Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Hunter

Mammals bear live young and have hair, right? Except for the ones that don't.
Perhaps you should look up the criteria for the Class Mammalia, it's not what you think it is.

You philosophers, theologians, and English teachers need to leave science to scientists (engineers, physicists, chemists, biologists, etc).

Rosenritter

Perhaps you should look up the criteria for the Class Mammalia, it's not what you think it is.

You philosophers, theologians, and English teachers need to leave science to scientists (engineers, physicists, chemists, biologists, etc).

[mam-uh l]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun 1. any vertebrate of the class Mammalia, having the body more or less covered with hair, nourishing the young with milk from the mammary glands, and, with the exception of the egg-laying monotremes, giving birth to live young.

Hunter, I'm a math and science guy that happens to be able to read and write as well. Your trolling is clueless because "kind" works perfectly well for its intended purpose. "Cattle after their kind" means a different thing than "Cattle" and no one has trouble figuring out the intended concept. Except you. And clueless trolls.

chair

For those of us interested in a rational discussion, we could provide a better model if we find errors in Dr Brown's work and we can focus on the fundamentals — gravity — instead of pretending friction is the be all and end all.

Stripe, gravity is fundamental, but it isn't everything. Friction plays an important role, and can't be ignored.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe, gravity is fundamental, but it isn't everything. Friction plays an important role, and can't be ignored.

And it hasn't been ignored; it's been put in its place. Friction has nothing to do with how the energy is transferred between the Earth and the moon. It can't, for the obvious reason that there is no contact between the two.

Thus we must understand gravity to properly figure out what would happen given more ocean assumed by an evolutionary past. What would happen is the tidal bulges would be in play more, creating more gravitational force for the moon to act on and speeding up its recession.

Simple physics.

However, if we ignore the fundamentals and pretend it is friction that is the be all and end all, we might figure that increased friction would reduce the bulges' offset, giving exactly the reverse.

So, which is it? The fundamentals, or the notion that protects Darwinism?

Tyrathca

Not really. The sediment would be very thick in some areas and not so thick elsewhere. Peaks and lows come into play.
Hmmmm.... careful there Rosen it almost sounds like you are making a testable prediction!

How deep is very deep and what would it mean of everywhere we dug we got rocks with fossils really really deep?

redfern

Dude, get over yourself. I can't access your papers; most of them cost $US40.

And that is all irrelevant anyway; I've clearly outlined the problem they have.
You have outlined the problem they have, without even having read them? That’s the way you do science?

Tyrathca

[mam-uh l]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun 1. any vertebrate of the class Mammalia, having the body more or less covered with hair, nourishing the young with milk from the mammary glands, and, with the exception of the egg-laying monotremes, giving birth to live young.
Seriously? Why do creationists treat dictionaries and thesauruses as if they are infallible lexicons regarding technical language? You don't see doctors running to dictionaries when they don't recognise the name of a disease, why? Because the dictionary is not meant for technical terminology.

Hunter, I'm a math and science guy that happens to be able to read and write as well.
A math and science guy who thinks dictionaries are appropriate sources for the technical definition of scientific terms.....
Your trolling is clueless because "kind" works perfectly well for its intended purpose. "Cattle after their kind" means a different thing than "Cattle" and no one has trouble figuring out the intended concept. Except you. And clueless trolls.
It's perfectly fine term provided you don't try to be specific about it or use it in any scientific way. Then it all just falls apart in vagueness. :"Kinds" only make sense provided you don't think about them too much.

chair

And it hasn't been ignored; it's been put in its place. Friction has nothing to do with how the energy is transferred between the Earth and the moon. It can't, for the obvious reason that there is no contact between the two...

Stripe, leave alone "Darwinism" for a minute. This has to do with basic physics, and you have simply got it wrong. These are well known effects. You can read about them in basic texts or even Wikipedia articles.

Silent Hunter

[mam-uh l] noun 1. any vertebrate of the class Mammalia, having the body more or less covered with hair, nourishing the young with milk from the mammary glands, and, with the exception of the egg-laying monotremes, giving birth to live young.
You had this to say about mammals:
Mammals bear live young and have hair, right? Except for the ones that don't.
... as if there was something obscure and meaningless about the scientific class of the phylum. Not all mammals give live birth, the noted example being the platypus, doesn't make them less mammalian ("except for the ones that don't") The markers describing "mammals" are present in ALL mammals of the class.
Hunter, I'm a math and science guy that happens to be able to read and write as well.
I happen to be a "math and science guy" myself, an engineer for almost 40 years and have hobbies, interests, and abilities to rival the renaissance masters.

Good for you that you learned to "read and write". It's a pity that "understand" didn't make it into that skill set.
Your trolling is clueless because "kind" works perfectly well for its intended purpose. "Cattle after their kind" means a different thing than "Cattle" and no one has trouble figuring out the intended concept. Except you. And clueless trolls.
I've never seen someone whine so much. When you can't have your way you start name-calling or complaining you're being spammed or anything to avoid recognizing your obvious lack of knowledge.

"Kind" is adequate for you and bronze age nomadic sheep hearders but is absolutely worthless to science.

redfern

Thus we must understand gravity to properly figure out what would happen given more ocean assumed by an evolutionary past. What would happen is the tidal bulges would be in play more, creating more gravitational force for the moon to act on and speeding up its recession.
What do you mean by the bulges being “in play” more? Are you saying more ocean would result in bigger bulges, or in bulges located differently than we see now?
However, if we ignore the fundamentals and pretend it is friction that is the be all and end all, we might figure that increased friction would reduce the bulges' offset, giving exactly the reverse.
But one reason the bulges are offset is friction slows the movement of water that makes up the tidal bulge. How is increasing the friction, and thus slowing the flow of water into the tidal bulge, going to reduce the offset?

Rosenritter

You had this to say about mammals:... as if there was something obscure and meaningless about the scientific class of the phylum. Not all mammals give live birth, the noted example being the platypus, doesn't make them less mammalian ("except for the ones that don't") The markers describing "mammals" are present in ALL mammals of the class.I happen to be a "math and science guy" myself, an engineer for almost 40 years and have hobbies, interests, and abilities to rival the renaissance masters.

Good for you that you learned to "read and write". It's a pity that "understand" didn't make it into that skill set.I've never seen someone whine so much. When you can't have your way you start name-calling or complaining you're being spammed or anything to avoid recognizing your obvious lack of knowledge.

"Kind" is adequate for you and bronze age nomadic sheep hearders but is absolutely worthless to science.
I am amazed that you use so much text with your trolling. So much text and so little to say...

6days

redfern said:
6days said:
However, I said you were equating science with evolutionism.
Which is false. I never said that, I never implied that. I have said almost nothing about evolution.
You certainly seemed to equate common ancestry beliefs with science when you said "religious people like to misuse science". I 'm not above apologizing if I understood you wrong, but it certainly seems you were saying common creator beliefs is religion, and common ancestry beliefs are science. I already made the point that neither belief system is science; but instead opposing ways of interpreting evidence.

redfern said:
6days said:
Being oblivious to your fallacy of equivocation does not mean you are 'innocent of the crime'.
People who specialize in pointing out everything they perceive as a logical fallacy are often people who have nothing more substantive to offer.
Evolutionists use the fallacy of equivocation to sell their beliefs. We won't need to point out logical fallacies if you use specific and meaningful terms.

redfern said:
6days said:
Evolutionists ALWAYS use the word in ambiguous fallacious ways. The word is used to describe an observable process- adaptation, then in the next breath used to mean their belief in the past- as if this observable process was somehow a proof of their common ancestry beliefs.
Why on earth do you wedge “evolution” into this conversation every other sentence? Are you incapable (or unwilling) to discuss ideas in other branches of science on their own merits?
This whole thread is about evolution which you seem to equate with science. Are you referring to observable processes...or, to your unobservable belief system about the past? (Common ancestry).

What branches of science did you want to discuss?

redfern said:
6days said:
Uh..... biologists and physicists work in totally separate fields of study. There is no need to call a physicist an evolutionist, or a creationist, unless they are talking about their beliefs about the past.
What? If a nuclear physicist studies radioactive decays that indicate what happened in the past, then they must be either a creationist or an evolutionist?
Yes...of course. Surely you don't think any nuclear physicists are a blank slate re our origins? BTW.... the physicist studies radioactive rates in the present and make assumptions about the past. Do they assume that argon existed in the beginning? Do they assume argon exists only as a decay product?
redfern said:
A geologist that studies the evidence for past plate tectonic movement can’t be just a geologist?
So Andrew Snelling should be identified just as a geologist? You are opposed to identifying him as a creationist?

rwdfetn said:
Astronomers watching for supernova that exploded eons ago have to be shoehorned into some artificial category?
So you would be opposed to identifying astronomer Dr Jonathon Henry as a creationist?

BTW... you seem to confuse distance in space with time. They are two different things.

redfern said:
You’re out of your frigging mind.

Well.... my family and friends often say that I am a bit crazy. Ha... but they say it in a loving way.

redfern said:
As to what you said, you did not say that that “our moon is consistent with the Biblical account.” You said the moon’s orbit was “NO LONGER PERFECT.” And that is blithering nonsense, since you are clearly incapable of telling us what it even means for the moon to have a perfect orbit.

I think I said both of those things? Without going back and looking at my exact words.... We assume that we can see evidence of that perfection in the world around us, but scripture tells us that all creation groans....perfection has been lost. There are many features of the Moon where we can see the evidences of our loving Creator.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you mean by the bulges being “in play” more? Are you saying more ocean would result in bigger bulges, or in bulges located differently than we see now?

But one reason the bulges are offset is friction slows the movement of water that makes up the tidal bulge. How is increasing the friction, and thus slowing the flow of water into the tidal bulge, going to reduce the offset?
The tidal bulge is cut off when it runs into land that extends from north to south, which in today's world is significant around the continents of Africa and America.

The idea in your papers is that there were no significant land masses like that in the past.

This means the bulge would remain in play all around the globe, instead of being cut off twice.

More bulge in play means more gravity to drive moon recession.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.