can anyone please give me proof that Jesus Christ is real?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
c.moore,

I think all religions have a syncretic character to them, since they all deal with basically the same audience - the human race.

Unless my culture is totally isolated, influences from other cultures will find their way into it. Religion is similar to culture, in that respect.

BTW, has your "WOFer" preaching and great example of faith managed to convert your professor yet? :chuckle:

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
C.Moore, your teacher is wrong. Jewish belief and traditions are unique. They might have similarities but that's because humans have the same aspirations and there are timeless truths.

An example is the Mayans had temples and a monastic lifestyle simila to Buddhist or even Christian mons, but with the separation and history of the different cultures, it is impossible to say the Mayans stole somethin from Buddhism.

c.moore

Originally posted by Zakath

c.moore,

I think all religions have a syncretic character to them, since they all deal with basically the same audience - the human race.

Unless my culture is totally isolated, influences from other cultures will find their way into it. Religion is similar to culture, in that respect.

BTW, has your "WOFer" preaching and great example of faith managed to convert your professor yet? :chuckle:

No, he still won`t even start to believe in Peter pan or alice in wounderland.:chuckle:

c.moore

Originally posted by jjjg

C.Moore, your teacher is wrong. Jewish belief and traditions are unique. They might have similarities but that's because humans have the same aspirations and there are timeless truths.

An example is the Mayans had temples and a monastic lifestyle simila to Buddhist or even Christian mons, but with the separation and history of the different cultures, it is impossible to say the Mayans stole somethin from Buddhism.

somethime we need to use a little logic and reasonings it might show who is the real copy cats.:)

c.moore

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

Of course not. I'm a Christian.

Now we are getting some where.

Then don`t you think the bible didn`t drop from heaven either?

Do you know it develope throught out the ages??

there are other books of the bible like the book of Thomas which was taken out and many others by the church and not God.

I really put alot of blame on the Catholic church about adding and taken things away in the bible and the idea they want all the credit for making the bible for us.

As i question the Koran i have to question the process of the bible, and did the bible just was drop out of heaven like the Koran through prophecy and angles instantly with proofs of not being a copy cat.

Even the characters in the bible have so many similarities or old pagan characters which a person logically can see that a copy and paste Holy Book was invented by the church and the christian religion.

Last edited:

c.moore

Agreed, C.Moore. There is all the evidence that Christianity dispersed to Northern India but none that Buddhism made its way to the greek and Palestine.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03028b.htm

This was interesting to read in your link you gave:

Buddha did not go to the extremes of fanaticism that characterized so many of the Brahmin ascetics. He chose the middle path of moderate asceticism which he compared to a lute, which gives forth the proper tones only when the strings are neither too tight nor too slack. Each member was allowed but one set of garments, of yellowish colour and of cheap quality. These, together with his sleeping mat, razor, needle, water-strainer, and alms bowl, constituted the sum of his earthly possessions. His single meal, which had to be taken before noon, consisted chiefly of bread, rice, and curry, which he gathered daily in his alms-bowl by begging. Water or rice-milk was his customary drink, wine and other intoxicants being rigorously forbidden, even as medicine. Meat, fish, and delicacies were rarely eaten except in sickness or when the monk dined by invitation with some patron. The use of perfumes, flowers, ointments, and participation in worldly amusements fell also into the class of things prohibited. In theory, the moral code of Buddhism was little more than a copy of that of Brahminism. Like the latter, it extended to thoughts and desires, no less than to words and deeds. Unchastity in all its forms, drunkenness, lying, stealing, envy, pride, harshness are fittingly condemned. But what, perhaps, brings Buddhism most strikingly in contact with Christianity is its spirit of gentleness and forgiveness of injuries. To cultivate benevolence towards men of all classes, to avoid anger and physical violence, to be patient under insult, to return good for evil—all this was inculated in Buddhism and helped to make it one of the gentlest of religions. To such an extent was this carried that the Buddhist monk, like the Brahmin ascetic, had to avoid with the greatest care the destruction of any form of animal life.

I also had to go here to see what was copied again:_
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02730a.htm

what was older Buddhism?
http://www.mahasiusa.org/theravada.htm

or
Hinduism?
http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/ask_earl/page?d=20020913

maybe Hindu copied things from Buddhism and was carried down into the Jewish religion and Christianity.:think:

gimp

Even the characters in the bible have so many similarities or old pagan characters which a person logically can see that a copy and paste Holy Book was invented by the church and the christian religion.

Is this really what Christian's think of the Bible? If so, why would they be Christian's? It doesn't make sense to me.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14530a.htm#V

You might find the part on history of the doctrine more interesting.

As I said from the beginning, the issue of Josephus is unsettled and may never be settled. For somebody like Granite who no longer believes in Christianity (or never did) for his sexual preference reasons is going to decide that what Josephus said was completely false when there is no evidence to completely refute it.

Josephus probably did mention Jesus but it could have been touched up by Christian writers, but this is uncertain although the most "middle ground" viewpoint.:thumb:

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14530a.htm#V

You might find the part on history of the doctrine more interesting.

As I said from the beginning, the issue of Josephus is unsettled and may never be settled. For somebody like Granite who no longer believes in Christianity (or never did) for his sexual preference reasons is going to decide that what Josephus said was completely false when there is no evidence to completely refute it.

Josephus probably did mention Jesus but it could have been touched up by Christian writers, but this is uncertain although the most "middle ground" viewpoint.:thumb:

You may think this is funny (Lord knows what passes for humor in Canada), but I don't want to say this again: my sexuality is not your business (though I'm straight and always will be), and I resent you lying and speculating about why I left the faith. Not that it has anything to do with the subject of this thread, by the way.

I've made my reasons for leaving the church pretty clear elsewhere. Your ignorance and back pedaling throughout this thread certainly doesn't do your faith any good, and cheap back shots like this post confirm what most folks already know: that most Christians really are petty, judgmental, ignorant, close minded, smarmy, and contemptible.

First you go from writing off Josephus as "obscure"--which is the biggest knee-slapper of this thread--and now you're pontificating like you know what you're talking about. Get a clue, Triple J. There is no relic or artifact to prove most of scripture, much less the reality of Jesus. You don't even have straws to grasp at, and that's why Christianity doesn't usually pretend it has "evidence." It's the magic of faith--or willful self-delusion, depending on what side you're on.

Talking to a Christian's like playing cards with someone who insists on using imaginary chips and never lets you see their hand. The inconvenience of "proving" any of Christianity's inane, illogical, bizarre, or outrageous claims simply disappears...if, and only if, you never have to show your hand.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
Granite, you can fool some of the papal some of the time, but your orientation is no reason to attack the church. If your preference doesn't suit a faith's view than leave the faith for that reason.

Leaving for that reason and then lying about it just makes you look bad.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Granite, you can fool some of the papal some of the time, but your orientation is no reason to attack the church. If your preference doesn't suit a faith's view than leave the faith for that reason.

Leaving for that reason and then lying about it just makes you look bad.

Fool some of the papal? Catholic humor?:D

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm gay. Good for comic relief but that's about it.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
All right, Granite but don't attack us over your reference.

By the way, look at the posts. I'm not the only one who has suspected it.:sheep: :cow: :neck: :deb: :deb: :troy: :lucky: :lucky: :lucky: :Elaine: :Elaine: :e4e: :emarie: :emarie: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :thefool: :patrol: :zoomin: :the_wave: :the_wave:

Granite

Hall of Fame

All right, Granite but don't attack us over your reference.

By the way, look at the posts. I'm not the only one who has suspected it.:sheep: :cow: :neck: :deb: :deb: :troy: :lucky: :lucky: :lucky: :Elaine: :Elaine: :e4e: :emarie: :emarie: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :thefool: :patrol: :zoomin: :the_wave: :the_wave:

What "reference" are you talking about?

By the way, what a bunch of uptight Jesus-shouters suspect about me's not gonna keep me up nights, no offense. I guess I don't need to ask what in God's name would lead someone to suspect this from my posts, short of paranoia or projection, but oh well.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
You sound a little uptight yourself.:princess: :princess: :mad: :mad: :sheep: :cow: :chicken: :Shaggy: :deb: :deb: :troy: :jessilu: :jessilu: :lucy: :lucy: :lucky: :lucky: :taoist: :Christine :Elaine: :e4e: :emarie: :emarie: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :thefool:

Granite

Hall of Fame

You sound a little uptight yourself.:princess: :princess: :mad: :mad: :sheep: :cow: :chicken: :Shaggy: :deb: :deb: :troy: :jessilu: :jessilu: :lucy: :lucy: :lucky: :lucky: :taoist: :Christine :Elaine: :e4e: :emarie: :emarie: :Whipsnap: :Whipsnap: :thefool:

Think what you like. I remember--mostly--celebrating the Sox last night, and I didn't do it just by sipping tea...:cool: