Richard Dawkins - will he debate the existence of God?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Probably so but its too bad if he doesn't accept because it would be great entertainment. There is value in that.

I think an argument is way more credible when it is tested.

A man's work might be interesting to read but how how credible is it? Should we buy what he is preaching simply because he said so? Lets test it against the opposition and see what happens.

Oh, absolutely. It'd be a blast. Personally I suspect if Dawkins accepted the challenge you might be rather surprised as to how the man acquitted himself, but that's just me. I agree, however, that a stand-up test is preferrable than just letting a book do the talking.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh, absolutely. It'd be a blast. Personally I suspect if Dawkins accepted the challenge you might be rather surprised as to how the man acquitted himself, but that's just me. I agree, however, that a stand-up test is preferrable than just letting a book do the talking.
If I didn't think Dawkins would do a good job in the debate I would have never considered him.

Believe it or not we really do try to get the most qualified opponents for our debates, you would be surprised at some of the big names we have taken a shot at.

Ya never know until you ask! :D

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I didn't think Dawkins would do a good job in the debate I would have never considered him.

Believe it or not we really do try to get the most qualified opponents for our debates, you would be surprised at some of the big names we have taken a shot at.

Ya never know until you ask! :D
:shocked:

You mean bigger than Allsmiles?

Oh wait .. he challenged you, right?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
KNIGHT - How are you going to Prove that God Exists?

What is your Methodology ?
I am going to post random bible verses in ALL CAPS.

Oh wait, that's you. :)

I am not going to debate Richard Dawkins, I am not qualified. However, Bob Enyart is qualified so he would be debating Mr. Dawkins.

OMEGA

Bob Enyart hmm , Interesting.

Tit 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught,

that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort

and to convince the gainsayers.

WizardofOz

I'm sure if Dawkins won't (he won't) there will be some other big mouth on his forum that would jump at the chance.

Find a top poster all the other atheists worship, and look up to, and invite him or her.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm sure if Dawkins won't (he won't) there will be some other big mouth on his forum that would jump at the chance.

Find a top poster all the other atheists worship, and look up to, and invite him or her.
The problem with that is when you don't get a person with a personal investment they will often give-up or cop out. After all, if they quit who cares? (at least that's the way they see it).

We need big names or it becomes a waste of time.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
I realize all that, I was just letting Granite know that our forum is far more welcoming to the opposition then their forum is. Granite had made the comment that maybe Dawkins would be "put off" by the harshness here on TOL.
Aaah I think if it happened Dawkins would not lower himself to profanity.

You are handling yourself rather well over there it can be personally challenging to jump in the oppositions ball park, there's nothing like the home advantage though :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Aaah I think if it happened Dawkins would not lower himself to profanity.
Of course. :up:

You are handling yourself rather well over there it can be personally challenging to jump in the oppositions ball park, there's nothing like the home advantage though :)
I think it went rather well.

I tried to be as friendly as possible. Ultimately all they did was throw rocks and spit on me. There were a few nice folks over there, I wish they all treated me like a select few did. I bet we could have had a fruitful conversation.

Oh well.... I knew full well what to expect over there, I was a tad surprised at the childish behavior of some.

To each their own. :idunno:

It's funny, it's like they think we have never heard profanity before. Don't the realize we are "front liners"?

SUTG

Can ya get him???

I can't but you might be able to. I think he would be more likely to accept than Dawkins. Maybe start thread in the Bob Enyart section and have Bob confirm interest. Bob can even call him out on the radio. Then contact hitchens and let him know, although someone else might see and beat you to the invitation which is all the better...

Oh, and why do you think he would be a more interesting opponent?

Dawkins is very educated in science and tends to focus on that during hsi debates. Hitchens is more well rounded so I could see the debate covering more ground. Morality, history, philosophy and science.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dawkins is very educated in science and tends to focus on that during hsi debates. Hitchens is more well rounded so I could see the debate covering more ground. Morality, history, philosophy and science.
Well... if this Dawkins thing doesn't produce any fruit I will go after Hitchens.