Is the Tree of Life idea now dead?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I misread the title and thought it asked "Is the Tree of Life dead?"...

Given the creationist view that there was a global deluge, it is reasonable to conclude that it, along with the Tree of Knowlege, was drowned when Eden was submerged... :chuckle:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pattern pluralism and the Tree of Life hypothesis
W. Ford Doolittle and Eric Bapteste
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Early Edition 29 Jan 2007 | doi 10.1073/pnas.0610699104

Abstract: Darwin claimed that a unique inclusively hierarchical pattern of relationships between all organisms based on their similarities and differences [the Tree of Life (TOL)] was a fact of nature, for which evolution, and in particular a branching process of descent with modification, was the explanation. However, there is no independent evidence that the natural order is an inclusive hierarchy, and incorporation of prokaryotes into the TOL is especially problematic. The only data sets from which we might construct a universal hierarchy including prokaryotes, the sequences of genes, often disagree and can seldom be proven to agree. Hierarchical structure can always be imposed on or extracted from such data sets by algorithms designed to do so, but at its base the universal TOL rests on an unproven assumption about pattern that, given what we know about process, is unlikely to be broadly true. This is not to say that similarities and differences between organisms are not to be accounted for by evolutionary mechanisms, but descent with modification is only one of these mechanisms, and a single tree-like pattern is not the necessary (or expected) result of their collective operation. Pattern pluralism (the recognition that different evolutionary models and representations of relationships will be appropriate, and true, for different taxa or at different scales or for different purposes) is an attractive alternative to the quixotic pursuit of a single true TOL.

Dr Wilhelm

BANNED
Banned
Mystics explain it all

Mystics explain it all

The Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life, were both in the Garden of Eden. This was the earthly paradise given to Adam and Eve.

Once they sinned, they were evicted from this paradise and it was then removed from the earth, according to mystics deemed completely reliable. This paradise still exists, but is not inhabited.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Dr Wilhelm said:
...according to mystics deemed completely reliable.
Deemed completely reliable by whom?

Also: these mystics, do any of them have names, by any chance?

writer

re 1

re 1

No.
He resurrected.
"I'm the Vine."
"I'm the Life."
"I'm the Resurrection and the Life"
(Jn 11; 14; 15)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Quasar1011 said:
The tree of life still exists today. It's in Paradise.
Too bad somebody can't stroll in with a cell phone camera and broadcast out a picture of the thing... :chuckle:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quasar1011 said:
The tree of life still exists today. It's in Paradise.

And Jesus verified that Paradise still exists by telling the thief on the cross, "Today you will be with me in Paradise".