ARCHIVE: Need some expert eyes here

Skeptic

ApologeticJedi said:
That life can come from non-life is a very unsupportable theory.
It's not a theory, but a hypothesis. Evidence is slowly growing in support of the hypothesis.

Why should we believe it anymore than believing aliens left life here?
That just postpones the question: Where did the first life in the universe come from?

If the first life forms in the universe came from non-life, then it seems more likely that it could have come from non-life on several occasions, rather than just once. Since the conditions across the universe appear homogeneous, there is no reason to suspect that an alleged natural process (life from non-life) could not happen more than once. Given the multitude of chance factors that would be involved if aliens had deposited the first life forms on Earth, I think it is more probable that life on Earth first came from non-life via natural processes..

Statistically, it is impossible.
Based upon what evidence?

How can you be certain that scientists will not someday discover how life can naturally come from non-life? Doesn't the possibility of such a discovery remain? How can you be certain that such a scientific discovery could not happen within the next few thousand years?

red77

zoo22 said:
Although it is absurd, the banana video is meant to be serious. It's not a joke. It's from a pro-creationist video by Kirk Cameron. And btw, it wasn't only illogical, it was outright wrong; deceptive (or uninformed) as to the history of banana as we know it.

IMO, the peanut butter jar "experiment" idea is silly enough that it's not even worth discussing, although for the sake of science, I'm giving it my very best shot.

Frankly, I'm exhausted from it, it's wearing me down ... And in all honesty, the best I've been able to come up with is a serious appetite for peanut butter.

I've eaten at least 20 PB sandwiches since the inception of this thread, no kidding. This is no joke. I have peanut butter on my mind a good part of every waking day. I may go have one right now as a matter of fact. I've eaten it on English muffins, on whole grain bread, on potato bread (good, btw), on white bread, with honey, bananas, with jellies, jams... For the past two days I've been eating it with apricot jam, which is pretty good. Not overly sweet, unless you use too much.

I've learned a lot.

As far as it being an "experiment" to disprove evolution, I think most would agree it's silly.

But we might as well have some fun and enjoy life, have a good laugh, enjoy something as simple and wonderful as a peanut butter. For that, I thank Missler.

He's brought some joy to my life, and put a smile on my face.

A smile smeared with peanut butter.

Hmm, this is probably completely irrelevant to the subject at hand but such an experiment would be an impossibility for me to attempt, I cant STAND peanut butter, what intrigues me (and probably nobody else) is why I cant stand it, I dont have a nut allergy, its supposed to be fairly nutritional so why is it that its such an abhorrence? Does my pallette have to evolve to appreciate the nutty delight that many others can seemingly bask in, or am I just nuts? :think: