ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
See this is what I dont get, there seems to be a ton of animosity here, people going back and forth over something that seems that it should be simple. Hate or dont hate. But all of you are christians right? But you all have different interpretations of the same book, if its all the same and if the holy spirt is in all of you, why are you all seemingly reading the same book but garnering different meanings from it. If its from the same god and all of you are saved by the same holy spirt, then why dont all of you agree?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TobiasKage said:
But you all have different interpretations of the same book, if its all the same and if the holy spirt is in all of you, why are you all seemingly reading the same book but garnering different meanings from it. If its from the same god and all of you are saved by the same holy spirt, then why dont all of you agree?
The flesh is weak and the truth is not always the "easy road" therefore many if not most Christians give in to lies and cliches.

Aimiel

Hating them would not only involve wanting them dead so badly that one contemplates the possibility to the point of fantasizing about killing them, but considering doing it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Aimiel said:
Hating them would not only involve wanting them dead so badly that one contemplates the possibility to the point of fantasizing about killing them, but considering doing it.
Maybe you, but not me.

I would rather they repent.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
TobiasKage said:
See this is what I dont get, there seems to be a ton of animosity here, people going back and forth over something that seems that it should be simple. Hate or dont hate. But all of you are christians right? But you all have different interpretations of the same book, if its all the same and if the holy spirt is in all of you, why are you all seemingly reading the same book but garnering different meanings from it. If its from the same god and all of you are saved by the same holy spirt, then why dont all of you agree?
Don't you just hate that?? :)

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
The flesh is weak and the truth is not always the "easy road" therefore many if not most Christians give in to lies and cliches.

So, Knight if thats true, who decides whos really in, how does any one know for sure. All any christian has is a personal relationship with christ, the bible speaks on this and how no man knows another mans heart, and even out side of chritianity thats true.

So, if most christians give into lies and cliches, how do you know if your really following gods word, or the word of a man who figured out how to control people? Which is the true denomination? There are over 33.000 different forms of chrisitanity across the globe, how do you know, or any one for that matter, which one is the right one?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
It's rather obvious I think.
I've thought about sins effects on understanding the bible. I also think that if a person is living in a certain sin that it can warp their thinking so they miss other things. I just didn't make that connection in this case.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
kmoney said:
Don't you just hate that?? :)

I dont hate it at all, it really doesnt effect me all that much. Aside from my dealing with people here on TOL I generaly dont interact with christians on a regular.

What it does is raise more questions about christianity. Why are there some many forms of it if your all getting saved by the same holy spirit?

Aimiel

TobiasKage said:
I believe that a large part of what Jesus meant when He said that He didn't come to this earth to bring peace but a sword is just this type of thing, precisely. He wants us to bring these things up to one another and to non-Christians, as well. That's what makes TOL so great. We're discussing The Lord and His Spirit is here, now. He brings us together with His Word. He causes us to use our sword (our words) upon one another. Iron sharpens iron. Faithful are the wounds of a friend. We are giving one another the benefit of our knowledge and experience. We're showing what we're made of, and allowing others to help us form our character, by their viewpoint giving us better perspective on our own opinions. None of us is worth anything, but with God inside of us, we are invaluable. His Presence makes us more alive than we could ever be even if we were the wisest person who ever lived.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
TobiasKage said:
I dont hate it at all, it really doesnt effect me all that much. Aside from my dealing with people here on TOL I generaly dont interact with christians on a regular.

What it does is raise more questions about christianity. Why are there some many forms of it if your all getting saved by the same holy spirit?
I was joking because this is a thread about "hate".

but anyway, man is falliable. The Holy Spirit isn't responsible for people's mistakes. All over there are things where people have different viewpoints on the same topic.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Aimiel said:
I believe that a large part of what Jesus meant when He said that He didn't come to this earth to bring peace but a sword is just this type of thing, precisely. He wants us to bring these things up to one another and to non-Christians, as well. That's what makes TOL so great. We're discussing The Lord and His Spirit is here, now. He brings us together with His Word. He causes us to use our sword (our words) upon one another. Iron sharpens iron. Faithful are the wounds of a friend. We are giving one another the benefit of our knowledge and experience. We're showing what we're made of, and allowing others to help us form our character, by their viewpoint giving us better perspective on our own opinions. None of us is worth anything, but with God inside of us, we are invaluable. His Presence makes us more alive than we could ever be even if we were the wisest person who ever lived.

Hey and if it makes your life better, great, I've never told any one that their going to hell, but other consistantly tell me that. If you think that fighting amungst your self is the best way to learn then, hey, go for it, I'll sit back and watch.

All I want is for christians to be just slightly more open minded, by all means I'm not trying to get any one here to lose their faith, that is not my intention at all. All I want is to be able to make a point with out people resorting to name calling. It seems that when a non-christian makes a point that christians get stumped on, or angered by, they resort to anger and start the mud sliging. But hey, I'm a big boy, I can take it.

To cut to the meat of it, christians preach love thy neighbor, but, they are some of the first to resort to low blows. Make a point with out going for blood, it can be done.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
kmoney said:
I was joking because this is a thread about "hate".

but anyway, man is falliable. The Holy Spirit isn't responsible for people's mistakes. All over there are things where people have different viewpoints on the same topic.

I did get it, its just the way I respond to people and sarcasim.

And your right, man is falliable, and man compiled and wrote the bible, with human influences, and their own agendas in mind and in play.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TobiasKage said:
There are over 33.000 different forms of chrisitanity across the globe, how do you know, or any one for that matter, which one is the right one?
They are all wrong - to some extent.

Some are more wrong than others and can be shown so in objective ways.

It's up to you to use your own brain and seek the truth.

Aimiel

TobiasKage said:
To cut to the meat of it, christians preach love thy neighbor, but, they are some of the first to resort to low blows. Make a point with out going for blood, it can be done.
You make a valid point, you ****

No, just kidding. You are right, a lot of people who profess Christianity demonstrate some really poor character traits. I've changed since I've been on TOL, but could probably stand to do even more. I'm not perfect. We all need work. None of us is finished, or we'd already be at The Big Supper Table in The Sky. :eek:

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
They are all wrong - to some extent.

Some are more wrong than others and can be shown so in objective ways.

It's up to you to use your own brain and seek the truth.

So, let me try and understand what your saying, all of the 33, 000, forms of christianity are wrong to some extent, some more so then others. Why not just have it so that every one gets the same message and understands everything about it?

If god is god, and the holy spirit is god, then the holy spirit is capable of making the message perfect, or near perfect for us mortals. And if the second coming can only happen after the world is made gods foot stool, then wouldnt it stand to reason that god would just every one to get the same message and work together to make the world christian?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TobiasKage said:
So, let me try and understand what your saying, all of the 33, 000, forms of christianity are wrong to some extent, some more so then others. Why not just have it so that every one gets the same message and understands everything about it?

If god is god, and the holy spirit is god, then the holy spirit is capable of making the message perfect, or near perfect for us mortals. And if the second coming can only happen after the world is made gods foot stool, then wouldnt it stand to reason that god would just every one to get the same message and work together to make the world christian?
It isn't like the essentials of the message are presented in 33,000 different ways.

Therefore your point is exaggerated and not accurate in this application.

Likewise...
There are millions of atheists and not a single two of them agree on everything therefore what?