Knight's father: RIP

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks for all the prayers everyone. And special thanks goes out to Poly and NarrowWay for their love, help, and compassion, over the past week.

It's been a very hard week. Me and my dad were best friends. I still cannot believe he isn't there to visit. It seemed as if I was visiting him all the time towards the end there but now it seems like I didn't visit him near enough. :( I really loved holding his hand and talking.

My kids were extremely close to him and that makes this week especially heart wrenching.

My dad was a super interesting guy who lived a very full life so in the passing days I might share some things about him with all of you if you don't mind. For instance... he served a full stint on the front line in Korea at the height of the war, and then opted to serve another shift on the front line so that he could come home sooner and be with family, that takes courage to be certain. When he came home to the states he took up auto racing for several years. He was an extremely talented artist and eventually wound up at Martin Marietta and drew the very first concept drawings of the space shuttle, several lunar landers, Saturn rockets, and dozens of other strange ideas that NASA was dreaming up at the time.

But most of all he was a great husband to my mom, a great father to us kids, and the best grandpa you could every imagine.

He lived most of his life as an agnostic, yet about 15 years ago had a change of heart. He kept the attached note in his wallet. It's a bit tough to read but this note means more to me than just about anything on this planet.

I love you dad!

Nang

TOL Subscriber
My condolences, Knight, in your loss, but my praises for the comfort your father left you in this note.

Nang

elohiym

My dad was a super interesting guy who lived a very full life so in the passing days I might share some things about him with all of you if you don't mind.

Please do. Thank you for sharing his note. What a precious reminder of your father's devotion to God and his desire to be the best man he could be through faith.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks for all the prayers everyone. And special thanks goes out to Poly and NarrowWay for their love, help, and compassion, over the past week.

It's been a very hard week. Me and my dad were best friends. I still cannot believe he isn't there to visit. It seemed as if I was visiting him all the time towards the end there but now it seems like I didn't visit him near enough. :( I really loved holding his hand and talking.

My kids were extremely close to him and that makes this week especially heart wrenching.

My dad was a super interesting guy who lived a very full life so in the passing days I might share some things about him with all of you if you don't mind. For instance... he served a full stint on the front line in Korea at the height of the war, and then opted to serve another shift on the front line so that he could come home sooner and be with family, that takes courage to be certain. When he came home to the states he took up auto racing for several years. He was an extremely talented artist and eventually wound up at Martin Marietta and drew the very first concept drawings of the space shuttle, several lunar landers, Saturn rockets, and dozens of other strange ideas that NASA was dreaming up at the time.

But most of all he was a great husband to my mom, a great father to us kids, and the best grandpa you could every imagine.

He lived most of his life as an agnostic, yet about 15 years ago had a change of heart. He kept the attached note in his wallet. It's a bit tough to read but this note means more to me than just about anything on this planet.

I love you dad!
For now, your loss is harder because you were close! After the initial loss has settled a bit, I believe it will be far easier for you and for your kids, because you are close. I hope that makes sense. God bless you and yours!

The Berean

I love you dad!

Wow Knight, your father was an amazing man. The note he kept is so amazing as well. Speaking of the Space Shuttle did your dad draw these concept drawings?

Space_Shuttle_concepts.jpg

Glenda

Just got a call from Bob Enyart. He informed me he just finished giving a eulogy for Knight's father. He was 81 years old. He was a Korean war veteran and former race car driver. So, appropriately, Bob's eulogy centered around 2nd Timothy 4:7: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

God bless you Knight. You are in our prayers.

Sorry for your loss Knight. May God grant you and your family comfort.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
So sorry for your loss Knight. It sounds like your dad was a real man. We need more like him and unfortunately it seems we are getting fewer like him.
I know that you and your wonderful family will find comfort and strength in God our Father, His Son Jesus, and His Holy Spirit.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow Knight, your father was an amazing man. The note he kept is so amazing as well. Speaking of the Space Shuttle did your dad draw these concept drawings?
No, those are not my dads. Those drawings are likely much more recent than my dads versions of the Space Shuttle. When my dad was drawing the Space Shuttle it wasn't even called the Space Shuttle yet. :) My brother has a large blue book filled with my dads drawings from his Aerospace days and in that book there are early space shuttle drawings. I do have a couple other drawings to share with you here....

The first one is a 5 man re-entry vehicle and the second is from the Saturn Rocket project. I believe these are from around 1963-64 ish.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If all my sons end up being as loyal and honorable to their dad and me throughout our lifetime, as you have been to yours, I will end up leaving this earth with great satisfaction, knowing I was incredibly blessed beyond measure. :)

Son of Jack

For now, your loss is harder because you were close! After the initial loss has settled a bit, I believe it will be far easier for you and for your kids, because you are close. I hope that makes sense. God bless you and yours!

It does to me. I pray that you experience the comfort of God who can comfort you in all your affliction, Knight (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

The Berean

No, those are not my dads. Those drawings are likely much more recent than my dads versions of the Space Shuttle. When my dad was drawing the Space Shuttle it wasn't even called the Space Shuttle yet. :) My brother has a large blue book filled with my dads drawings from his Aerospace days and in that book there are early space shuttle drawings. I do have a couple other drawings to share with you here....

The first one is a 5 man re-entry vehicle and the second is from the Saturn Rocket project. I believe these are from around 1963-64 ish.

Awesome drawings, Knight! I wonder if your dad ever met Wernher von Braun?

:bow: Knight's dad :bow:

assuranceagent

Knight - I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose someone so special to you. I mourn for you and your family.

...but not your dad. Can you only imagine what he must be experiencing right now? Lucky guy spent his life racing and went and beat us to the finish line. ;)

Here's hoping they keep the "commie bastards" in a different section of Heaven...for their sakes!

...assuming there are any commie bastards in Heaven, of course. :think:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I love you dad!

Absolutely priceless!:cloud9: You'll get to see your Dad again someday.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Knight, I am so sad to hear of the Loss of your Father. I am sure it is more painful than you can say. You have spoken of your Father lovingly & proudly with me on many occasions on this board and in PM's so I am sure your grief is great. I will pray for you and your family during this time.

With regards and regret
Rocketman

P.S. Your Dads note really choked me up and really scares me because though my Dad knows Christ, I like you am best friends with my Dad (my Dad was my best man at my wedding) I'm not really sure I will be able to deal with this when it comes. I really feel for you Brutha I know you loved your Pop. :(