Does God know all things that are, have been, and will be?

ghost

Hall of Fame
Calvinism would have us believe that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Have I represented Calvinism's view correctly?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Calvinism would have us believe that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Not quite.

God is eternal, of course, but it is because God is The Sovereign Creator that He knows all about His creation and creatures.

Nang

ghost

Hall of Fame
Not quite.

God is eternal, of course, but it is because God is The Sovereign Creator that He knows all about His creation and creatures.

Nang
Okay.

Would you say that He knows all things that are, have been, and will be?

If so, is it eternally a present reality for God?

ghost

Hall of Fame
"Eternally" or eternity?
What I'm asking is (and there is no best way to ask this) if all things that are, have been, or will be are a present reality in eternity? In other words, would you say that as God is, so is all things present in the mind of God?

If you have a better way of explaining your (or Calvinism's) view concerning what God knows, how much He knows, and when He knows it. Please explain. Thanks.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What I'm asking is (and there is no best way to ask this) if all things that are, have been, or will be are a present reality in eternity?

In other words, would you say that as God is, so is all things present in the mind of God?

Well, to answer as best and briefly as I can, you are asking two questions.

You want to know if eternity consists of all earthly events.

And you are wanting to know if all earthly events were determined in the mind of God.

The only answer lies in divine PURPOSE.

I refer to Ephesians 1:3-11 for exact reference.

Nang

ghost

Hall of Fame
Well, to answer as best and briefly as I can, you are asking two questions.

You want to know if eternity consists of all earthly events.

And you are wanting to know if all earthly events were determined in the mind of God.

The only answer lies in divine PURPOSE.

I refer to Ephesians 1:3-11 for exact reference.

Nang

Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be? There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be? There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?

Yes, and I'm not a Calvinist.

One doesn't have to be a Calvinist to be a settled theist. Many dispensationalists and others are settled theists.

To the best of my knowledge, only people who call themselves open theists deny that God knows everything. (Besides atheists)

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be?

Yes, because any temporal events have fulfilled God's eternal purposes.

There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?

Yes I do, but I see you confusing first causes with effects.

Effects never explain causes . . .

Nang

ghost

Hall of Fame
Yes, because any temporal events have fulfilled God's eternal purposes.
I think I understand what you are saying.

If the temporal events are a fulfillment of His eternal purpose, then would you say that those temporal events were eternally fully known? If so, then how can anything ever be conceived as a purpose?

I understand that I'm not formulating my questions as well as I'd like, but I'm trying to understand how it is perceived by Calvinists (and apparently others) that all things have eternally been present in the mind of God and yet Him having the ability to create or conceive anything in His mind.

Yes I do, but I see you confusing first causes with effects.

Effects never explain causes . . .
I'm not sure I understand this. Please elaborate.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Yes, and I'm not a Calvinist.
okay

One doesn't have to be a Calvinist to be a settled theist. Many dispensationalists and others are settled theists.
okay
To the best of my knowledge, only people who call themselves open theists deny that God knows everything. (Besides atheists)
Can you tell me, (and I'm going to use a term that doesn't really apply, but to try and get to the truth, I must use it) when does/did God know everything? Always? Eternally present in His mind? Forever? From the beginning? Eternity?

Just trying to understand

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can you tell me, (and I'm going to use a term that doesn't really apply, but to try and get to the truth, I must use it) when does/did God know everything? Always? Eternally present in His mind? Forever? From the beginning? Eternity?

Just trying to understand

I don't think anyone can really explain it.

God is eternal and infinite, therefore He knows everything, and has always known everything.

There are plenty of settled theists and open theists around here that will make you think you are watching some time travel-science fiction movie with a big dose of philosophy thrown in.

I can't explain it.

Good Luck!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Kind of makes you wonder why Paul would implore people to be reconciled to Christ. Or why Moses claims God brought animals before Adam.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I think I understand what you are saying.

If the temporal events are a fulfillment of His eternal purpose, then would you say that those temporal events were eternally fully known?

Yes.

If so, then how can anything ever be conceived as a purpose?

Temporal events are the result of divine purpose.

I understand that I'm not formulating my questions as well as I'd like, but I'm trying to understand how it is perceived by Calvinists (and apparently others) that all things have eternally been present in the mind of God and yet Him having the ability to create or conceive anything in His mind.

Purpose is not "created."

Creation manifests all purposes, just as created mankind's actions reveal their hearts' desires . . . upon which all Godly justice is based.

Nang

ghost

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone can really explain it.

God is eternal and infinite, therefore He knows everything, and has always known everything.

There are plenty of settled theists and open theists around here that will make you think you are watching some time travel-science fiction movie with a big dose of philosophy thrown in.

I can't explain it.

Good Luck!
Okay, thanks! :)

Should it not concern us that something that is so highly debated cannot be explained? Especially since it seems to carry so much weight in being a foundation for what we believe about God? Why would anyone be so firm in their belief concerning something that cannot be explained?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I think this simple version is more along the lines of Arminianism, which is Calvinism Lite.

What I'm asking is (and there is no best way to ask this) if all things that are, have been, or will be are a present reality in eternity? In other words, would you say that as God is, so is all things present in the mind of God?

If you have a better way of explaining your (or Calvinism's) view concerning what God knows, how much He knows, and when He knows it. Please explain. Thanks.
I believe your question is: "Are all of these things simultaneous for God; from His point of view?"