Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Knight,

Sometimes, especially recently after the last upgrade, when I type up posts using MS Word the apostrophes end up getting changed to really odd characters when I paste them over to TOL.

Is there a particular font that the TOL software likes better than others that would prevent such things from happening in the future?

If you want to see an example of what I'm talking about, look at my opening post of the Is God Really Good thread where I quote both Zakath and Bob Enyart from Battle Royale VII. Since the upgrade I've had occasion to edit Zakath's portion but not Bob's so you should be able to pretty easily see what I'm talking about.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have noticed that when the database is moved from one server to another as we did last week some characters are mangled.

I am not sure why this happens.

I usually re-type my quote marks within the posting box after pasting them from word.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Knight

I have noticed that when the database is moved from one server to another as we did last week some characters are mangled.

I am not sure why this happens.

I usually re-type my quote marks within the posting box after pasting them from word.

It isn't perfect put I have noticed an improvement when I use the Arial font. If I find one that works even better, I'll let you know. :thumb:

Sozo

Originally posted by Knight

Ohhh.... so that's what happen to granite

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

It isn't perfect put I have noticed an improvement when I use the Arial font. If I find one that works even better, I'll let you know. :thumb:
Although this depends a bit on your version, a similar setting should be in all versions. This is from Word 2003, and what I use:
Change curly quotes to straight quotes and vice versa

Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ' or " ) to curly (smart or typographer's) quotes ( or ) as you type.

To turn this feature on or off:

1. On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.

2. Under Replace as you type, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box.

Note You can find and replace all instances of single or double curly quotes with straight quotes in your document. To do this, clear the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab. On the Edit menu, click Replace. In both the Find what and Replace with boxes, type ' or ", and then click Find Next or Replace All.

To replace all straight quotes with curly quotes, select the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box, and repeat the find and replace procedure.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thank you Yorzhik! :bow:

Knight, is there a "Helpful tips" section or something? If so you should add this to the list, if not there should be! :thumb:

C

cattyfan

Knight,

Could we do the Secret Santas/Angels gift exchange again this year?

:cattyfan:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cattyfan

Knight,

Could we do the Secret Santas/Angels gift exchange again this year?

:cattyfan:
:noway: Whoa! That's coming up fast!!! Thanks for the reminder; I forgot all about that. I'll get on that really soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.