Famous Atheist Quotes

Redstar91

Some of my favorites come from people who contributed the most to the progress of human civility. Sorta disproves the myth that atheists have no ethical viewpoints...

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality. - George Bernard Shaw

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. - Mark Twain

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous

Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

Jesus hardly made the greatest sacrifice. He knew he would be resurrected anyway. - Anonymous

Animals do not have gods, they are smarter than that. - Ronnie Snow

Religion is the opiate of the masses. - Karl Marx

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Redstar quote
Some of my favorites come from people who contributed the most to the progress of human civility. Sorta disproves the myth that atheists have no ethical viewpoints...

Only when they ape Christian ideals and civility. :loser:

Southgarden

BANNED
Banned
"If I were not an atheist, I think I would have to be a Catholic because if it wasn't the forces of natural selection that designed fish, It must have been an Italian."
- Douglas Adams

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Adams...hmmm...funny writer...terrible hitchhiker… thumbed the wrong ride and ended up in hell. :down:

On the bright side… he’s no longer an atheist. :devil:

Southgarden

BANNED
Banned
To be honest, I don't know whether Jim Gaffigan is an atheist or not (if he isn't, he's the first funny "aatheist" (geddit?) stand-up comedian ever), but I found this rather amusing.

"Easter! The day Jesus rose from the dead, what should we do?" "How 'bout eggs?!" "Well, what does that have to do with Jesus?" "Alright, we'll hide 'em!" "I don't follow your logic!" "Don't worry, there's a bunny..."

IoverE

"The way to see by faith, is to shut the eye of reason"
Ben Franklin

"Give a man a fish he eats for a day, give a man religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish." Not sure who said it but thought it was funny

Last edited:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Dawkins punted...

Dawkins punted...

Hello Redstar91. Regarding your two Dawkins quotes ...

Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. -Richard Dawkins

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins​
I saw Ben Stein's movie Expelled 15 times as part of the American RTL movie marathon. The claim by evolutionists that somehow atheist Richard Dawkins was misrepresented by editing or tricked about the topic of discussion is untenable. Dawkins is engaged in the discussion with Stein; he admits that the complexity observed in microbiology could be evidence that life on earth originated from a higher intelligence, somewhere out there in the universe. Of course, he claims that such a higher lifeform must have evolved by some kind of Darwinian mechanism. But if genetic and cellular complexity provides evidence that life on earth is too complex to arise by chance, then evolutionists like Dawkins and Francis Crick are just punting to claim it must have originated somewhere else. Dawkins validates the Intelligent Design argument.

Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. -Richard Dawkins​

Thankful to whom?
Presumptuous toward whom?

And regarding this from Dawkins:
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins​
I offer this list of scientists from TOL's Battle Royale VII only as evidence against Dawkin's claim:

Before the a priori rejection of a supernatural realm, many brilliant men of science defended creationism as the intellectual solution to the dilemma of existence. My own list of defenders of creationism are fathers of science whom I have catalogued partly from my perusing their original writings in the Encyclopedia Britannica Great Books series, partly from reading their quotes elsewhere, and a few from third-party references.

So here is my own list of fathers of the physical sciences who rejected natural origins:

Philip Paracelsus, died 1541, Chemical Medicine
Nicolas Copernicus, 1543, Scientific Revolution
Francis Bacon, 1626, Scientific Method
Johann Kepler, 1630, Physical Astronomy
Galileo Galilei, 1642, Law of falling bodies
William Harvey, 1657, Circulatory System
Blaise Pascal, 1662, Probability and Calculators
Robert Boyle, 1691, Chemistry
Isaac Newton, 1727, Gravitation
Carolus Linnaeus, 1778, Taxonomy
George Cuvier, 1832, Anatomy/Paleontology
John Dalton, 1844, Atomic Theory

For those who object that these brilliant men lived prior to the 1859 publication of Darwin’s Origin of Species, consider the following scientific giants all of whom in a time of more open debate, publicly rejected natural origins and Darwinian evolution, and indicated that the evidence supports belief in a supernatural Creator:

Michael Faraday, 1867, Electromagnetism
Gregor Mendel, 1884, Genetics
Louis Pasteur, 1885, Microbiology
James Joule, 1889, Thermodynamics
Lord Kelvin, 1907, Thermodynamics
Joseph Lister, 1912, Modern Surgery
G. W. Carver, 1943, Modern Agriculture

The many modern scientists and inventors, from the Wright Brothers (aviation) to Werhner von Braun (space exploration), from Raymond Damadian (MRI) to Los Alamos’ John Baumgardner (Terra geophysical simulator), to the 650 voting members with post-graduate scientific degrees at the Creation Research Society, and the above listed fathers of science show that great intellect also sides with the theistic explanation of origins. An atheist who mocks theism for being anti-intellectual is ignorant or worse. On an a priori bias, today’s scientific community dismisses creationism without debate and without even considering the merits of its technical arguments. Institutional science will look for aliens (SETI) and declare intelligent life in outer space if they detect a few prime numbers out there, but it refuses to debate scientists with extensive mathematical evidence for creation in the genetic code.

Medieval academics were intellectually enslaved to the geo-centrism of pagans Aristotle and Ptolemy. They had no justification to shut down debate on heliocentricity, and had only misinterpreted evidence on their side. Today’s institutional science, enslaved by its political correctness, similarly has no justification to shut down creation debate, lacking evidence for its own presupposition that the universe, biological life, or consciousness could arise naturally.​
-Bob Enyart
KGOV.com

Last edited:

pqmomba8

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

When did I realize I was god? Well, I was praying and suddenly I realized I was talking to myself - Peter O'Toole

I WIN!!!!! :)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
I like my signature. Not sure how "famous" it is, but it certainly works.

Really? There are actually over 230 verses concerning intelligence (only it's called wisdom in the Bible). :doh:

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

When did I realize I was god? Well, I was praying and suddenly I realized I was talking to myself - Peter O'Toole

You could say that if you really were God... but you aren't, so you can't. :loser:

pqmomba8

Oh, few more - OK, I am biased here as I in my book, Frank Zappa is the greatest contemporary musician, BUT you have to admit, the man was exceptionally articulate:

The whole foundation of Christianity is based on the idea that intellectualism is the work of the Devil. Remember the apple on the tree? Okay, it was the Tree of Knowledge. "You eat this apple, you're going to be as smart as God. We can't have that."

Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy.

The language and concepts contained herein are guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business.

There is no hell. There is only France.

Get smart and I'll f*** you over -- sayeth The Lord.

Children are naïve -- they trust everyone. School is bad enough, but, if you put a child anywhere in the vicinity of a church, you're asking for trouble.

My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can.

Granite

Hall of Fame

This by the ever-quotable Hitchens seems appropriate: "Time spent arguing with the faithful is, oddly enough, almost never wasted."

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Hmmmmm.... no.... that one doesn't win either. :loser: :loser: