Does God know all things that are, have been, and will be?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
We cannot fathom what it is to be outside of time. There is no time-sequence in God.

Every page of Scripture clearly shows the personal, living God acting is sequence, succession, duration. Timelessness is an incoherent philosophical concept not found in Scripture.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
God operates outside of the barriers of time that we operate under. That is part of the creation that is in order for humainity.
I would assert that it is now, however, even though God knows all things that are going to happen.
Scripture?

I also believe completely in free will and find it throughout Scripture. Because it's known by Him doesn't necessarily mean it's caused by Him.
While I agree God having such knowledge would not necessitate His being the cause, the fact that He had the knowledge, and was able to have it, would necessitate that the object of said knowledge could not change therefore we could not do anything other than what He knew we would; so where is free will?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We cannot fathom what it is to be outside of time. There is no time-sequence in God.

Why do you automatically assume that something you can't fathom, must be the truth? :idunno:

Last edited:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

There is a history of events for God. He created the world, flooded it with water, sent Christ to walk this earth, etc., in a sequence/chronolgy, and anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is a history of events for God. He created the world, flooded it with water, sent Christ to walk this earth, etc., in a sequence/chronolgy, and anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

--Dave

Idiot is not what I want to really say. It is absurdly irrational, as Christians, who believe in the Bible as the Word of God and not a collection of myths, to say that the God we believe in does not do things in sequence. His existence before there was nothing else but the Trinity, his creation of the world and active participation within it must be sequential and chronological or it is a myth.

--Dave

oatmeal

Calvinism would have us believe that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Have I represented Calvinism's view correctly?

To simply my answer, I will simplify your question:

that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Yes

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
To simply my answer, I will simplify your question: Since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Yes

And how do you define eternal, and how does God being eternal help him to know what is going on in a world that is temporal--not eternal?

--Dave