Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Yorzhik

From other comments, I infer yes, but I'll ask directly...
In my opinion... the right vs. wrong issue is one of the more compelling arguments to make to an agnostic.

Greywolf

Originally posted by Knight
In my opinion... the right vs. wrong issue is one of the more compelling arguments to make to an agnostic.

How so? I don't think I've ever seen that issue used as an evangelical tool before.

Greywolf

Originally posted by Yorzhik
Wow, I would have thought it was one of the first ones GW!

*shrugs*

I've meet very few atheists/agnostics who believe in absolute morality, so that may be why I haven't really seen it used. I always thought that basing one's belief/unbelief in God on one's view of morality was doing things backwards.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Greywolf

*shrugs*

I've meet very few atheists/agnostics who believe in absolute morality, so that may be why I haven't really seen it used. I always thought that basing one's belief/unbelief in God on one's view of morality was doing things backwards.
For me..... absolute morality was one of the most compelling reasons for my conversion.

Greywolf

For me..... absolute morality was one of the most compelling reasons for my conversion.

How so? Because you wanted justification for your beliefs? (Not trying to be snide, just curious)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

How so? Because you wanted justification for your beliefs? (Not trying to be snide, just curious)
The idea that absolutes exist is an unbeatable argument.

And I finally became mature enough to understand the consequences of that.

Greywolf

The idea that absolutes exist is an unbeatable argument.

Are you talking about moral absolutes? (Just to be sure) And if so, how did you come to that conclusion as an agnostic?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Are you talking about moral absolutes? (Just to be sure) And if so, how did you come to that conclusion as an agnostic?
What conclusion? That absolutes exist?

P.S. I was really more of an atheist than an agnostic.

Greywolf

The answer is self evident.

Even your answer here affirms it.

Ack. Somehow managed to misread your last post. :doh: I meant to say, how did you come to the conclustion that absolute morals exist.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Ack. Somehow managed to misread your last post. :doh: I meant to say, how did you come to the conclustion that absolute morals exist.
By watching a couple debates and then being in a couple debates myself.

Greywolf

By watching a couple debates and then being in a couple debates myself.

What was one absolute moral you found? (I'm assuming this was before you became a Christian. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

What was one absolute moral you found? (I'm assuming this was before you became a Christian. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
I already tried to argue this with you once before and you ran like a scared rabbit. (sorry but its true)

Are you ready this time to take it a little further?

Greywolf

I already tried to argue this with you once before and you ran like a scared rabbit. (sorry but its true)

Yep. (I happened to realize that I was wrong right about the time I had to take a break from TOL due to school, but it's basically the same thing.)

Are you ready this time to take it a little further?

My participation in that thread (can't seem to find it now, else I'd post a link) was due to me testing out an idea that I had just come up with. I still don't believe that absolute morality exists, but if you can make the case for it, I'd be glad to engage you.

Status
Not open for further replies.