Richard Dawkins - will he debate the existence of God?

mighty_duck

The problem with that is when you don't get a person with a personal investment they will often give-up or cop out. After all, if they quit who cares? (at least that's the way they see it).

We need big names or it becomes a waste of time.
I bet Dawkins feels the same way about a little known fundy who wants to debate him. Even if Dawkins wins the debate, he gains nothing. Bob gains notoriety just by showing up.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I bet Dawkins feels the same way about a little known fundy who wants to debate him. Even if Dawkins wins the debate, he gains nothing. Bob gains notoriety just by showing up.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see it.
Well... obviously you think Bob would be a good opponent and you are an adversary, so that must say something.

It isn't like Bob is just a random forum member. Bob might not be as famous as some but he has been on dozens of TV shows including nationally televised shows like Politically Incorrect etc.

Furthermore...
In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't say that Richard Dawkins is exactly Elvis Presley. :singer:

mighty_duck

It isn't like Bob is just a random forum member. Bob might not be as famous as some but he has been on dozens of TV shows including nationally televised shows like Politically Incorrect etc.
Without taking anything away from BE, my point was not unlike an SAT question.

"Random forum member" to Bob Enyart
Is like
Bob Enyart to Richard Dawkins

With the connection being that the former is less famous and has less to lose and much more to gain than the latter. I wouldn't fault either for turning down such a debate proposal.

Furthermore...
In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't say that Richard Dawkins is exactly Elvis Presley. :singer:

Shhhh! Don't let Dawkins know ;)

This is his 15 minutes, let him enjoy it. He has national and worldwide renown (for now).

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower, like radio host "infidel guy", or those annoying guys from the Rational Response Squad.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Is like

With the connection being that the former is less famous and has less to lose and much more to gain than the latter. I wouldn't fault either for turning down such a debate proposal.

This is his 15 minutes, let him enjoy it. He has national and worldwide renown (for now).

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower, like radio host "infidel guy", or those annoying guys from the Rational Response Squad.

Why set our sights lower? Though I admit it's a long shot Dawkins hasn't turned down the debate!

rexlunae

Why set our sights lower? Though I admit it's a long shot Dawkins hasn't turned down the debate!

Go for Hitchens. He's actually good at debating, and I think it would be a lot more interesting. I've never seen any evidence that Dawkins is good at debate, and he's said he doesn't like doing debates in the past.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Is like

Bob already debated Reggie.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah... as chatmaggot said, Bob already debated Reggie and while Reggie seemed like a nice guy he didn't really put up much of a fight, I am guessing he would admit that as well.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would like to see Dawkins defend his “God Delusion” ideas, however, I think he would veer hard to his main work. I think Dawkins will not debate anyone who is not a published theologian. It is purely a snobby peerage position but a general standard.

SUTG

I'd rather see Dawkins stick to Biology for the most part. He does such a good job of explaining that.

I haven't read The God Delusion, but I have seen some of his debates on the EoG that online. Not as interesting as his other work.

Sam Harris would be another candidate for a debate with Bob.

I think these guys (Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens) are probably swimming in debate proposals. Everyone wants a shot at either them or the attention they have garnered. I think Bob would be a decent candidate on the "Yes, God esists!" side, but there are others.

mighty_duck

I would like to see Dawkins defend his “God Delusion” ideas, however, I think he would veer hard to his main work. I think Dawkins will not debate anyone who is not a published theologian. It is purely a snobby peerage position but a general standard.
But Dawkins is only a mediocre theologian (albeit well published), his arguments are hardly groundbreaking.