Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

I really don't read much.

Is it not possible to have misconceptions if we do not balance our understandings with critics or those of like mind? Your Open Theism view may be too narrow and overly influenced by Hill/Enyart and not stand up to scrutiny from more rounded Open Theists who interact with substantial pro/con arguments.

The Bible is our ultimate source, but iron sharpens iron in the academic community. It is important to look at information from all sides to refine and strengthen our views, lest we become myopic (short-sighted). Since our shared Open View has philosophical elements, it is simplisitic to say: "Its me, Jesus, and the Bible."

This is like saying the KJV was good enough for Paul, so it is good enough for me.:doh:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by BillyBob

And all of your beer related questions will be fielded by :BillyBob:
Wonderful! :D Now I can ask questions like:

"How do they get that widget into those Guinness Draft cans?

Where do the calories go in "lite" beer?

Why do they call the plastic rings that hold a six-pack together a "zorch"?

How come Zakath's smilely never has to use the men's room?
:freak:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Zakath

Wonderful! :D Now I can ask questions like:

"How do they get that widget into those Guinness Draft cans?

I don't like draft beer. [what's a widget????]

Where do the calories go in "lite" beer?

Same as the calories in regular beer, right to the waistline!

Why do they call the plastic rings that hold a six-pack together a "zorch"?

They do? I always just called them 'the plastic rings that hold a six-pack together'.

How come Zakath's smiley never has to use the men's room?
:freak:

Because all he has is a head, he seems to be missing the essential 'men's room' anatomy! :shocked:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath

Does "God's Criminal Justice System™" supercede current U.S. and state laws?
:confused:

God's criminal justice system is what we SHOULD be instituting and enforcing. God's criminal justice system is how a righteous country would govern.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Christine

Knight, I have a couple questions. What is Open Theism? Are Open Theism and Open View the same thing?
Good question(s).

QUESTION #1
Open Theism is the view that the future is not entirely "set" by God's ordination or by God's exhaustive foreknowledge. I.e., the future is open to the extent God has allowed.

Open theism is a view that God chose to create man with a true freewill. A will that may or may not be in accordance with God's will.

QUESTION #2
The Open View and Open Theism are the same thing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by godrulz

It is not a myth that Arminians do not believe in OSAS. It is not a myth that most OVers are not Calvinistic, but feel they are a subgroup of Arminianism (or are labeled as such).

It is not a myth that you have been influenced by Hill and Enyart (not that that is a bad thing necessarily...we do not live in a vacuum, and there are few original ideas).

OSAS is incompatible with libertarian freedom, and OSAS is usually not held by those who support genuine freedom (as the Open View in principle does; remember, bro., we are the heretics who do not believe in exhaustive foreknowledge...including one's final destiny before it is sealed by death or His coming...or so I thought...'names were erased from the book of life'...I heard us argue on TOL). It seems to me that this is an incompatible inconsistency to rightly believe in Open Theism and yet support the Calvinistic OSAS (think it through, my friend). The Enyart camp may be an anomoly and outside the majority view of Open Theists (A Pentecostal Open Theist has fewer ideas to change than a former Calvinistic Open Theist who may try to have a syncretistic compromise...which leads to more problems than it solves).

But that's just me:angel:
HUH?? :confused: I think you have pretty much misrepresented my point.

Again... The open view and OSAS are not intrinsically related.

Christine

Good question(s).

QUESTION #1
Open Theism is the view that the future is not entirely "set" by God's ordination or by God's exhaustive foreknowledge. I.e., the future is open to the extent God has allowed.

Open theism is a view that God chose to create man with a true freewill. A will that may or may not be in accordance with God's will.
Ok. In that case I have another question. What exactly do you mean by "true freewill?" Do you mean that man, not God, decides if they want to be Christians? (by this I mean not pre-destined in the Calvinistic sense of the word.) :confused: If yes, do you think God knows what they will choose, even if he doesn't influence them?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Christine

Ok. In that case I have another question. What exactly do you mean by "true freewill?" Do you mean that man, not God, decides if they want to be Christians? (by this I mean not pre-destined in the Calvinistic sense of the word.) :confused: If yes, do you think God knows what they will choose, even if he doesn't influence them?
By "true freewill" I mean a will that is not ordained either through direct ordination or through God's foreknowledge.

God influences all men in that He draws them to Him. He pull's at them through various means i.e., truth, evidence, etc etc....

Yet He doesn't actually make that eternal choice for them. That way... if they choose Him, it is a true choice and God and man can have a real two way relationship. Furthermore.... if men DO NOT choose Him they are truly responsible for their own choice.

Christine

By "true freewill" I mean a will that is not ordained either through direct ordination or through God's foreknowledge.

God influences all men in that He draws them to Him. He pull's at them through various means i.e., truth, evidence, etc etc....

Yet He doesn't actually make that eternal choice for them. That way... if they choose Him, it is a true choice and God and man can have a real two way relationship. Furthermore.... if men DO NOT choose Him they are truly responsible for their own choice.
Ok I think I'm beginning to understand. Do you think God knows who will get saved? (I don't mean predestination) Before man decides to get saved, do you think God knows what their decision will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.