Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Dawkins - will he debate the existence of God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rexlunae View Post
    Exactly.
    Yeehaw!
    I wear a size Large, please.
    Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Comment

Originally posted by Knight View Post
      It isn't like Bob is just a random forum member. Bob might not be as famous as some but he has been on dozens of TV shows including nationally televised shows like Politically Incorrect etc.
      Without taking anything away from BE, my point was not unlike an SAT question.

"Random forum member" to Bob Enyart
      Is like
      Bob Enyart to Richard Dawkins

With the connection being that the former is less famous and has less to lose and much more to gain than the latter. I wouldn't fault either for turning down such a debate proposal.

Furthermore...
      In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't say that Richard Dawkins is exactly Elvis Presley.
      Shhhh! Don't let Dawkins know

This is his 15 minutes, let him enjoy it. He has national and worldwide renown (for now).

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower, like radio host "infidel guy", or those annoying guys from the Rational Response Squad.
      "What if the Hokie Pokie is really what it's all about?"

"The best things in life aren't things"

Comment

Originally posted by mighty_duck View Post

Is like

With the connection being that the former is less famous and has less to lose and much more to gain than the latter. I wouldn't fault either for turning down such a debate proposal.

This is his 15 minutes, let him enjoy it. He has national and worldwide renown (for now).

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower, like radio host "infidel guy", or those annoying guys from the Rational Response Squad.
        Why set our sights lower? Though I admit it's a long shot Dawkins hasn't turned down the debate!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmar View Post
          Why set our sights lower? Though I admit it's a long shot Dawkins hasn't turned down the debate!
          Go for Hitchens. He's actually good at debating, and I think it would be a lot more interesting. I've never seen any evidence that Dawkins is good at debate, and he's said he doesn't like doing debates in the past.
          Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

Comment

Is like

Bob already debated Reggie.
            fidelis usque ad mortem

Comment

Originally posted by rexlunae View Post
              Now that I would love to see. Not that I think he'd do it either...but he'd be more likely than Dawkins.
              That *would* be a good one.

~SP
              As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of all government to protect all conscientious professors thereof, and I know of no other business which government hath to do therewith.
              -- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Comment

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower
                He could start at the bottom. What's your schedule like?

Comment

Yeah... as chatmaggot said, Bob already debated Reggie and while Reggie seemed like a nice guy he didn't really put up much of a fight, I am guessing he would admit that as well.
                  Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
                  TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

Originally posted by Door View Post
                    He could start at the bottom. What's your schedule like?

Comment

Guys... Door (whoever he is) deserves some rep that was a hilarious post.

Comment

Guys... Door (whoever he is) deserves some rep that was a hilarious post.
                        Sorry, but..."You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Door again."
                        Stupid forum rules.
                        Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Comment

I would like to see Dawkins defend his “God Delusion” ideas, however, I think he would veer hard to his main work. I think Dawkins will not debate anyone who is not a published theologian. It is purely a snobby peerage position but a general standard.
                          So, what?

believe it!

Comment

I'd rather see Dawkins stick to Biology for the most part. He does such a good job of explaining that.

I haven't read The God Delusion, but I have seen some of his debates on the EoG that online. Not as interesting as his other work.

Sam Harris would be another candidate for a debate with Bob.

I think these guys (Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens) are probably swimming in debate proposals. Everyone wants a shot at either them or the attention they have garnered. I think Bob would be a decent candidate on the "Yes, God esists!" side, but there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktoyou View Post
                              I would like to see Dawkins defend his “God Delusion” ideas, however, I think he would veer hard to his main work. I think Dawkins will not debate anyone who is not a published theologian. It is purely a snobby peerage position but a general standard.
                              But Dawkins is only a mediocre theologian (albeit well published), his arguments are hardly groundbreaking.
                              "What if the Hokie Pokie is really what it's all about?"

"The best things in life aren't things"

Comment

But Dawkins is only a mediocre theologian (albeit well published), his arguments are hardly groundbreaking.
                                I'd call him an atheologian. Have you read The God Delusion?

Comment

Working...
                                X