dog that you are.

What is your reply, when I ask the OVT'ers view of Justification? (Silence) Why? Is that not a good subject to discuss?
It's a perfectly good subject to discuss but you've already proven that you aren't here to discuss anything so why should I waste my time with it?

Would not such a question give you opportunity to present the OT view regarding the gospel of Jesus Christ?
I have offered the Biblical view of the gospel many times. Please learn to read or find another hobby.

If you answer like a couple of others, who think that soteriology is not important or worthy of their time, or write the question off by saying OVT soteriorology is simply the same as Arminian, why do you claim you are not Arminian?
The subject is definitely worth the time, you however are not.

Don't you want to clear these things up with some substantial input? (Rather than playing around with your formulated, manipulative, and trick questions!)
Trick questions? Hypocrite! This question you just asked is a manipulative trick question!

This also is an excellent example of one of many accusations that are thrown around by you and others like you which are never substantiated. The accusation is thrown out there without anything to back it up and then when defended against, the defense is never addressed. The accusation is simply repeated.

IOW's, to receive substantial answers of integrity, you must show integrity and present some substantial discussion. You know the saying, "garbage in, garbage out."
I've been on this website a fair bit longer than you have Nang. You showed up here with the specific intent of throwing garbage in my specific direction. If you want to repent of that ridiculous behavior and apologize for it, I am quite quick to forgive and perhaps then we could have a substantive discussion, but until then you can expect to be treated in with the respect that you have earned.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If you want to repent of that ridiculous behavior and apologize for it, I am quite quick to forgive and perhaps then we could have a substantive discussion, but until then you can expect to be treated in with the respect that you have earned.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I repent from treating you as you treat others, and am sorry I made you angry, like you made us angry.

Will you forgive me and discuss Justification with me?

Nang

Lon

Actually, after posting the first question “got butter” in reaction to your popcorn ....
I went back and added the second comment “Never mind” after reading on and FINDING your butter.

Honestly, I've never seen more nit-picking and avoidance of the issues and low blows and cheep shots as are going on in this thread. I can't decide if it’s just fun or a complete farce.

:box:

I understood, the levity is appreciated. It was benign in approach to the topic and unilateral for appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.