Bible Study - the Book of Job

False Prophet

I think of the poem of the foot prints in the sand. As I look back behind me I see two sets of foot prints: mine and God's. But when I look back at my times of distress, I see only one set of foot prints. I wonder where was God during this time? God says, "There are only one set of foot prints during those times, because I carried you through those times of distress."
Lam.3
[1] I am the man who has seen affliction
under the rod of his wrath;
[2] he has driven and brought me
into darkness without any light;
[3] surely against me he turns his hand
again and again the whole day long.
[4] He has made my flesh and my skin waste away,
and broken my bones;
[5] he has besieged and enveloped me
with bitterness and tribulation;
[6] he has made me dwell in darkness
like the dead of long ago.
[7] He has walled me about so that I cannot escape;
he has put heavy chains on me;
[8] though I call and cry for help,
he shuts out my prayer;
We may feel like we are the only ones in the world with our problems and afflictions, but there is always somebody who is having a harder time; and many people are going through the same thing, or some have had to go through the same thing that we are going through now. We think that we are unique. Woe is Me! God doesn't love me. Why don't I just ask God for his help and direction?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Read the entire life of David for understanding.

The book of Job concentrates on one section of Davids life, not much on the beginning nor the ending, though the beginning is bought up and very little about the ending.

Jobs experience is something to look forward to if one aspires to rule with Christ in His throne at His return.

LA

False Prophet

Job.4
[7] "Think now, who that was innocent ever perished?
Or where were the upright cut off?
[8] As I have seen, those who plow iniquity
and sow trouble reap the same.
This does not sound like an evil spirit. It sounds like good sound doctrine. It is evil speaking under the circumstances. Imagine going to a funeral and hearing the preacher speak these words, I can't imagine it because I have never seen it done.
Job.2
[11]
Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each from his own place, Eli'phaz the Te'manite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Na'amathite. They made an appointment together to come to condole with him and comfort him.

Some condolence and comfort! With friends like this who needs enemies? Let me answer the above question put forth by Eliphaz anyway.
Rev.6
[9]
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne;

[10] they cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before thou wilt judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell upon the earth?"
[11] Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.
Job was upright and blameless before God, but he was going through travail. The evil doers will be judged for their sins. God is not mocked! However, the righteous do not always get their way. The apostles and prophets were put to death for preaching the Word of God.

False Prophet

Job was upright and blameless before God.
Job.6[4] For the arrows of the Almighty are in me;
my spirit drinks their poison;
the terrors of God are arrayed against me.
Job was not being judged by God.
Psalm 7[12] If a man does not repent, God will whet his sword;
he has bent and strung his bow;
[13] he has prepared his deadly weapons,
making his arrows fiery shafts.
The judgment of God is for unrepentant sinners. We see in Revelation how the men hide themselves under rocks and call for the mountains to fall on top of them to hide them from the wrath of God, but they do not repent for their sins. Psalm 77[16] When the waters saw thee, O God,
when the waters saw thee, they were afraid,
yea, the deep trembled.
[17] The clouds poured out water;
the skies gave forth thunder;
thy arrows flashed on every side.
[18] The crash of thy thunder was in the whirlwind;
thy lightnings lighted up the world;
the earth trembled and shook.
When the LORD redeemed his people did he stretch forth his arm. This is the whirlwind of judgment with the arrows from the LORD. The waters are many peoples, nations, and tongues.
Psalm 144[5] Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down!
Touch the mountains that they smoke!
[6] Flash forth the lightning and scatter them,
send out thy arrows and rout them!
[7] Stretch forth thy hand from on high,
rescue me and deliver me from the many waters,
from the hand of aliens,
[8] whose mouths speak lies,
and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
Job was upright and blameless before God. Jimmy Swaggart said that most of the book of Job was a bunch of balogna! What is it doing in there for? The book of Job has a purpose. All scripture is beneficial.
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness ; 2 Tim 3:16

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Job ends his reply to Eliphaz

Job ends his reply to Eliphaz

I really love the poetic books of the bible, especially in the KJV.

The times of speaking with real passion and emotional language is becoming a lost art in the fast paced hustle and bustle of the new techno age.
Kind of a shame.

Ahh, to hear ……
“From women's eyes this doctrine I derive: they sparkle still the right Promethean fire; They are the books, the arts, the academes, that show, contain, and nourish all the world."
…… instead of …..
“You look fine.”

In my opinion, the poetic books of the bible should be read slowly, not hurriedly.
The emotion in them is astounding.
Job 7 KJV
(1) Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?
(2) As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work:
(3) So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.
(4) When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.
(5) My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome.
(6) My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope.
His life is ending, as is the natural order. Man only has an appointed time on earth (which is but a fleeting moment in eternity), and then he dies.
It is as if he were hired for a long and burdensome task, and now the hard day’s task is done and all you desire is sweet rest.
But Job has no rest.
His excruciating aches have dragged on for months with no relief in sight. He cannot sleep due to tossing and turning, desperately trying to find a comfortable position.
His skin is covered with open sores that clods of dirt cling to.
Worms infest his skin (probably maggots, or possibly leeches that feed on his rotting flesh, scabs that form around the sores).

(7) O remember that my life is wind: mine eye shall no more see good.
(8) The eye of him that hath seen me shall see me no more: thine eyes are upon me, and I am not.
(9) As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more.
(10) He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more.
Job is at the point that he sees no hope of recovery, and only death awaits him.
Here today, gone tomorrow.

Now Job will speak, for his time is short.
If he is to speak his case, it must be now.
(11) Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
(12) Am I a sea, or a whale, that thou settest a watch over me?
(13) When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint;
(14) Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions:
(15) So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
(16) I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity.
(17) What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
(18) And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
(19) How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?
(20) I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself?
(21) And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

Oh, Eliphaz, my supposed “friend”. Why did you come to watch me suffer, only to add to my sorrow with your accusations?
Even if I had transgressed, I am in no shape to make restitution now.
Just go away and leave me alone.
Would not a true friend forgive for any transgression I might have committed, and just comforted me in my time of sorrow?
If I die tonight and you cannot see me in the morning, will you regret how you last treated me?

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I really love the poetic books of the bible, especially in the KJV.

The times of speaking with real passion and emotional language is becoming a lost art in the fast paced hustle and bustle of the new techno age.
Kind of a shame.

Ahh, to hear ……
“From women's eyes this doctrine I derive: they sparkle still the right Promethean fire; They are the books, the arts, the academes, that show, contain, and nourish all the world."
…… instead of …..
“You look fine.”

In my opinion, the poetic books of the bible should be read slowly, not hurriedly.
The emotion in them is astounding.
Job 7 KJV
(1) Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?
(2) As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work:
(3) So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.
(4) When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.
(5) My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome.
(6) My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope.
His life is ending, as is the natural order. Man only has an appointed time on earth (which is but a fleeting moment in eternity), and then he dies.
It is as if he were hired for a long and burdensome task, and now the hard day’s task is done and all you desire is sweet rest.
But Job has no rest.
His excruciating aches have dragged on for months with no relief in sight. He cannot sleep due to tossing and turning, desperately trying to find a comfortable position.
His skin is covered with open sores that clods of dirt cling to.
Worms infest his skin (probably maggots that feed on his rotting flesh, scabs that form around the sores).

(7) O remember that my life is wind: mine eye shall no more see good.
(8) The eye of him that hath seen me shall see me no more: thine eyes are upon me, and I am not.
(9) As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more.
(10) He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more.
Job is at the point that he sees no hope of recovery, and only death awaits him.
Here today, gone tomorrow.

Now Job will speak, for his time is short.
If he is to speak his case, it must be now.
(11) Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
(12) Am I a sea, or a whale, that thou settest a watch over me?
(13) When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint;
(14) Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions:
(15) So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
(16) I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity.
(17) What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
(18) And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
(19) How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?
(20) I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself?
(21) And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

Oh, Eliphaz, my supposed “friend”. Why did you come to watch me suffer, only to add to my sorrow with your accusations?
Even if I had transgressed, I am in no shape to make restitution now.
Just go away and leave me alone.
Would not a true friend forgive for any transgression I might have committed, and just comforted me in my time of sorrow?
If I die tonight and you cannot see me in the morning, will you regret how you last treated me?

Excellent

False Prophet

What is man? Job despaired to the point of death as though he believed that his immediate death was immanent.
Ps.8[4] what is man that thou art mindful of him,
and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
[5] Yet thou hast made him little less than God,
and dost crown him with glory and honor.
[6] Thou hast given him dominion over the works of thy hands;
thou hast put all things under his feet,
This is some biblical answer to the purpose of man.
Ps.144
[3] O LORD, what is man that thou dost regard him,
or the son of man that thou dost think of him?
[4] Man is like a breath,
his days are like a passing shadow.
Compared to God our days are like breath and a passing shadow; such is our comparison to immortality of the flesh.

False Prophet

Job.8[13] Such are the paths of all who forget God;
the hope of the godless man shall perish.
[14] His confidence breaks in sunder,
and his trust is a spider's web.
[15] He leans against his house, but it does not stand;
he lays hold of it, but it does not endure.
Job was upright and blameless in the eyes of God. These words ring true for those who do not walk with God: "The hope of godless men shall perish." Without God their is no hope. Our hope is in God, and our hope comes from God.
My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. Psalm 62:5
How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the LORD his God, Psalm 146:5

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bildad's turn

Bildad's turn

job2-11_zps26c6e76a.jpg

Job has been pouring out his expression of sorrow and misery.
He’s hurting badly.
His first friend, Eliphaz, added to his sorrow with accusations that he must be deserving of what is happening to him because God just does not pervert justice and turn His back on the righteous.

Job told Eliphaz, in no uncertain terms, that he was wrong about the integrity of Job, and that he pretty much sucks as a comforter.

So, what does Job’s second friend, Bildad, do?
Try to sooth Job’s agony?
No. Instead, he throws more of the same fuel on the fire!
Job 8 KJV
(1) Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
(2) How long wilt thou speak these things? and how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
What a way for a “friend” to start off “comforting”.
Job, your just a blowhard windbag.

(3) Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?
(4) If thy children have sinned against him, and he have cast them away for their transgression;

Ahh, yes, more “comfort”.
Gee whiz, Job. Don’t you realize that if God has cast away your children for their transgression, it was not unjust, because God does not pervert justice?

***REMINDER: All that happened to Job, his family, and his substance was without cause. Job 2:3 ***

(5) If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty;
(6) If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous.
(7) Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.
God doesn’t hide from the upright, Job.
If you were upright, God would be answering you and blessing you.

***REMINDER: Job was upright. Job 1:8 ***

(8) For enquire, I pray thee, of the former age, and prepare thyself to the search of their fathers:
(9) (For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow:)
(10) Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, and utter words out of their heart?
Bildad brings nothing new to table than Eliphaz brought.
But he does change the reference point.

Eliphaz references his own personal experiences (his dreams and what he saw and heard with his own eyes and ears).
Bildad references the accounts of what was seen and heard from those that lived before.
Eliphaz says learn from my experiences.
Bildad says learn from the experiences of those before us.
All good advice in and of itself.
Not so good if that advice is inserted into a situation where it is misapplied.

(11) Can the rush grow up without mire? can the flag grow without water?
(12) Whilst it is yet in his greenness, and not cut down, it withereth before any other herb.
(13) So are the paths of all that forget God; and the hypocrite's hope shall perish:
(14) Whose hope shall be cut off, and whose trust shall be a spider's web.
(15) He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand: he shall hold it fast, but it shall not endure.
(16) He is green before the sun, and his branch shooteth forth in his garden.
(17) His roots are wrapped about the heap, and seeth the place of stones.
(18) If he destroy him from his place, then it shall deny him, saying, I have not seen thee.
(19) Behold, this is the joy of his way, and out of the earth shall others grow.
This is reminiscent of the parable of the seeds (Matthew 13). Some grow well for a time, but later wither and choke.

Was Job one who forgot God, or was a hypocrite (verse 13)?
No.

(20) Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil doers:
(21) Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing.
(22) They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame; and the dwelling place of the wicked shall come to nought.
All perfectly reasonable sayings of God’s character in MOST cases.
But it is misapplied in the case of Job.
God actually did make it easy for an evil doer (Satan) to attack a righteous man, by withdrawing His hand of protection.

What might you think if you did not already know what went on behind the scene?
Would it not be a reasonable assumption to think as Job’s friends do?

But that’s really all they have ---- assumptions.
For they have yet to name a single wrong doing of Job himself.

Job’s “friends” are basing their assumption on the appearance of the circumstances around Job, and not on the character of Job himself.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
(20) Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil doers:
(21) Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing.
(22) They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame; and the dwelling place of the wicked shall come to nought.
All perfectly reasonable sayings of God’s character in MOST cases.

But it is misapplied in the case of Job.

God actually did make it easy for an evil doer (Satan) to attack a righteous man, by withdrawing His hand of protection.

What might you think if you did not already know what went on behind the scene?
Would it not be a reasonable assumption to think as Job’s friends do?

But that’s really all they have ---- assumptions.
For they have yet to name a single wrong doing of Job himself.

Job’s “friends” are basing their assumption on the appearance of the circumstances around Job, and not on the character of Job himself.

Correct and i agree that they were basing their assumption on the appearance of the circumstances and not the character of Job. (and i agree completely with your assessment - but playing advocate here:

I would like to ask though about the bolded red portion, Why would a believer in God, believe that it would be possible for God to withdraw protection from a righteous man? Would not that be what Jobs friends may have been thinking and would not that also be what many of us (humans) would think as well at times since we are not privy to 100 percent of someone elses actions?

Would it make sense normally for God to withhold mercy and protection on one who loves Him and serves Him unconditionally?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Correct and i agree that they were basing their assumption on the appearance of the circumstances and not the character of Job. (and i agree completely with your assessment - but playing advocate here:

I would like to ask though about the bolded red portion, Why would a believer in God, believe that it would be possible for God to withdraw protection from a righteous man? Would not that be what Jobs friends may have been thinking and would not that also be what many of us (humans) would think as well at times since we are not privy to 100 percent of someone elses actions?

Would it make sense normally for God to withhold mercy and protection on one who loves Him and serves Him unconditionally?

Good question.

My answer would be:
The word of God.
Creation itself.

Not only do we have the word of God giving us examples of both the wicked and righteous in disastrous situations, but also both the wicked and righteous in prosperous situations.

And by observing creation itself, we see that the rain falls and the sun shines on the wicked and righteous alike.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Good question.

My answer would be:
The word of God.
Creation itself.

Not only do we have the word of God giving us examples of both the wicked and righteous in disastrous situations, but also both the wicked and righteous in prosperous situations.

And by observing creation itself, we see that the rain falls and the sun shines on the wicked and righteous alike.

Good answer. ;)

Jason0047

Dear T:

I love the passage....

Matthew 5:44-45 - "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

In other words, it allows for the vehicle of faith to be in full force or effect. If some people noticed that worshiping God and loving all people brought them good things (in this world) and that not worshiping Him and not loving people would bring them only bad things (in this world) then it would no longer be faith, but it would be by what they would could get out of God here in this life (by observing such a thing with their own two eyes). It would be based upon the love of what things they could get in this physical world (1 John 2:15); And that is not faith.

However, the Scriptures make it clear that we are to be crucified to ourselves and to put on Christ and to endure persecution for His name sake (Romans 12:1) (Mark 4:17). This is the thing Job wanted to avoid in Job chapter 6 when he said for the Lord to take his suffering with the ending of his life. But Job endured persecution & he was an example for us; For Job proved & or defined what true faith really is.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Dear T:

I love the passage....

Matthew 5:44-45 - "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

In other words, it allows for the vehicle of faith to be in full force or effect. If some people noticed that worshiping God and loving all people brought them good things (in this world) and that not worshiping Him and not loving people would bring them only bad things (in this world) then it would no longer be faith, but it would be by what they would could get out of God here in this life (by observing such a thing with their own two eyes). It would be based upon the love of what things they could get in this physical world (1 John 2:15); And that is not faith.

However, the Scriptures make it clear that we are to be crucified to ourselves and to put on Christ and to endure persecution for His name sake (Romans 12:1) (Mark 4:17). This is the thing Job wanted to avoid in Job chapter 6 when he said for the Lord to take his suffering with the ending of his life. However, Job needed to endure persecution as an example for us and to prove and define what true faith really is.
Good point.

And I'm glad you posted the scripture Matthew 5:44-45.
I meant to put in parenthesis after my statement you quoted above, but forgot to.

I think it fits in well with our study.
The friends should have comforted Job simply because it is the right thing to do for one in such agony.
It shouldn't have mattered whether Job was an upright man or not.
The question of "WHY" he was in agony should not have been a factor at all.

And in fact, we will find out by the end of this book that God never gives the answer as to "WHY" Job had suffered.
If not for us being told what went on behind the scene, we would never know either.

Jason0047

Dear T:

Thank you.

Oh, and speaking of Job's lack of enthusiasm to endure persecution in Job 6:

Even Jesus recoiled at the taking on of everyones sins that was inside the cup at the Garden of Gethsmane, as well (Matthew 26:39). However, Christ was God Almighty in the flesh and He had the strength to take upon all our sins in the garden and then be crushed, bruised, and pierced for our transgressions and iniquities (Isaiah 53:5) (John 19:1-2) (John 19:17-37). Which of course, as you know, all this persecution was done by our Lord so that our eternal souls could be saved (John 3:16).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Good point.

And I'm glad you posted the scripture Matthew 5:44-45.
I meant to put in parenthesis after my statement you quoted above, but forgot to.

I think it fits in well with our study.
The friends should have comforted Job simply because it is the right thing to do for one in such agony.
It shouldn't have mattered whether Job was an upright man or not.
The question of "WHY" he was in agony should not have been a factor at all.

And in fact, we will find out by the end of this book that God never gives the answer as to "WHY" Job had suffered.
If not for us being told what went on behind the scene, we would never know either.

Like this:

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;
43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’
45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

It appears that Job's friends were not doing those things, but judging Job instead.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Like this:

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;
43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’
45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

It appears that Job's friends were not doing those things, but judging Job instead.
Yes, another good one.

And yet we still have scripture that does tell us to judge others.

That's why I sorta cringe sometimes when I see folks say things like:

• "Do not judge .... PERIOD".

or

• "Do not kill .... PERIOD".

Because it does depend on the situation.

One of my all time favorite verses are:
Ecclesiastes 3 KJV
(1) To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
(2) A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
(3) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
(4) A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
(5) A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
(6) A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
(7) A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
(8) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
So, at any given time, and at any given situation, you need to ask, "What time is it?"

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes, another good one.

And yet we still have scripture that does tell us to judge others.

That's why I sorta cringe sometimes when I see folks say things like:

• "Do not judge .... PERIOD".

or

• "Do not kill .... PERIOD".

Because it does depend on the situation.

One of my all time favorite verses are:
Ecclesiastes 3 KJV
(1) To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
(2) A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
(3) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
(4) A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
(5) A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
(6) A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
(7) A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
(8) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
So, at any given time, and at any given situation, you need to ask, "What time is it?"

I completely agree, by the word judging (as in jobs friends) I was meaning that they were not practicing righteous judgment, in that they had nothing in which to judge Job for, other than their own thoughts and experiences, but nothing that Job did.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I completely agree, by the word judging (as in jobs friends) I was meaning that they were not practicing righteous judgment, in that they had nothing in which to judge Job for, other than their own thoughts and experiences, but nothing that Job did.
Exactly.
:thumb:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 9 - Job responds to Bildad

Chapter 9 - Job responds to Bildad

imagesqtbnANd9GcTcxUeJHRWJDOz_jSl1Z_zpsf6958074.jpg

In Chapters 9 -10 Job will respond to Bildad.

And this is where it really starts to get interesting!
Not that it hasn’t been interesting up till now, but now things really start to get deep.
And I believe it to show that Job’s spiritual seeking and longing of God is far deeper than that of his friends.
The friends focus on God as some sort of powerful slave master that continually keeps His subjects in line, as is His right to do.
Job sees God as so much more.

Job realizes that Bildad has insinuated that just because Job has maintained his innocence, that he is somehow placing himself on the same level as God --- ie. perfect and upright as God is perfect and upright.

So, Job sets the record straight.

Job 9 KJV
(1) Then Job answered and said,
(2) I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?
(3) If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.
(4) He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?
(5) Which removeth the mountains, and they know not: which overturneth them in his anger.
(6) Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.
(7) Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.
(8) Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.
(9) Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

Job tells Bildad that he is well aware the gap between man & God is too vast and beyond any comparison.
It would be completely foolish for any man to even attempt to compare himself to God.
So foolish that it seems like any bridge building or settlement between man & God is utterly hopeless.
In fact, it would be foolish for any part of creation to attempt to think it could have anywhere near the power or wisdom of God.
No power or wisdom of man, creature, mountain, earth, star, galaxy, etc. would have a chance; and all are under the complete control of God.

I’m ending this post at this point, because I would like to interject some interesting background tidbits that I am working on for the star constellations mentioned in verse 9 in my next post.