A key to understanding the Bible for a Catholic.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was raised Catholic. Therefore I feel compelled to help out my Catholic friends. I want to help you Catholics better understand God's word... the Bible. Catholics believe that their pope is directly appointed by God via the progression of popes that goes all the way back to Peter. Little do they know but they are dead on but not for good reason. The Catholics do in fact follow Peter. Sadly what they fail to recognize is that the story of God's dealing with man dramatically changed after Peter was made an apostle by Jesus Christ. They fail to recognize what happened after the crucifixion and most important they fail to understand the purpose of the apostle Paul being raised up to take the place of the twelve.

Granted not all protestants understand these things either. (but that's a topic for another show)

Please allow me help the Catholics out here.... (because I love you so)

KNIGHT's GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE FOR CATHOLICS:

From this point forward in your life....

Every time you think of, or read about, the Catholic Church think of Peter.
and....
Every time you think of, or read about, Peter think of the Catholic Church.

Make the Catholic Church and Peter synonymous in your mind.

Now...

Every time you think of, or read about, Protestants think of Paul.
and....
Every time you think of, or read about, Paul think of the Protestants.

Make the Protestants and the apostle Paul synonymous in your mind.

Therefore when you read a chapter in the Bible that mentions Peter replace his name with the Catholic church. And when you read a chapter in the Bible that mentions the apostle Paul replace his name with the phrase... "the Protestants" or "Christians".

Try it, it's! fun!!!

I guarantee by employing this strategy you will have a better understanding of your position in God's eyes.

Lets try a passage and see how it works....

In Galatians we read....

Galatians 2:6 But from those who seemed to be something — whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man — for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me. (Paul) 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me (Paul), as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me (Paul) toward the Gentiles),

NOW LETS APPLY MY "SPECIAL RUB" TO THAT VERSE......

Galatians 2:6 But from those who seemed to be something — whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man — for those who seemed to be something added nothing to the Protestants 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to the Protestants, as the gospel for the circumcised was to the Catholics 8 (for He who worked effectively for the Catholics for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively for the Protestants toward the Gentiles.

See???

What we find by employing this technique is that the Catholics are actually following the gospel that was given to Israel (via Peter), and the Body of Christ is/should be following the gospel that was given to the Apostle Paul.

Lets try another....

Galatians 2:11 Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed;

NOW LETS APPLY MY "SPECIAL RUB" TO THAT VERSE......

Galatians 2:11 Now when the Catholics had come to TheologyOnline.com, the Protestants withstood them to their face, because they were to be blamed;

Works every time!!

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
FYI: My "special rub" can be applied to any legalistic group that fails to rightly divide, the Catholics are just one very good example.

Spitfire

What we find by employing this technique is that the Catholics are actually following the gospel that was given to Israel (via Peter), and the Body of Christ is/should be following the gospel that was given to the Apostle Paul.
:squint:

If it were true that Catholics 1) held Peter to represent the Law of Moses (ergo: circumcision) and 2) followed Peter but not Paul, why wouldn't Catholics circumcise their baby boys? Why have they never done so? There's a big difference between us and the Simchas and Jeremysdemoes out there. They hate us, in fact.

Galatians 2:11 Now when the Catholics had come to TheologyOnline.com, the Protestants withstood them to their face, because they were to be blamed;
Paul rebuked Peter because Peter had erred in showing preference for the Jews who had kept the Law of Moses over gentile converts who had not. In other words, for acting as though some distinction between the circumcised and uncircumcised was still to be maintained. Which is the same error you dispensationalists make according to we Catholics.

SaulToPaul 2

While there are many unbiblical things in the Catholic church, their basic framework (rulers, a priesthood, laws) in claiming to
be the church of Matthew 16 is correct. The only problem is that they are not Israel and the church of Matthew 16 will not be in operation until Christ returns.

At which point, the real Peter will be resurrected and take his rightful place in leading that church.

So, as Knight pointed out, their error is failing to distinguish Paul's unique minstry and the change that took place after Peter "went to his own place" in Acts and completely dropped off the biblical scene.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If it were true that Catholics 1) held Peter to represent the Law of Moses (ergo: circumcision) and 2) followed Peter but not Paul, why wouldn't Catholics circumcise their baby boys? Why have they never done so? There's a big difference between us and the Simchas and Jeremysdemoes out there. They hate us, in fact.
A couple of points....

The Catholics DO in fact circumcise. Trust me... I was raised Catholic. :eek:

But more importantly, like most legalists the Catholics selectively follow the teachings of Jesus and Peter (they only take things"so far"). An example... Catholics don't allow their popes, and priests, etc. to marry yet Peter was married.

Matthew 8:14 Now when Jesus had come into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother lying sick with a fever.

Mark 1:30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick with a fever, and they told Him about her at once.

Luke 4:38 Now He arose from the synagogue and entered Simon’s house. But Simon’s wife’s mother was sick with a high fever, and they made request of Him concerning her.

1 Corinthians 9:5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?

1 Peter 5:13 She who is in Babylon, elect together with you, greets you; and so does Mark my son.
Yet another example of the Catholics making things up as they go along.

God says it's OK to be married and also be a church representative (if you so choose), yet the Catholics say it's not OK. :hammer:

bucksplasher

Peter People + Paul People

Peter People + Paul People

Who says you can't teach an "old dog" new information. I'd seen the Peter and Paul references on the "Gather " thread. I wasn't sure what they meant but now understand. I'm a Peter person and upon my Peter I'll stand and the gates of hell shall not prevail. tWINs

chestertonrules

BANNED
Banned
For the record, Knight, this is the year of St. Paul in the Catholic Church.

Catholics believe the letters of Paul are the word of God.

Pope urges Church to draw inspiration from Pauline year
By John Thavis
Catholic News Service
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Benedict XVI asked the whole Church to draw inspiration from the jubilee year dedicated to St. Paul and to imitate the apostle's courageous missionary efforts.
St. Paul demonstrated that with firm faith "we can overcome every form of fear," the pope said at a Sunday blessing June 22.
The pope officially was to open the Pauline year at a prayer service June 28 in the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, where the saint's tomb is located.
At his Sunday blessing, the pope spoke about the role of faith in conquering fear. He cited an episode from a difficult period in the evangelizing efforts of St. Paul, when God appeared in a vision and told him: "Do not be afraid. Go on speaking, and do not be silent, for I am with you."
In fact, St. Paul continued to preach with courage, suffering martyrdom in the end, the pope said. The church is now preparing to celebrate the 2,000th year of his birth with the jubilee year, he said.

http://www.americancatholic.org/News/yearofstpaul/default.asp

colin feener

Knight, I'm surprised. You do have some theology in you. But your still not right. Your close thought. All the disciples resurrect in the year 3007. I know you don't want to debate with me but I am a true prophet. I know every spirit in every church. Even their names. I can even prove it.
Well I will tell you so you know. The catholic church is ( Reuben ) The living spirit of the first born of Jacob. That's why the worship Mary, Because he lay with his mother. I can even show you were we are in the scriptures. If I knew you I could tell you who's spirit you have. I know you don't believe me , and I don't blame you.

chestertonrules

BANNED
Banned
But more importantly, like most legalists the Catholics selectively follow the teachings of Jesus and Peter (they only take things"so far"). An example... Catholics don't allow their popes, and priests, etc. to marry yet Peter was married.

More misinformation from you, Knight. Sorry to make you look bad again.

Latin rite Catholics cannot marry, but this is not a doctrine of faith. Faiths of other rites can marry, and married men can become Latin rite priests in certain circumstances. In fact, many of the current latin rite priests who are married have converted from Anglicanism. Celibacy is church practice, not dogma.

As to unmarried priests, we have sound reasons from scripture for this preference:

Matt 19
10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

1 Cor 7
36If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
More misinformation from you, Knight. Sorry to make you look bad again.
It's OK no need to apologize. :)

Latin rite Catholics cannot marry, but this is not a doctrine of faith. Faiths of other rites can marry, and married men can become Latin rite priests in certain circumstances. In fact, many of the current latin rite priests who are married have converted from Anglicanism. Celibacy is church practice, not dogma.
Uh... how much "practice" do they need? :idunno:

As to unmarried priests, we have sound reasons from scripture for this preference:

Matt 19
10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."
Note the "if". :duh: I hope your proof texts get better from here on out.

11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."
And he who doesn't want to... doesn't have to.

1 Cor 7
36If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better.
That verse has literally ZERO to do with priests being forbidden to marry.

It's really weird... but... have you ever actually read the Bible? Do you know anything about it? Or do you just pluck out verses, post them and claim they affirm your point? :idunno:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight, I'm surprised. You do have some theology in you. But your still not right. Your close thought. All the disciples resurrect in the year 3007. I know you don't want to debate with me but I am a true prophet. I know every spirit in every church. Even their names. I can even prove it.
Well I will tell you so you know. The catholic church is ( Reuben ) The living spirit of the first born of Jacob. That's why the worship Mary, Because he lay with his mother. I can even show you were we are in the scriptures. If I knew you I could tell you who's spirit you have. I know you don't believe me , and I don't blame you.
You are a moronic nut-ball. :kookoo:

Get a life, repent, and stop turning people away from Christianity.

Please don't make another post in this thread. Make your own threads that we can all ignore.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For the record, Knight, this is the year of St. Paul in the Catholic Church.

Catholics believe the letters of Paul are the word of God.

Pope urges Church to draw inspiration from Pauline year
By John Thavis
Catholic News Service
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Benedict XVI asked the whole Church to draw inspiration from the jubilee year dedicated to St. Paul and to imitate the apostle's courageous missionary efforts.
St. Paul demonstrated that with firm faith "we can overcome every form of fear," the pope said at a Sunday blessing June 22.
The pope officially was to open the Pauline year at a prayer service June 28 in the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, where the saint's tomb is located.
At his Sunday blessing, the pope spoke about the role of faith in conquering fear. He cited an episode from a difficult period in the evangelizing efforts of St. Paul, when God appeared in a vision and told him: "Do not be afraid. Go on speaking, and do not be silent, for I am with you."
In fact, St. Paul continued to preach with courage, suffering martyrdom in the end, the pope said. The church is now preparing to celebrate the 2,000th year of his birth with the jubilee year, he said.

http://www.americancatholic.org/News/yearofstpaul/default.asp
Please don't be a "link dropper".

TOL is for dialog not for promoting heretical garbage

Use your own words.... point vs. counter-point. Get the drill?

chestertonrules

BANNED
Banned
Please don't be a "link dropper".

TOL is for dialog not for promoting heretical garbage

Use your own words.... point vs. counter-point. Get the drill?

My words are my words.

If you want to slander the Church, then I will have to use official proclamations or the like to refute your slander.

Four O'Clock

Knight isn't making requests. This is his board. Please obey the owner of TOL. :duh:

And that's the problem and always has been; Knight insults and patronizes those that don't share his "unique" views and when called out for it plays the "banned" card or the "it's my basketball and we have to play the way I say!" attitude.

Don't expect this thread to go very far in the way civil give & take dialogue...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And that's the problem and always has been; Knight insults and patronizes those that don't share his "unique" views and when called out for it plays the "banned" card or the "it's my basketball and we have to play the way I say!" attitude.
Uhh... that's an awfully odd post coming from somebody who has been allowed to post here for years.

TOL is a debate forum. It's what we do here. I admit... it isn't for everyone and if you don't like it you are free to leave.

chestertonrules

BANNED
Banned
Is your name John Thavis? Do you write for the Catholic News Service?

The church slanders itself. Don't shoot the messenger.

I caught you in a slander.

You claimed something about the Church that is not true and I proved my point with an official Church proclamation.

Deal with it!:readthis: