ARCHIVE: Free From Sin - 1 John

elohiym

godrulz said:
Sounds like your views are similar.
Assuming that E4E believes what Sozo believes, our views are similar with the distinction that I don't believe a person with a converted heart will do things like murder, steal, commit adultery.

My impression is that they believe a converted person can still do those things. That at least has been my impass with Sozo, but he has acknowledged previously that I make some good points, so I pray that we will see eye-to-eye on this sometime in the future.

Sozo, E4E, and Lighthouse are absolutely correct when they say a believer no longer sins, but I believe they have confused positional righteousness with experiential righteousness. I see them as believing in positional rightiousness, or a subtle form of it. I believe in experiential righteousness by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Anyway, they can speak for themselves. It's just my perception.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I agree that positional righteousness should be evidenced in experiential righteousness. It is frustrating when they imply that one can be a dirty rotten sinner in an act and still be righteous in those acts? This is contradictory and contrary to reality.

The Bible has examples of godly believers who gave into temptation. Church history also has many examples of this. Why is it not possible for a godly leader for decades to give into a lustful woman? It is simplisitic to say that a true believer would never do that. Christian leaders, singers, biblical giants, etc. did that very thing without negating the validity of their walk with God before the impulsive moment. Many are restored to right standing. If one of your godly children ever fornicates, are you going to automatically state that they must never have been a believer? This is not defensible anecdotally nor biblically.

There is a difference between would not, should not, and could not (the latter would only be true if we were sock puppet robots).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
No. There is perfect light in heaven. We will be glorified and see and know Him as He is. What does this have to do with our earthly experience, especially as a new believer who may still mess their diapers without being killed by God the Father?

There is some academic debate about why we will not sin in heaven. Some Open Theists have speculated as to what this will be like. Scripture is silent on this aspect of heaven. What we do know is that our temporal experience still involves temptation, living in a fallen world, a body with desires that seek to pull us out of our walk with the Spirit, etc.

There will not be sin in heaven. This does not change the evidence that believers are not immune to sin, sickness, struggle, and death in this life (though we DO NOT HAVE TO SIN..it is a stupid choice if we do sin that will be challenged by the HOLY Spirit).
We will not sin in heaven because that which desires to act against God will not be in heaven.:duh:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
I am saying that the action of adultery is not righteous, whether committed by a believer or an unbeliever. I am not saying that our actions determine our righteousness or destiny. Faith vs unbelief determines our destiny. The Bible links holiness with obedience. Why do you insist on divorcing personal responsibility from the work of the indwelling Spirit (it is both/and, not either/or)? Are you arguing that sinful actions are righteous just because we said a sinner's prayer?

Salvation is being in Him, not perfection of good works or self-righteousness. This does not mean that we are not to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ subsequent to conversion. It does not mean that the fruit of the Spirit is instantaneous with no process or that deeds of the flesh cannot happen in a believer's life (lying is a sin; Paul challenged believers to quit lying or sinning in their anger or immorality).

See Romans 6; 2 Cor. 7:2; I Peter 1:13-16; 2 Peter 1:3-11, etc.
That which is righteous is incapable of committing unrighteousness. Therefore, that which commits unrighteousness is not righteous. What God has made righteous remains righteous, and therefore cannot commit unrighteousness. That which does was not made righteous by Christ. So, which part of yourself do you identify as?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Untellectual said:
Are you saying that even Christians have not the requirement of the Law fulfilled... because only Christ does? It's a trick question. I'm giving you a hint. The answer is in Romans. And elsewhere. And Matthew. Christ indeed fulfilled all righteousness. But, back to Romans... what of those who walk according to the flesh?

Shalom,

Jacob
Christ fullfilled the law, because we can't. But, since He did it, we don't have to. He did it for us. And those who walk according to the flesh are not in Christ.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Untellectual said:
Romans 6:2 "How shall we who died to sin still live in it?" NASU

1 John 2:29 "If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him." NASU

1 John 3:6-10 "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother." NASU

Sobering for me. I don't completely get it yet... but to not have sin and to not sin must be different things.

1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." NASU
1 John 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." NASU

1 John 2:3-4 "The one who says, 'I have come to know Him,' and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;" NASU

1 John 4:18-20 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. If someone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen." NASU

John 8:42-47 "Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. You are ofyour father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.' " NASU

perhaps becoming a lone ranger may be a step to overcome with 7,000 others. following the crowd doesn't seem to work.

Shalom,

Jacob
Who are you agreeing with?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
something that we shouldn't miss

something that we shouldn't miss

Lighthouse said:
Who are you agreeing with?
My words are not intended as agreeing with anyone. I didn't mean to imply that I was. But, there is something that we shouldn't miss, still. I'm sure of it...

Shalom,

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
fulfill

fulfill

Lighthouse said:
Christ fullfilled the law, because we can't. But, since He did it, we don't have to. He did it for us. And those who walk according to the flesh are not in Christ.
Where do you get that Christ fulfilled the law, because we can't?

(I mean this to say that I know that Christ fulfilled all righteousness... but there may be something different in what you are saying.)

Why do you say that He fulfilled the law, because we can't?

Shalom,

Jacob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
That which is righteous is incapable of committing unrighteousness. Therefore, that which commits unrighteousness is not righteous. What God has made righteous remains righteous, and therefore cannot commit unrighteousness. That which does was not made righteous by Christ. So, which part of yourself do you identify as?

Any given thought, motive, deed, or act is vice or virtue, righteous or unrighteous. You are talking globally (forest) and I am talking locally (trees). We are righteous in Christ, but that does not make adultery neutral or righteous. By definition, it is an unrighteous sin, regardless of who does it or what dispensation it is done in. The will, not a positional standing, determines the nature of any one choice in one brief moment of time.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:

Paul said a believer can yield to the spirit or the flesh. Those who continuously walk in the flesh are not in Christ. If those in Christ commit a fleshly act/lapse, they are in the flesh in that one act and need to return to spirit submission.

Has a Christian ever been jealous or had a fit of rage (I have). This is in the list of the acts of the flesh (Gal. 5 vs fruit of Spirit).

Romans 6:13 (to believers) "Do not (command) offer the parts of your body (same word as flesh) to SIN (talking to believers)...v. 12 (imperative) Do not let sin reign in your mortal body/flesh so that you (believers) obey its evil desires...

This is not your view of sinless perfectionism.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
to be free indeed

to be free indeed

godrulz said:
Paul said a believer can yield to the spirit or the flesh. Those who continuously walk in the flesh are not in Christ. If those in Christ commit a fleshly act/lapse, they are in the flesh in that one act and need to return to spirit submission.

Has a Christian ever been jealous or had a fit of rage (I have). This is in the list of the acts of the flesh (Gal. 5 vs fruit of Spirit).

Romans 6:13 (to believers) "Do not (command) offer the parts of your body (same word as flesh) to SIN (talking to believers)...v. 12 (imperative) Do not let sin reign in your mortal body/flesh so that you (believers) obey its evil desires...

This is not your view of sinless perfectionism.
I don't know who you are talking to about sinless perfection... lighthouse or me? He responded to what I said. what about what I said then?? how is the requirement of the law fulfilled in you? not by those who walk according to the flesh. that's a good start for an answer as I see it. i'm still trying to figure this out myself. yes, the things I don't and the things I do. When does Christ set me free? see? that's the subject of this thread so that is why I say that there is something here that we shouldn't miss.

Shalom,

Jacob

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
sanctification

sanctification

godrulz said:
LH and sozo have a sinless perfectionism view that is not in step with traditional views about sanctification.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/falseviews-sanctification.html

This is from a quick google as an example of some concerns with these views. I did not read nor would likely agree with everything on this link.

CRI:

http://www.equip.org/free/CP0609.pdf
godrulz,

k.

sanctification. so many views.

traditional views by large have worked into the conscience as psychology or intellect

Important to get it right and not feed off of falsehood.

there is a "sanctification" without which no one will see the Lord. etc.

yeah, i'm not really knowing about these other guys and their views. a little out of step with the thread, you are probably right. still, some arguing may not have been testing against God's word. The point I see is that somehow we become free and sin is not the key to that. Accepting sin is not the key to being free. To be under the Law means that you are not fulfilling it, right?

Shalom,

Jacob

Ecumenicist

elohiym said:
Dave,

What you are saying doesn't make sense. If Jesus makes you perfect, then you are perfect, otherwise Jesus isn't very effective. If he is in the process of perfecting you, then logically you will at some point be perfect, and can state you are perfect.

My feeling is that you are thinking of flesh perfection, but your flesh will never be perfect as long as it is mortal. Mortally of the flesh is evidence of sin, death being the wages of it. Take your eyes off the flesh, and know that in Christ, your spirit is perfect. If you walk in that spirit, you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh and can't stumble (as I proved in my last post).

Here is what the Bible states:

Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God. Deuteronomy 18:13

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:48

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Hebrews 10:14

Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:11

Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Philippians 3:15

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:17

We don't attain perfection; we are made perfect. It's a transformation entirely based on love. If you are falling short of the mark, it may mean that you don't understand salvation yet. Pray about that.

Quote scripture all you want, to deny our sinful nature is to deny reality. Even in salvation
Paul said that even though he wants to do the right thing, his flesh directs him to the
wrong things. And Paul knew Christ personally. If anyone was saved, Paul was.

How do we resolve this, "sinless yet sinful" conflict? By being Sozophrenic? No,
because history (and Sozo) reveals the absolute horror that can arise from accepting
this stance.

I suggest that an understanding which includes "perpetual healing" can resolve this,
in a way that is both humble and liberating.

elohiym

Dave Miller said:
Quote scripture all you want, to deny our sinful nature is to deny reality.
What you are implying is that YOU deny scripture because it is evident to YOU that YOU have a sinful nature. To say "our sinful nature" is to include me in your statment, but you don't know me. So please speak for yourself.

My renewed spirit is from God, and His spirit IS sinless. My old man (the sinner) is dead. I am a new creation.

Jesus was speaking to men like you when he said: "Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth" John 9:41. That means you are blind to faith, and you are not blind to the letter of the law. You needs eyes of faith, and need to be blind to the letter of the law. We walk by faith (spiritual sight), not by sight (spiritual blindness).

Dave Miller said:
Even in salvation
Paul said that even though he wants to do the right thing, his flesh directs him to the
wrong things. And Paul knew Christ personally. If anyone was saved, Paul was.
Paul was a Jew, born and raised under the law. When he became unclean according to the ritual, ceremonial laws, he didn't want to be unclean, but he had no control over it. Haven't you noticed the difference between violations of the law due to being a human being (ie., Leviticus 15:16-18), and violations of the law which had no sacrifice, only the penalty of death (murder, adultery, etc.)? Paul was not saying he still murdered and commited adultery; he was referring to the ritual ceremonial laws that he could never keep due to his mortality.

Dave Miller said:
How do we resolve this, "sinless yet sinful" conflict? By being Sozophrenic? No,
because history (and Sozo) reveals the absolute horror that can arise from accepting
this stance.
You've apparently reduced the truth to a personality struggle between you and Sozo. Too bad. :(

In post #82 I offered a resolution.

Dave Miller said:
I suggest that an understanding which includes "perpetual healing" can resolve this,
in a way that is both humble and liberating.
Perpetual healing requires perpetual sickness. If you are truly healing, and God is the physician, you will eventually be healed (perfect). You seem to be denying that obvious conclusion because you are not yet healed. I strongly suggest that you stop implying that noone is healed just because you're not. It's an unreasonable position.

elected4ever

Romans 8:9 *But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 *¶And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 *But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

argue wit that idiots.

Spitfire

elected4ever said:
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
As with the most of the rest of the Bible, you can interpret that any way you want to. This particular part is one reason why Catholics say that the eucharist is so important. We are made more like Christ when we partake of him through the blessed sacrament, it causes God to dwell within us, fortifying us against further sin, until finally after much perserverence and with the help of God's grace our sinful, mortal nature becomes more and more supplanted by Christ's nature.

elected4ever

Spitfire said:
As with the most of the rest of the Bible, you can interpret that any way you want to. This particular part is one reason why Catholics say that the Eucharist is so important. We are made more like Christ when we partake of him through the blessed sacrament, it causes God to dwell within us, fortifying us against further sin, until finally after much perseverance and with the help of God's grace our sinful, mortal nature becomes more and more supplanted by Christ's nature.
That verse has absolutely nothing to do with the Eucharist. The Eucharist is a remembrance and not literal body and blood anyway. If you have believed Christ you are partakers of Christ. His body and His blood.

In your signature line I don't understand a word of it. So how can I say amen to it. Please write it in understandable English for my sake. Will you please.

Spitfire

I said it's one reason why, of course there are many others. Jesus' own declarations are far more telling of the importance of the eucharist but this is one of the implications thereof - that we need spiritual nourishment so that God will dwell within us uninterruptedly.

And you never complained about my other German signatures! Though I will change it if it really bothers you. So long as you know it is from the Bible you should be able to say "amen" to it, shouldn't you?