ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
They will ONLY repent if you hate them?
There is NO WAY to call someone to repentance without hating them?
I am speaking of enemies as in evil enemies. Not just your typical "lost" soul.

lovemeorhateme

Knight said:

Where does the Bible tell us to hate? Actually command us to 'hate someone to repentance?' :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
lovemeorhateme said:
To me, 'perfect hatred' sounds like an oxymoron. I'm not quite sure. However, I am 100% sure that Jesus always told us to love one another, whether enemies or friends, whoever. I see nowhere where we are commanded to hate anyone.
Maybe your missing the point. :think:

Maybe the point is that love is more than just acceptance and tolerance. Maybe love could include perfect hatred for a wicked enemy. For if that perfect hatred helped the wicked realize they were wicked and then they later repented, your hatred would have been the most loving thing you could have done.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
If all of that is true then you were never sealed by the Holy Spirit and are going to hell.

Just thought you might want to know that fact.

I can see where you would say that Knight, really, but doesnt the bible say you'll know them by their fruits? From the age of three to eighteen I was a christian, I went to church every sunday, helpped out in the community, donated my time and energy to helpping the church, I was going to go on a mission trip to Brazil but money problems kept me from going, I was a christian through and through.

I believed every word of it, and if some one had put a gun to my head and asked me if I thought I was going to heaven, I would have answered yes and died content in knowing thats where I was going. I was a christian, through and through. And according to some, I'm still saved, just going through a relaps, but once saved always saved. Others, say I'm doomed to hell, and if thats so, well, to bad for me.

Aimiel

Johnny said:
Jesus gave an ORDER in unambigious terms. He didn't say "Love your enemies, but you can actually perfectly hate them, like david did." No. He said "love your enemies". That was it. No room for hatred. No matter how many old testament verses you pull out that say "God hates this person" or "David hated that person", it doesn't change the fact that Jesus commanded us directly to love our enemies and love our neighbor. As a Christian, I follow what Jesus said. I don't have to rationalize hate in the old testament. I don't have to look for ways to let my flesh through so I can hate like I want to. No. That's not my place. My place is to love, as I was told.
Amen. :thumb:

Johnny

Love and hate are not equal opposites.

You should love your enemy enough to hate him. Then and only then might he repent.
Perhaps you could tell me how to do that. Don't give me "well the hating drives them to Christ, and then they go to heaven. So that's really loving them". That's a pathetic convluted argument which falls on its face. How many sinners did Jesus hate to drive them towards Himself? Look at the world's response to Christian hate. Sure made them want Jesus, didn't it? No. Why would they want to be like us? Love always elicits a better response than hate.

We are told to love. We are told to be gentle with everyone. If you have convinced yourself that this somehow excuses you to hate people then you are wrong.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
lovemeorhateme said:
Where does the Bible tell us to hate? Actually command us to 'hate someone to repentance?' :think:
Well I already showed you one... here is another...

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

Abhor literally means hate.

Romans 12:9 pretty much sums up the argument. Loving wickedness is actually unrighteously hating someone, yet hating wickedness is the most loving thing you could do for the wicked.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
ok, that makes more sense to me know.
but I still question making it such an absolute state. I think hate could sometimes drive your enemies away. I guess it depends on how you show your hatred...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
How many sinners did Jesus hate to drive them towards Himself?
An infinite amount.

Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 “For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 “and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’

lovemeorhateme

Knight said:
Maybe your missing the point. :think:

Maybe the point is that love is more than just acceptance and tolerance. Maybe love could include perfect hatred for a wicked enemy. For if that perfect hatred helped the wicked realize they were wicked and then they later repented, your hatred would have been the most loving thing you could have done.

I can see the point there. I can see exactly where you are coming from. However, I disagree.

If I know someone who is in sin, how should I approach them? If I show hatred to them, then I will put them right off even wanting to know the first thing about salvation. I have spoken to people in the past, who refuse to have anything to do with salvation, as they can't stand the fact that, in their own words, 'Christians are so judgemental and hateful.'

Now, if I approach them with love, as in openly showing them love, they are far more likely to listen.

lovemeorhateme

Knight said:
Well I already showed you one... here is another...

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

Abhor literally means hate.

Romans 12:9 pretty much sums up the argument. Loving wickedness is actually unrighteously hating someone, yet hating wickedness is the most loving thing you could do for the wicked.

I don't buy your interpretation there. I really can't see it.

Aimiel

Somehow I just can't quite hear Jesus saying, "Get that woman off my feet, why is she putting that perfume on me with her dirty hair, she's a hooker, somebody get her off of me, I hate hookers." I also don't think He said, "Get away from this well you adulteress, I hate sinners." He didn't say, "Peter, I hate you," He said, "Get thee behind me, Satan..." because His hatred was against sin, not the sinner. He didn't even tell Satan that He hated Him, He merely rebuked him and put him in his place with The Word of God.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
I guess it depends on how you show your hatred...
Imagine a child raping pedophile.

Should he be loved by acceptance and tolerance? Or should he be loved by abhoring his wickedness?

Aimiel

Knight said:
An infinite amount.

Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 “For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 “and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’
For the sake of Jesus I find that I hate my family more than I do The Lord, but that doesn't detract from my love for them, or mean that the only affection I have towards them because they're lost sinners is hatred.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:

Should he be loved by acceptance and tolerance? Or should he be loved by abhoring his wickedness?
He should be loved with a bullet in his head.

lovemeorhateme

Knight said:
That's because you are a pervert.

Knight, I am not a pervert. I am a human being who is seeking the truth about God, and the Bible. Nothing more and nothing less. Just ask HisLight for instance, and she can tell you the truth of that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
lovemeorhateme said:
Knight, I am not a pervert. I am a human being who is seeking the truth about God, and the Bible. Nothing more and nothing less. Just ask HisLight for instance, and she can tell you the truth of that.
Arn't you a homo?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:

I think he should be executed. And if it was a child I knew I'd want to kill him myself.

But I think maybe we should try to spell out what hating someone like that would mean. What is involved in it? Calling them names? Screaming at them? Ignoring them? Killing them?