Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought I already answered this. For the purposes of playing eightball, yes, it would be accurate to refer to it as a sphere. For the purposes of using it as a template for a high precision ball bearing, probably not.

I think I'll take that as a, "Yes". :chuckle:

Do you really think we need the geological equivalent of a "high precision ball bearing" in order to determine whether sedimentary layers cover the Earth?

koban

I think I'll take that as a, "Yes". :chuckle:

Do you really think we need the geological equivalent of a "high precision ball bearing" in order to determine whether sedimentary layers cover the Earth?

Yes, or at least a theory that explains anomalies. For instance, in a world wide flood as described by Walt, one would expect to see universal and uniform sedimentary layers. Since one does not, one would expect a proposal to account for deviations from expectations.

For example, why does one find areas with no sedimentary layers?

Why, in the sedimentary layers exposed by the Grand Canyon, does one see three distinct bands of shale, for instance?

Neverfox

Anyway - my challenge is:
How did natural events work together in order to wipe out all the dinosaurs, but not wipe out everything?

Stipe:

It's a flaw in this whole thread that the "event" was total destruction. I'm surprised we haven't moved on from the mistaken thesis. But since we haven't I can offer plenty of common sense to your challenge. Warning to creationists: I'm about to theorize using common sense and logical thought based on commonly understood principles of ecology and biology.

Because Dinosaurs were very large and high-consuming animals. From a biological perspective they embodied the phrase "The bigger they are the harder they fall." Many large scale events like asteriods and volcanos don't work like nuclear bombs. They don't immediately incinerate all life on the planet. Instead they destory a small area around impact or eruption. Then the fallout occurs over months and even years. The debris that can enter the atmosphere can literally blot out the sun around the globe even though it is isolated at impact. It can cause drastic climate change and shifting weather patterns. This can lead to drought and changes in the food chain. These events don't kill everything and may not even kill most things. It just makes things suck really badly for a really long time.

The dinosaurs would probably have been the hardest hit by even slight disruptions in the status quo. Being at the top of the food chain is not always a good thing. They probably required hundreds of pounds of food daily. A major event that distrupted this would have led to starvation or cannibalism or simply death from being unable to adapt quickly to environmental changes (they were cold-blooded) etc. Imagine living in paradise and having it taken away overnight. I think you Christians have a story like that ;) Small mammals, fish (and yes microbes) could survive adapt. The misperception is that an asteriod would be like a giant bomb that destories the whole earth. Sorry but no.

And to your remark that evolutionists are somehow shady because we have more than one possible explanation for extinction of dinosaurs is so silly. It's the creationists that keep claim it can only be god and nothing else but offer no support to make the argument stronger. At least the multiple scientific theories have support in the world around us that we can use as a basis for building them. By having more that one non-god possibility we simply show that it's not difficult to explain god out of the picture. Not being certain of which one doesn't weaken the case that god isn't needed to make the picture consistent.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, or at least a theory that explains anomalies. For instance, in a world wide flood as described by Walt, one would expect to see universal and uniform sedimentary layers. Since one does not, one would expect a proposal to account for deviations from expectations.

For example, why does one find areas with no sedimentary layers?

Why, in the sedimentary layers exposed by the Grand Canyon, does one see three distinct bands of shale, for instance?
Hold on, boyo! All I am saying is that sedimentary rocks cover the Earth. Do you agree with that statement or not?

Pretend I'm a guy down at the pool hall who just said he sank the black sphere (unfortunately it was pool, and it wasn't the last ball).

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stipe:

It's a flaw in this whole thread that the "event" was total destruction. I'm surprised we haven't moved on from the mistaken thesis. But since we haven't I can offer plenty of common sense to your challenge. Warning to creationists: I'm about to theorize using common sense and logical thought based on commonly understood principles of ecology and biology.

Because Dinosaurs were very large and high-consuming animals. From a biological perspective they embodied the phrase "The bigger they are the harder they fall." Many large scale events like asteriods and volcanos don't work like nuclear bombs. They don't immediately incinerate all life on the planet. Instead they destory a small area around impact or eruption. Then the fallout occurs over months and even years. The debris that can enter the atmosphere can literally blot out the sun around the globe even though it is isolated at impact. It can cause drastic climate change and shifting weather patterns. This can lead to drought and changes in the food chain. These events don't kill everything and may not even kill most things. It just makes things suck really badly for a really long time.

The dinosaurs would probably have been the hardest hit by even slight disruptions in the status quo. Being at the top of the food chain is not always a good thing. They probably required hundreds of pounds of food daily. A major event that distrupted this would have led to starvation or cannibalism or simply death from being unable to adapt quickly to environmental changes (they were cold-blooded) etc. Imagine living in paradise and having it taken away overnight. I think you Christians have a story like that ;) Small mammals, fish (and yes microbes) could survive adapt. The misperception is that an asteriod would be like a giant bomb that destories the whole earth. Sorry but no.

And to your remark that evolutionists are somehow shady because we have more than one possible explanation for extinction of dinosaurs is so silly. It's the creationists that keep claim it can only be god and nothing else but offer no support to make the argument stronger. At least the multiple scientific theories have support in the world around us that we can use as a basis for building them. By having more that one non-god possibility we simply show that it's not difficult to explain god out of the picture. Not being certain of which one doesn't weaken the case that god isn't needed to make the picture consistent.
I'm not sure you fully appreciate the challenge. There are more dinosaurs than just the big lumbering ones that ate a forest a day. How did an asteroid manage to wipe out all the dinosaurs, including the tiny ones, without wiping out everything?

Pekkle

I'm not sure you fully appreciate the challenge. There are more dinosaurs than just the big lumbering ones that ate a forest a day. How did an asteroid manage to wipe out all the dinosaurs, including the tiny ones, without wiping out everything?

I'm sure some of the reptiles survived ;)

Sealeaf

How does a dose of penicillin wipe out some bacteria and not wipe out everything in your body? It is the same problem and there is the same answer. What was vulneable to that particular challenge was killed by it. What was not vulneable was not killed.

Not rocket science.

koban

Hold on, boyo! All I am saying is that sedimentary rocks cover the Earth. Do you agree with that statement or not?

Seeing how my front yard is granite, I'd have to say no.

Pretend I'm a guy down at the pool hall who just said he sank the black sphere (unfortunately it was pool, and it wasn't the last ball).

I'd buy him a beer.

koban

What makes you think "all" the dinosaurs were wiped out? I believe the current thinking is that those with a means to survive cold (proto-feathers, for example) were better able to survive.

Besides, why are you struggling with the concept that debris from a comet impact blocks the sun, drops global temperatures and diminishes the food supply, and adversely impacts cold-blooded critters (of any size) and those that require massive food supplies?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How does a dose of penicillin wipe out some bacteria and not wipe out everything in your body? It is the same problem and there is the same answer. What was vulneable to that particular challenge was killed by it. What was not vulneable was not killed. Not rocket science.
It actually is rocket science to send an asteroid that wipes out every dinosaur without wiping out anything. If the impact and its consequences was enough to make life impossible for the smallest dinosaur then how were the rest of the animals supposed to survive?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seeing how my front yard is granite, I'd have to say no. I'd buy him a beer.
I see. So it is only if your ideas are challenged that you're prepared to be unmovably pedantic?

Fact is, koban, the world is covered with enough sediment to indicate that every part of it was under water. That's simple and undeniable reality and the only point I was making before you started this really pointless, though somewhat entertaining, diversion.

By the way did you know that the Earth is more spherical than a billiard ball? :)

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What makes you think "all" the dinosaurs were wiped out? I believe the current thinking is that those with a means to survive cold (proto-feathers, for example) were better able to survive.

Besides, why are you struggling with the concept that debris from a comet impact blocks the sun, drops global temperatures and diminishes the food supply, and adversely impacts cold-blooded critters (of any size) and those that require massive food supplies?
I think if you read the thread you'll find that the discussion is not about what you think it is about. We all know there are multiple theories on why dinosaurs were wiped out. I'm simply pointing out to the newcomers that it is impossible to stick to only one story to explain things from an evolutionary point of view.

When a theory requires another theory that generally weakens both.

koban

I see. So it is only if your ideas are challenged that you're prepared to be unmovably pedantic?

Fact is, koban, the world is covered with enough sediment to indicate that every part of it was under water.

Spoken like a true scientist, Stipe! :darwinsm:

That's simple and undeniable reality and the only point I was making before you started this really pointless, though somewhat entertaining, diversion.

Stipe, you're gonna believe what you wanna believe, I'm not trying to change your mind. But it is easy (and fun!) to make you look like a rube. :chuckle:

By the way did you know that the Earth is more spherical than a billiard ball? :)

Yes. Yes, I did. But I wouldn't use either of them as a template for a high speed ball bearing.

Now, to get back to Walt Brown's theories, can anyone explain the three distinct bands of shale in the wall of the Grand Canyon?

koban

I think if you read the thread you'll find that the discussion is not about what you think it is about. We all know there are multiple theories on why dinosaurs were wiped out. I'm simply pointing out to the newcomers that it is impossible to stick to only one story to explain things from an evolutionary point of view.

When a theory requires another theory that generally weakens both.

Comet strikes earth. Debris cloud goes up.

You with me so far?

Sun gets blocked, global temperatures drop, photosynthesis compromised.

Still with me?

All life suffers, cold-blooded animals more so.

Still holding on?

All life suffers, those requiring massive food intakes more so.

Any questions?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Spoken like a true scientist, Stipe! :darwinsm:Stipe, you're gonna believe what you wanna believe, I'm not trying to change your mind. But it is easy (and fun!) to make you look like a rube. :chuckle:
Uh .. okay...

Yes. Yes, I did. But I wouldn't use either of them as a template for a high speed ball bearing.
:chuckle:

Now, to get back to Walt Brown's theories, can anyone explain the three distinct bands of shale in the wall of the Grand Canyon?
I'm sure Dr. Brown could :thumb:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Comet strikes earth. Debris cloud goes up.You with me so far?Sun gets blocked, global temperatures drop, photosynthesis compromised.Still with me?All life suffers, cold-blooded animals more so. Still holding on?All life suffers, those requiring massive food intakes more so.Any questions?
Yes. How did all this wipe out all the dinosaurs, but not everything?