Does TOL get us anywhere?

heartless_Adam

Just out of interest; has anyone ever started out at TOL with one set of ideals or beleifs, then actualy had them changed by things that were said by other members?:rolleyes:

Mustard Seed

TOL can be good, bad, ugly and irrelevant, informative and entertaining depending on-

TOL can be good, bad, ugly and irrelevant, informative and entertaining depending on-

My basic beliefs have remained in tact. Many misconceptions I had about my faith are gone and I see more logic behind my belief than I did before.

On the whole you are probably correct in your implicit statement from the question that we are not accomplishing a whole lot. I spend far to much time here. It's something I need to repent of if I want to get more accomplished in my life.

I've contemplated just quiting as I obviously have failed several times in my attempts to moderate what I do here. I hope I make the correct decision. There was a thread of this nature quite a while ago. It' was quite good. That repetition though is classic of this site. As far as addressing something new it rarely if ever happens and when it does it is likely dwelled upon for far to long.

Sure there's always the hope you affect someone and change them for the better. However if I spent my time trying to better myself and not worry as much about everyone else I would likely be better off and perhaps better capable of influencing others in my life. I am not going to say that the debate is utterly futile nor that it doesn't, at times, bring about good. But I am seriously thinking about forsaking it. I think I may have said enough at this point to be reaching the point of diminishing returns. Then there's always that stupid worry that's really unfounded that if I sware it off that someone will be able to undo any good I might have accomplished through any number of mediums.

OMEGA

Krokodile Dummie,

Krokodile Dummie,

NEW GUY ,

I have been on this forum for over 5 years and

seen many people (like you) come and go .

I have had to Defend my opinions and

changed my outlook when more learned posters

presented their documentation.

It has made me Stronger in the Faith .

I find TOL one of the most TOLERANT forums on the Net.

and Knight is one of the BEST Webmasters on the Net.

If you doubt my word, try posting your opinions on the following forum and see how fast they BAN YOU .

http://www.christianwebsite.com/appiesboard/search.php?search_author=OMEGA3

Last edited:

Redfin

“The primary purpose of dialogue is to learn, that is, to change and grow in the perception and understanding of reality, and then to act accordingly. Minimally, the very fact that I learn that my dialogue partner believes "this" rather than "that" proportionally changes my attitude toward her; and a change in my attitude is a significant change in me. We enter into dialogue so that we can learn, change, and grow, not so we can force change on the other, as one hopes to do in debate--a hope realized in inverse proportion to the frequency and ferocity with which debate is entered into. On the other hand, because in dialogue each partner comes with the intention of learning and changing herself, one's partner in fact will also change. Thus the goal of debate, and much more, is accomplished far more effectively by dialogue.�

See - http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=579516#post579516

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Re: Does TOL get us anywhere?

Originally posted by heartless_Adam

Just out of interest; has anyone ever started out at TOL with one set of ideals or beleifs, then actualy had them changed by things that were said by other members?
As iron sharpens iron,
So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

I think I've been sharpened quite a bit. :eek:

firechyld

I find TOL one of the most TOLERANT forums on the Net.

and Knight is one of the BEST Webmasters on the Net.

Suck up. ;)

heartless_adam: I've gained something from my use of TOL over the years... I don't think the fact that I haven't changed my core beliefs negates that.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I dunno... calling Knight's website "tolerant" is a bit of an insult. :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Just out of interest; has anyone ever started out at TOL with one set of ideals or beleifs, then actualy had them changed by things that were said by other members?:rolleyes:
Honestly, yes. And I haven't even been here a year. My views on certain aspects of security and righteousness have changed. I used to believe that salvation could be lost, but now I know the difference between seasonal disobedience, and not being saved in the first place.

Art Deco

Originally posted by Redfin

“The primary purpose of dialogue is to learn, that is, to change and grow in the perception and understanding of reality, and then to act accordingly.
The following article will prove this impossible: www.lewrockwell.com/yates/yates62.html

From the article:
Everybody in his daily behavior again and again bears witness to the immutability and universality of the categories of thought and action. He who addresses fellow men, who wants to inform and convince them, who ask questions and answers other people's questions, can proceed in this way only because he can appeal to something common to all men - namely: the logical structure of human reason. The idea that A could at the same time be non-A is simply inconceivable and absurd to a human mind.

Cont. from the article:
Polylogism denies this. As close inspection of the term suggests, it means: many logics.... What is true according to one culture isn't necessarily true for another...it means that different peoples literally do not think the same way. Their minds do not operate according to the same logical rules. Whatever the cash value of this reality is, the peoples live in different cognitive amd moral universes...

If,say, Americans moving into the 21st century really do live in a different cognitive and moral universe from, say, peoples in the Islamic world - then how do we communicate with them, whatever our purpose? We can't. Not really. They will talk right past us and we will talk right past them.

One need only view the many threads and detailed arguments for and against Abortion on TOL to conclude Yates is right. There is no common logical structure to human reason. He goes on to say:"If we begin with the assumption that peoples cannot communicate, no one will ever have any reason to try. Disputes will be resolved not by any form of reason but by fighting it out."

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Art Deco

The following article will prove this impossible
Then how do you explain the people just on this thread who have stated their minds have been changed. Do you think they are lying?

Zakath

Resident Atheist

I know of several former posters who fit that profile...

Art Deco

Originally posted by Jefferson

Then how do you explain the people just on this thread who have stated their minds have been changed. Do you think they are lying?
Jeff, these are rare exceptions. Call me when Zakath repudiates atheism...

Art Deco

Re: Re: Does TOL get us anywhere?

Re: Re: Does TOL get us anywhere?

Originally posted by Zakath

I know of several former posters who fit that profile...
Really, several, out of how many hundreds of millions. Wow, I stand corrected... :rolleyes:

Balder

Art,

Just because you're stuck in a rut and are incapable of "hearing" or grasping other peoples' arguments doesn't mean everyone is!

;)

Seriously, the fact that people in different cultures and times have different structures behind their logic(s) doesn't mean that those structures are immutable. If they were, you never would have progressed past the first logical structures of your 5 year-old mind. (Resisting the urge to make a wisecrack. Bad Balder.) Certainly logic isn't universal, nor is it independent of human embodiment, human culture, or human development. But that knowledge can facilitate communication, not preclude it, once you get some grasp on the structures that inform different peoples' thought. This realization, in fact, is part of what informs the article Redfin posted.

If the author of the article you posted really has thrown in the towel and decided that communication is impossible and warfare and destruction of opponents are the only ways "forward" in the world, well, that is indeed sad. A self-fulfilling prophesy if I ever saw one. And a pretty harmful one at that.

B.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Just out of interest; has anyone ever started out at TOL with one set of ideals or beleifs, then actualy had them changed by things that were said by other members?

I get understanding and empathy. As for change... I figure God always has His own timetable for that.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Re: Re: Does TOL get us anywhere?

Re: Re: Re: Does TOL get us anywhere?

Originally posted by Art Deco

Really, several, out of how many hundreds of millions.
"hundreds of millions" of TOL posters???

Hundreds, I believe.

Thousand or more, maybe...

But "hundreds of millions"?

:chuckle:

Wow, I stand corrected...
Glad to help set you on the "straight and narrow, AD. ;)