The Universe is Made Out of ... Fudge.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Universe Is Made Out of... Fudge! 06/07/2006 According to the July issue of Astronomy, the Universe is comprised mostly of fudge – or at least fudge factors, anyway. The article by James Trefil from George Mason University describes the current thinking among astrophysicists as to the eventual fate of the universe.
---------------------
The rest of this article at: http://creationsafaris.com/crev200606.htm#20060607a

sums up current astrophysical knowledge/problems very nicely. Note that Trefil is fairly famous for his science series on PBS.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Agreed. Take the value of pi, for instance. The Bible says it is equal to 3.

Shouldn't that settle it?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gerald said:
Agreed. Take the value of pi, for instance. The Bible says it is equal to 3.

Shouldn't that settle it?

Another fable from the archives of pagans. If you really believe this fable to be true why not start a separate thread devoted to your belief (and we will see what the situation actually was)?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
So, the value of pi is not a fudge factor?

An endless string of non-repeating digits seems awfully "fudgy" to me...

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gerald said:
So, the value of pi is not a fudge factor?

An endless string of non-repeating digits seems awfully "fudgy" to me...

OK. I will start the "pi" thread myself since you apparently wish to cover up your blunder in referring to a long outdated "contradiction".

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Well, what sort of discussion were you looking for when you started this thread?

For me it was either crack jokes or say "Interesting article. Now, why am I supposed to care?"

That scientists don't have definitive answers to ultimate questions isn't exactly breaking news...

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gerald said:
That scientists don't have definitive answers to ultimate questions isn't exactly breaking news...

I agree. Then why do some think that science refutes scripture?

Skeptic

bob b said:
I agree. Then why do some think that science refutes scripture?
Because there is strong evidence that things didn't happen the way the Bible said they happened.

Skeptic

I would rather have answers that are not definite than have definitive answers that are unsupported by evidence.

I'm not alone.

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong."

-- Richard Feynman, physicist

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Skeptic said:
Because there is strong evidence that things didn't happen the way the Bible said they happened.

"Strong, undefinitive evidence" is an oxymoron. It's one group of presuppositions against another.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Skeptic said:

How can you say that after all the evidence I have presented that scripture is always right when properly understood?

Do you also believe scripture was wrong about pi? ;)

Skeptic

bob b said:
How can you say that after all the evidence I have presented that scripture is always right when properly understood?
When properly understood, it is a collection of fairy tales and superstitions for which there is no evidence.

Do you also believe scripture was wrong about pi?
An answer of 3 is not wrong, it's just not as accurate as 3.14. It's impossible to give a full description of pi.