Why do we get sick?

Lovejoy

Originally posted by firechyld

Were there micro organisms in the garden?

Interesting....

I believe that their were. My image of both the garden and the future paradise is a place where everything lives in a heightened harmony, not the kill of be killed balance we have now. I think that there were no pathenogenic micros (which are a very small percetage of micros) back then, and I don't think they will be in the next earth either. Either that, or immunological functions were different.

I actually talked about this a little on a different eden/fall thread. The same things occured to me, such as: how did telomeres work in a perfect body, if there were no micros how did digestion function, etc.

Also, since homeostatic regulation functions pass through the same part of the brain as the limbic system, our emotions affect our health. Being in Gods constant presence and grace must of been a huge immunological advantage for Adam and Eve. (there is a little irony in the tone of that statement, I am not entirely crazy).

Lovejoy

Originally posted by philosophizer

Considering that not all micro-organisms are harmful, it's possible that only beneficial micro-organisms existed prior to the fall. But through the course of all things afterward, some became harmful. After all, it is also believed that there were no carnivorous animals until after the flood.

Just a theory, though.

Agreed. However, since many pathenogenic bacteria are also healthy or normal bacteria (like E. coli), I think the Lord also had a different means of controlling their growth and adaptation (like maybe those things did not even happen). No Archaeans behave as pathogens, so they would have been fine.

Sadly, this all falls back on the arguments of whether or not entropy existed in Eden, etc, and gets really trite, really fast. Kinda fun, though.

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by Tatie

I am not looking for blame. I am looking for a cause, it can help me to deal with an illness. For example if all illness is from the devil due to sin, then I can confess all my sins and have the demons casted out. If it's from God, then I will have to endure and prepare for the funeral and say It's God's will. If it's "just an illness", then I will go the doctor and take anything he has to offfer.

What do you think this verse means:

2Ch 16:12 And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.

I am beginning to believe that all illness is spiritually caused.

Tatie,

Its not one or the other, physical or emotional or Spiritual. There
are multiple dimensions to sin and sickness.

The best approach to healing is to approach the whole problem
wholistically, with physicians, with prayer, with positive
attitude.

I highly highly recommend a book called "Healing and the Mind"
compiled / edited by Bill Moyers.

Dave

smaller

BANNED
Banned
As one who has been surrounded by death the last few years, sometimes it just does not matter one bit.

1 Corinthians 3:22
Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's;

We will all take what is OURS in this matter.

OMEGA

Our Loving God gave us Responsibility for our bodies

and we should take care of them by a good multivitamin

and not eating PORK, Lobster, Clams , Catfish etc. which cause

sickness in the body. Too many people eat food which God did

not intend for them to eat. God cares for us and wants us to be

healthy . That is why God gave those food restrictions

to the Israelites.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd say that might be a common conclusion, but God did not create these rules in a vacuum. We should understand the details of the restrictions and act accordingly.

Cyrus of Persia

Originally posted by OMEGA

Our Loving God gave us Responsibility for our bodies

and we should take care of them by a good multivitamin

and not eating PORK, Lobster, Clams , Catfish etc. which cause

sickness in the body. Too many people eat food which God did

not intend for them to eat. God cares for us and wants us to be

healthy . That is why God gave those food restrictions

to the Israelites.

God called ALL meat pure in NT. If you say that eating pork causes sicness, but eating cow does not, then at first you should compare those 2 groups (pork-eaters and cow-eaters) and look who is less sick. I dont think that Adventists are less sick that other Christians. What helps them to live healthier life is that they use to be more focused on healthy eating (eat more vegetables, drink more water, etc) than other Christians IMO.

Ya'nar#1

theo,

theo,

Originally posted by theo_victis

sometimes God actually gives people evil spirits.... look at saul in 1 samuel... i believe it is in chapter 18. God gives saul an evil spirit.

theo, hello again!

Let's think about this.

Did God "give" King Saul an evil spirit, as scripture says? Or did God simply remove his protective hand from Saul, allowing the devil to do what he does best?

Sometimes faith means NOT believing scripture. The exact wording of scripture is not divinely inspired. Prophets receive divine inspiration, not in words, but in images, and impressions made on their minds (non-visual). Then they put into words those things they see. And their words depend to a big extent on their education and experience.

So, how do you KNOW whether you can trust the words contained in scripture? Well, one way is this: ask yourself, how well do you know God? If you love and completely trust God, and have faith that only good comes from God, as witnessed in the life of Jesus, who did no "evil," and who came here to "show us the Father," --then to hear that God sent Saul an "evil spirit" should make you doubt scripture.

Question: Does this idea that God did "evil" stand up against the vast store of information contained in the Bible? Does it make sense, in light of the fact that Jesus did no evil on earth, and that He came here to show us our Father in heaven?

A WORD ABOUT PROPHETS

If prophets received words from God, then all the Bible would sound the same. It would all be written in one voice. But it isn't! Clearly, those things Moses wrote are vastly different than Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Daniel. Not to mention Paul and James in the NT.

I don't believe God is capable of doing evil. Whatever small amount of scripture we dredge up that suggests this is probably do more to unfortunate translations of the original text. Either way, however, I believe in my heart that I "know" God. Therefore, I love and trust Him above all else--even scripture, when it doesn't jive with who I believe God is.

May God Bless!

--Ya'nar :princess:

Last edited:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Sometimes faith means NOT believing scripture. The exact wording of scripture is not divinely inspired.

I'm sorry but this is about the dumbest statement I have seen posted outside of Leo.

Tatie

Originally posted by Dave Miller

Tatie,

Its not one or the other, physical or emotional or Spiritual. There
are multiple dimensions to sin and sickness.

The best approach to healing is to approach the whole problem
wholistically, with physicians, with prayer, with positive
attitude.

I highly highly recommend a book called "Healing and the Mind"
compiled / edited by Bill Moyers.

Dave

Thank you, I will look at it. I read a lot about body-mind connection and none of them mentioned spirit. I don't want the mind to heal me, I want God to heal me. Am I wrong?

smaller

BANNED
Banned
If I did not think that God Himself spoke directly THROUGH the writers who SAY "thus saith The Lord" I would not be interested in it's presentations.

...and yes it is ignorant to adhere to the text and then say NOT TO FOLLOW IT by "faith."

Cyrus of Persia

Originally posted by smaller

If I did not think that God Himself spoke directly THROUGH the writers who SAY "thus saith The Lord" I would not be interested in it's presentations.

...and yes it is ignorant to adhere to the text and then say NOT TO FOLLOW IT by "faith."

Not all the Bible writers are writing in style "thus saith The Lord". What about them?

How do you explain that there are different ancient manuscripts where in one some words are changed, or missing compared to other?

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by Tatie

Thank you, I will look at it. I read a lot about body-mind connection and none of them mentioned spirit. I don't want the mind to heal me, I want God to heal me. Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong. Again there's a duality to everything.
Secularists will read it and say that the mind has the ability
to convince itself to heal. Spiritual people read it and say
"yeah, well duh, its the Holy Spirit." Either way the book
is about prayer and meditation and the connections with
healing...

Dave

Tatie

The Spirit is not the mind. It controls the mind. So why not deal with the Spirit and it would take care of the mind and body? But if you say it's about prayer, I will read it.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Peace CoP

Not all the Bible writers are writing in style "thus saith The Lord". What about them?

Not meaning to sidetrack the thread, but other writers words take their place on the scale by being LESS THAN God or Christ's direct Words. Paul never made any THUS SAYS THE LORD quotes. He did recount how the Lord spoke to him and directed him and taught him. He bore the "signs" of an Apostle which means he spoke with confirmed authority, but Paul himself admittedly spoke in part and from darkness. God's direct Words bear no PART or DARKNESS positions.
How do you explain that there are different ancient manuscripts where in one some words are changed, or missing compared to other?

You can travel to Israel today and SEE the actual handwriting of ISAIAH. I do not see the "accepted text" as much "variable" except in recent re-writes where there is obvious corruption and slanting.

I also accept other texts such as some psuedopigrapha as containing some God's Direct quotes but because of various factors they are counted out. Using the Priority System keeps one on track...God and Christ's Word's above ALL ELSE, then every other man's words including yours and mine in their proper place.

enjoy!

smaller

Ya'nar#1

Originally posted by smaller

I'm sorry but this is about the dumbest statement I have seen posted outside of Leo.

Obviously you didn't bother to read what I meant by this. It is unfortunate that you always seem to be looking for something to criticise, without being willing to FIRST read my explanation.

OMEGA

Yanar,

That is Smaller's Mission in Life not to understand your posts.

Is it any wonder that in trying to Represent God's Word,

Smaller fails to follow Paul's Adomonition in how to Relate

to others

ICor 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,)that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

Last edited:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
let's see...yanar says

"Do not believe The Word by faith????"

hmmmm????

Nope, it's still a stupid remark. I don't care how much word you throw at it.