The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
Not especially. Besides, these were personal experiences, so it's not like you could investigate them anyway.
A common answer: "It is a personal experience I'd rather not discuss."

Based on your behavior in this thread and others, I find that somewhat hard to believe, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Suffice it to say, I've dabbled in the occult a little more than I should have.
I've dabbled in the occult, too; I used to run with a group of "paranormal investigators". I concluded it was all baloney. Immensely fun baloney, to be sure (I was very close friends with one of the investigators...;) ), but baloney all the same.

Perhaps you ran into something I missed...? Or that missed me...?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Zakath,

You answered NONE of my questions, as expected.

By "questions" you are indicating the string of rhetorical comments you launched my way? ;)

Let's see...
  • God is waiting for you to make the next move. He has forever....what about you?
  • You will admit, won't you, that you do not know everything there is to know about the universe?
  • Heck, you "don't know and don't care", right?
  • What is it about trying to become more Christ-like that you are affraid of?
  • What material things do you love more than yourself?

I answered the second one and the fourth one. Do you really want to discuss the others?

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Gerald
A common answer: "It is a personal experience I'd rather not discuss."

I'd be glad to discuss these experiences with someone that I thought would take me seriously. You wouldn't believe me anyway, so why should I waste my time? Give me one good reason to discuss them with you, Gerald.

I've dabbled in the occult, too; I used to run with a group of "paranormal investigators".

Playing 'ghostbuster' isn't really dabbling in the occult, Gerald. At best, it's just watching from a distance.

I concluded it was all baloney. Immensely fun baloney, to be sure (I was very close friends with one of the investigators...;) ), but baloney all the same.

Perhaps you ran into something I missed...? Or that missed me...?

I've already told you this sort of thing doesn't lend itself very well to investigation. You can't really expect to run into anything playing 'ghostbuster.'

Zakath

Resident Atheist
...I've dabbled in the occult, too; I used to run with a group of "paranormal investigators". I concluded it was all baloney. Immensely fun baloney, to be sure (I was very close friends with one of the investigators...;) ), but baloney all the same.

G,

"occult" "baloney"? That reminds me of an old joke about hiding a knockwurst... :crackup:

temple2006

There are no comparable changes that can be directly attributed to Jesus of Nazareth. While many of his followers have left their imprint on history, he himself left virtually no directly discernable trace.

Hi Zak...The world can be changed but it has to be one person at a time. I think Jesus made a good start but those after him sure screwed it up.:)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I'd be glad to discuss these experiences with someone that I thought would take me seriously. You wouldn't believe me anyway, so why should I waste my time? Give me one good reason to discuss them with you, Gerald.
Probably none, as I am just a benighted skeptic. You'd probably be better served by putting me on your "ignore" list.

That said, my attitude toward personal testimony of this kind is "If you believe it that's fine, I wasn't there, so I can't dispute it." Relate whatever details you wish; you'll get no derision from this quarter. Tales of the Deeply Weird, whether I believe them or not, make for fascinating reading. :)

You can't really expect to run into anything playing 'ghostbuster.'
Well, I did participate in a summoning ritual one mid-summer. Unfortunately, the only thing that deigned to show up was mosquitos...perhaps the stars weren't right, or something.

Freak

Playing 'ghostbuster' isn't really dabbling in the occult, Gerald. At best, it's just watching from a distance.

I've already told you this sort of thing doesn't lend itself very well to investigation. You can't really expect to run into anything playing 'ghostbuster.'

Excellent! Gerald claims this and that quite often.

I'm very interested in knowing about your experiences, One Eyed Jack.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Zakath

G,

"occult" "baloney"? That reminds me of an old joke about hiding a knockwurst... :crackup:
:shocked:

Zakath! I'm shocked, sir! Shocked and appalled!

I never, ever...er...kiss and tell, thankyouverymuch...:nono:

:D

One Eyed Jack

Probably none, as I am just a benighted skeptic. You'd probably be better served by putting me on your "ignore" list.

Nah, if I keep doing that to everybody, I'll soon end up with nobody to argue with. ;)

That said, my attitude toward personal testimony of this kind is "If you believe it that's fine, I wasn't there, so I can't dispute it." Relate whatever details you wish; you'll get no derision from this quarter. Tales of the Deeply Weird, whether I believe them or not, make for fascinating reading. :)

I agree.

Well, I did participate in a summoning ritual one mid-summer. Unfortunately, the only thing that deigned to show up was mosquitos...perhaps the stars weren't right, or something.

I dunno. But let me ask you something. What do you think about Multiple Personality Disorder?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I dunno. But let me ask you something. What do you think about Multiple Personality Disorder?
I think it is an organic brain problem.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Freak
Excellent! Gerald claims this and that quite often.

I'm very interested in knowing about your experiences, One Eyed Jack.
You just back off, friend.

I've been in situations where, if paranormal entities existed, I'd be:

a.) dead.

or

b.) possessed.

or

c.) in a sanitarium.

As I do not match any of the above options, I can only conclude that paranormal entities:

a.) do not have any deleterious effect on me.

or

b.) do not exist at all.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by temple 2000
Hi Zak...The world can be changed but it has to be one person at a time. I think Jesus made a good start but those after him sure screwed it up.:)

Amen to that.

Every generation has a few who really try to make things better...

One Eyed Jack

I think it is an organic brain problem.

Have you ever known anybody with this affliction? I mean somebody fairly close -- like someone in your girlfriend's family, or something like that?

Have you studied the subject much? Fascinating stuff.

One Eyed Jack

You just back off, friend.

I've been in situations where, if paranormal entities existed, I'd be:

a.) dead.

or

b.) possessed.

or

c.) in a sanitarium.

What sort of situations?

As I do not match any of the above options, I can only conclude that paranormal entities:

Why do you assume these were the only options?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Situations involving lots of shrieking, knives, mind-altering substances and animal sacrifice...

And, based on my experiences WRT the paranormal, those were the only conclusions I could draw.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Situations involving lots of shrieking, knives, mind-altering substances and animal sacrifice...

Sounds a bit like some of the parties I've been to...

And, based on my experiences WRT the paranormal, those were the only conclusions I could draw.

But you said that if paranormal entities existed, you'd have been killed, possessed, or driven insane. Why not a fourth possibility -- none of the above?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
But you said that if paranormal entities existed, you'd have been killed, possessed, or driven insane. Why not a fourth possibility -- none of the above?
Because when you double-dog dare people to attack you, it usually gets results. Double-dog daring invisible nasties, as far as I can tell, doesn't.

And if "None of the Above" is an option (which, I'll grant, is not impossible), how come I've been warned time and again not to "provoke" the spirits, as if doing so would result in disaster?

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Don't you think if G can get a rise out of the "mighty man of god" like the Freakster, he ought to be able to provoke a lil' ole demon... ;)

Freak

Gerald,

The more I found about you, the more I realize you really need deliverance in the name of Jesus.