ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Aimiel

Emo said:
Outstanding! I will pray for you.

Phil. 3

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Emo,

We're all praying for LMoHM.

Hey, when I hear anyone point out that verse (Phillipians 3:13) I always have to point out that punctuation hadn't been invented when The Bible was written. If you read that verse without any:

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended but this one thing I do forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before

,,, it becomes clear that he meant that he counts himself to have apprehended the 'forgetting' and the 'reaching.'

OK, that's all I have. I'm gonna' get down off my soapbox now.

temple2006

Hey Crash,
Do you remember that thread you started in the early 2000s, entitled IS IT EVER OK TO 'ILL SOMEONE? I can't remember the outcome, but I can't forget the title...(as if you had to ask).
This present title seems so reminesent of the first one, it is scary.

Aimiel

billwald said:
>scientific fact

Like Jesus saying that seeds die before they sprout?
Let's see, was Jesus talking to farmers about how to raise a crop, or was He speaking to open-minded people who might understand the meaning of what He meant 'behind' the parable He spoke, because He didn't speak to us in The Gospels without speaking in parables. His meaning is that if we do as the wheat seed, that is, count our lives as nothing, sacrifice ourselves willingly, we will become the plant that He wants us to. Our lives must be laid to rest in the ground, dead, in order for Him to raise us up as new 'plants' in His Father's Kingdom. Capiche?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
temple 2000 said:
Hey Crash,
Do you remember that thread you started in the early 2000s, entitled IS IT EVER OK TO 'ILL SOMEONE? I can't remember the outcome, but I can't forget the title...(as if you had to ask).
This present title seems so reminesent of the first one, it is scary.

Yes Temple and I remember you well! It may scare you but hey look at the fruit! I am pryaing for LMOHM!

ItIsWritten

CRASH said:
Some said yes and some said no. What say you?
Surely, if one asks the wrong question, then they cannot expect that they will get the right answer.

(What say YOU? -- May I point out that this seems to be a call for man's wisdom and for those seeking truth, I'd suggest the following as a starting point.)

The right question regarding any Biblical issue (i.e. "ok for a Christian") is "What saith the scriptures"?

stunrut

We should not hate but who's perfect? Is it Ok to hate? No. Can we be forgiven? Yes.

That clears it all up for me.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
stunrut said:
We should not hate but who's perfect?
Ironic choice of words. Did you see this passage, which has been quoted several times on this thread?
Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies. Psalms 139:21-22​
What do you make of it? How do you reconcile your belief that it is never right to hate with this passage (and others like it)?

stunrut

Turbo said:
Ironic choice of words. Did you see this passage, which has been quoted several times on this thread?
Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies. Psalms 139:21-22​
What do you make of it? How do you reconcile your belief that it is never right to hate with this passage (and others like it)?

This looks like a question to me not a statement. This passage is not God telling us that it is ok to hate.

I repeat that we are not perfect. It is not our place to judge others so on what basis should we hate them?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
ItIsWritten said:
Surely, if one asks the wrong question, then they cannot expect that they will get the right answer.

(What say YOU? -- May I point out that this seems to be a call for man's wisdom and for those seeking truth, I'd suggest the following as a starting point.)

The right question regarding any Biblical issue (i.e. "ok for a Christian") is "What saith the scriptures"?

True but I would guess every Christian here knew that the standerd would be God and his Word!

JoyfulRook

stunrut said:
This passage is not God telling us that it is ok to hate.
Then what is it telling us?
It is not our place to judge others so on what basis should we hate them?
Matthew 7:1-5
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

So don't judge like a hypocrite. Do you not know that we will judge the angels?

1 Corinthians 6:2-3
Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?

stunrut

Dread Helm said:
Then what is it telling us?

Matthew 7:1-5
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

So don't judge like a hypocrite. Do you not know that we will judge the angels?

1 Corinthians 6:2-3
Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?

It was a question posed to God.

It was also about hating non-christians.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13
It isn't our job to judge outsiders. But it certainly is our job to judge and deal strongly with those who are members of the church, and who are sinning in these ways.
God alone is the Judge of those on the outside. But you yourselves must deal with this man and put him outside of your church.

David2

BANNED
Banned
listen up all you guys i won't even read any posts,
you love your neighbour as yourself,
jesus reiterated this from the words of Moses.
having said that, he had no respect of men, did he hate the jew leaders and levites, calling them liars , vipers and so ?
did it contracict to his own expression of saying 'raca' to his brother.
no
why
becausefirst of all to call a liar a liar is not a sin, now we have adjectives in our modern day language that get bleeted out. do you not hink they had adjectives back then to . Just like in french the f word is noit a bad of cuss word, doesn't work the same as the f word and it's releasing kind of feeling.
but o to call some one f idiot does not by a ticket to hell either, it doesn't break God's laws, it's just part of the vulgarity of the common language today. The word swearing in the bible is not cussing but to promise.

judging is for the saints, saints are meant to live together in harmony the 1- commandments are for those in the promised land to abide by ie new jerusalem, ie the song of Moses rev 14 amd 15 :3.
There is sin going on the heathen world and currently you are living in it and are committed to it whetheryou know it or not. therefore look not upon the neighbours blemish b/c you have one to and it's blocking your view.
all born into sin rasied in sin cultures.
therefore only by me Jesus says that one can attain to God, This same principal applies to the new jerusalem that is lite up 24/7 for it is like a candle on a hill that all can see. and you cannot enter therin unless you go by the son.
So first thing first acceptance of jesus who was the son sacrificed and the unblemished body adn the vow to walk after him , thqt implies follow in his life.
You must know to be free from sin implies to follow Jesus , that is how you cannot 'hate' anyone, when in faith and doing according to His Words, all you sins are like scarlet and washed clean in God's site, but you must be unot god and God only.

now why does God continue to repeat and Jesus repeats, That God has promised and will fulfill His promise.

Because he hates you or loves you?
So when you are in difficulty , is it by accident, or are you being pulled?
Now this is not to be taken fanatically, for i have met some who flipped their biscuit when they realize that God is with them at all times.

You are hear for a reason, many of you hear want to be heard , i can tell by all the subjects being posted.
First hear God, then you will be heard. Block God , and he will block you .
hear Him when He says " keep my Word, laws", or He won't hear you when you pray, why should He pay attention unless you listen to Him.

The Bible is clear on this point "IF" you change your ways _____operating word ___IF___.
That is the entire bottom line , you want God's attention hear Him and cooperate.

Even Jesus said when his mother called him " those are not my family, but these here who do the Will of My Father, " so, he didn't hear her. _______ he did but what was his point. YOU MUST STOP SIN.

How easy it is to forget the basic 101 princiopals for loving God.
Everything else outside of love, that is doing His will, His way following His Word, is doing HATE to your brother.

did you hear that?

now go about yor business and stop all sin.

First you must know the Laws of God before you can stop them.

herein is your ignorance, b/c your phd pulpit preachers are not even teaching the laws of God.

So i say again go to REv ch 2 and 3 and understand in which or if in many churches you are living right now
go

i say "hear and stop playing games, b/c you have attachments to your sin ( hate) ways, in Gods name."

your eternal friend and confidant,
in God's name i pray
DAvid2

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
David2 said:
listen up all you guys i won't even read any posts,
But you want us to read your rants? No thanks.

TOL is for dialogue. This is not the David2 soapbox.

God_Is_Truth

so, back to the original topic.

are there any other verses supporting the idea of hating others besides Psalms 139:21-22 and Romans 12:9 ?